Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 05-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #171
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milo View Post
Sure I can fix it myself but a warped/wobbly base on a statue that is called "masters collection" with a pricetag around 2250 Euro (2500 USD) isnt acceptable.
Is it truly warped though? And if it is can you tell it’s warped by looking at it?

I agree it’s not acceptable, at least not without some form of compensation, but that’s just me. Having to level out a base isn’t something I’d personally get worked up over. I don’t care how much money you pay, there is no such thing as a flawless statue. I certainly wouldn’t return this and run the risk of getting one that’s actually broken and maybe miss out altogether.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #172
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

ATTENTION FUTURE TREEBEARD OWNERS!!!!

For those that ordered Treebeard from SFS, first of all THANK YOU! Second, Treebeard will be shipping out around the First Week Of JUNE!!!

Congrats on getting this awesome piece, I know you’ve been eagerly anticipating its arrival and now that there is a definitive ship date I would like to pass along an assembly video made by Weta.

Weta created this awesome instructional video on how to unpack the statue for all the lucky Treebeard owners. This item is VERY limited and there aren’t a lot of replacements, so be sure to watch this video to learn how to properly remove and assemble your Treebeard statue. Thx!!

How to unpack Treebeard: https://youtu.be/d91OhG-Hbe0
The link can also be found here: https://www.wetanz.com/shop/figures/treebeard
Spec Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 AM   #173
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
How's your base? mine is wobbly and I'm not the only one when you read the comments on the Flame of Udun forum.
Even Weta's own Treebeard from the instruction video is wobbly. You can notice this when you play the video at 1/4 speed (from 0:58 to 1:00 and at 1:07)
Do you mean the base of the actual statue or the box it’s sitting on?
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #174
Darth Milo
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Is it truly warped though? And if it is can you tell it’s warped by looking at it?

I agree it’s not acceptable, at least not without some form of compensation, but that’s just me. Having to level out a base isn’t something I’d personally get worked up over. I don’t care how much money you pay, there is no such thing as a flawless statue. I certainly wouldn’t return this and run the risk of getting one that’s actually broken and maybe miss out altogether.

I will definitely keep him and fix the issue myself, not worth the stress and I could indeed receive a replacement with bigger issues and you can't really see it when looking at it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Do you mean the base of the actual statue or the box it’s sitting on?
The base of the statue.
I have uploaded a YT video so you can see for yourself.. search for: "weta treebeard wobbly base".
Darth Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #175
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:

The base of the statue.
I have uploaded a YT video so you can see for yourself.. search for: "weta treebeard wobbly base".
No the base on the actual statue of mine is rock solid. By the looks of it a couple of extra pads underneath the base on each side and you should be good
Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #176
supra
Doh!

all the branches

For those folks receiving or yet to receive their TB statue, if you use the hair dryer method mentioned in the WETA 'How to' video in order to set the bends you make in the branches, immediately run it under cold water.
For example, take one of the big branches from the yellow,green or orange labelled bags(the biggest branches), hold it under your hair dryer on high setting, move it around a bit, when it gets soft it will kinda wilt or get floppy, set the hair dryer aside, bend the branches to your liking, hold them in that position, then straight under the cold water faucet and it should stay in that position.
The branches in the pink and blue bags (smallest) may not need bending, your choice. If you do bend them, use tweezers to hold them so you don't burn your fingers. Do remember, leaves have a top and bottom side, so install them correctly. Hope this helps.
Wyatt
supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #177
goto
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
For those folks receiving or yet to receive their TB statue, if you use the hair dryer method mentioned in the WETA 'How to' video in order to set the bends you make in the branches, immediately run it under cold water.
For example, take one of the big branches from the yellow,green or orange labelled bags(the biggest branches), hold it under your hair dryer on high setting, move it around a bit, when it gets soft it will kinda wilt or get floppy, set the hair dryer aside, bend the branches to your liking, hold them in that position, then straight under the cold water faucet and it should stay in that position.
The branches in the pink and blue bags (smallest) may not need bending, your choice. If you do bend them, use tweezers to hold them so you don't burn your fingers. Do remember, leaves have a top and bottom side, so install them correctly. Hope this helps.
Wyatt
Will try it,thanks
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:43 AM   #178
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Wyatt
Good tip on the cold water
I’ve still got to do mine but I’ll definitely use that method.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #179
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Wyatt
I wouldn't do that on high, and I also wouldn't run cold water over them, if you use a lower heat setting it will take slightly longer, but they won't deform as much and you can just hold in place till it cools off naturally or use your cool setting on the dryer. I would actually recommend a real heat gun as opposed to a hair dryer, they are not that expensive and can be used for many other jobs.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #180
supra
Doh!

all the branches

I was sharing the method I used and didn't have any problems. Anybody trying this method should of course do a trial. Without the cold water I found the branch just went back to it's original position.
Most people have a hair dryer, so why buy a heat gun? It worked fine for me and WETA's Leonard Ellis, although he did it with the branch on TB, but he's a Professional.
I was a bit concerned about messing up the paint on the branches but saw no ill effects. Looking closely at the branches, the artists really went to town, to me, not just painting the stems/branches a blah brown and the leaves blah green, but putting 'texture'. Well done WETA.
Also, concerning the branches, I found several that would not fit into the holes. So, out came the Xacto knife and trimmed the end until it fit. For some this may not be acceptable as this is a high end collectible and may feel that this would de-value the piece. For me, I bought it to display and enjoy, not to flip it. So, you'll have another choice to make, to trim or not to trim (and leave the branches in the bags). Enjoy.
Wyatt
supra is offline   Reply With Quote