Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #23671
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Kodachrome 8/10 Small scale movie picked up by Netflix. Really nice movie, worth a watch. Stars Jason Sedeikis, he has a Tom Hanks kind of vibe, can do comedy and serious easily.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #23672
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Avengers: Infinity War - 2.5/5

Too many pointless subplots and Thanos wasn't anywhere near the bad ass I hoped he would be. Another mediocre comic movie for me unfortunately.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #23673
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Ninja Batman 7/10

Silly at times with the haircuts and a bat monkey (sort of).
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #23674
Luminous
Cyclops

In anticipation of Inifinity War I rewatched the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe throughout the past few weeks.

Iron Man - 9/10 The film that started it all. I love that this film is more than simply a historic landmark for this unprecedented franchise. It's a fresh take on the genre, it's funny, well acted, and all around excellently put together. If you only have time to watch one "Making of" featurette be sure to make it this one. How this film was brought to life was very reminiscent of Star Wars.

The Incredible Hulk - 6/10 That may seem like a low score but this movie actually isn't bad in my opinion. It simply just feels like another Hollywood superhero film. Both this film and Iron Man were shot simultaneously. The difference? Robert Downey Jr. In RDJ Marvel stumbled across a persona and performance that would guide the future for all their films. Unfortunately the film makers for Hulk didn't yet have access to that guide.

Iron Man 2 - 8.5/10 I think I actually prefer rewatching IM 2 over the original. Now that Favreau, RDJ, and Feige had a better sense of how to approach these films I feel they were able to have more fun with it. That and in addition to the fact they had a much larger budget and the origin story was out of the way, meant the film's tone and pacing could move at a more brisk pace. The story isn't as engaging as the original but to me the movie has made a number of improvements through better pacing, improved effects, and increased number of action set pieces. Just wish the final confrontation with Whiplash was less anti-climactic. That with the less engaging story leaves it just slightly below the original.

Thor - 7/10 This was a tough one to rate. I am still not sure this is what I think it deserves. While the film does a great job of making such fantastical and mythical characters relatable, the overall pacing of the film is really slow. And aside from a pretty good action set piece in the beginning, action is mostly absent from this movie. The Destroyer's scene was completely wasted. That, and I know this is a nitpick, but I can't seem to get past Hemsworth's wig and makeup. The attempt to make his eyebrows and beard more blonde is so bad it takes me out of the film. Anyway, the score mostly reflects the pacing and lackluster or entirely absent action.... dat makeup doh.

Captain America: The First Avenger - 9/10 What's funny is that before watching the film this last time around I think I would have rated it lower. I just recall finding some elements a little corny and wishing some action scenes were a little more gritty. Not sure what's changed my view but I actually find the dialogue and action to be perfect for the character. Especially for his cinematic debut. No one is more perfectly cast in the MCU (arguably all of modern cinema) than Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. However, Chris Evans as Cap is pretty close. The only thing holding this film back is the inexplicable ending. Why does he "have" to put the plane in the water? I get he needs to end up in ice, but what part of the situation he was in demanded he bring the plane down? Why not continue on his course and land or simply turn the plane around? I'll forgive it cuz I love Cap, Chris Evans as Cap, and the movie in general, but it definitely keeps it from every being considered perfect.

The Avengers - 9.5/10 Damn near perfection. Marvel's vision finally realized and it pretty much couldn't have been better executed. Whedon's sense of bringing a large group of interesting characters together, having them blend together yet shine as individuals is what makes the whole thing work. Granted it couldn't have been as seamless without the excellent build up and direction from Feige and Marvel. The established threat of the Cube and Loki provided Whedon the ability to hit the ground running. The same can be said for the films protagonists. Big otherwordly conflict with bigger than life characters that required zero to minimal exposition equals a heluva good time. Whedon and his cinematographer also provided some truly excellent action set pieces. There are so many memorable combat maneuvers and stunts, it's simply impressive. The only hiccup is Cap's suit. Damn does he stick out like a soar thumb.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:34 AM   #23675
Luminous
Cyclops

The wall of text above me makes me think I should try and keep these reviews a little shorter. Will attempt to do so.

Iron Man 3 - 7/10 This film seemed to want to establish that the real hero was Tony Stark and not Iron Man. To most he is one and the same. However, he spends so much time out of the suit in this one that it seemed more like the adventures of Tony Stark instead of he and the suit being the same thing. My score doesn't even weigh in on the Mandarin controversy. I have no problem with it. Makes sense with what they were going for. Just wasn't a big fan of the theme of the film nor it's overall presentation. Still, RDJ as Tony Stark still provides entertainment.

Thor: The Dark World - 7.5/10 That's right. I enjoyed this one more than the first. Hemsworth looks more natural and therefore doesn't take me out of the film and the movie moves at a much better pace. The plot is mostly forgettable and doesn't have that Shakespearean family drama, but the movie was simply more fun.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 10/10 Here it is. The pinnacle of the MCU. I actually watched this movie twice in the same week last week. In my eyes it's a perfect film. There isn't anything I would change about it. It's incredible that it is as cinematic as the biggest blockbusters of our time yet feels like it was ripped straight out of the comics. The action, intrigue, story, pacing, editing, musical composition are all at the top of their game. I know that seems like a broad generalization of good qualities but I could fill this entire post in text breaking down why I think this movie works so well. That Arnim Zola scene. Nerdgasm.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.5/10 Prior to this little marathon I held for myself, I would have unquestionably rated this film higher. The film is still great. It's great sci-fi, it has an incredibly unique cast of characters, it's often hilarious, and the soundtrack is amazing. However, I guess I've seen the movie so many times now that I've begun to see the spaces in between. On this last viewing I noticed a lot of the dialogue doesn't flow naturally. A lot of it even feels forced. And while Ronan can appear menacing, he more often than not seems a little too comical. Still though, the fact we got such amazingly detailed and emotionally impactful representation of these cosmic characters is astonishing.

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8/10 It is my belief that the biggest difference between this sequel and the original is that AOU's conflict and antagonist had to essentially start from scratch. We've still got our larger than life heroes, that MCU tone, and more than capable director, but the core of the film is self contained. So that meant that bigger connection to a larger narrative was absent. The film also seems to lose it's way a bit by having too many instances of our team of heroes doing their own thing. It makes the film feel disjointed at times. That said I still really enjoyed it. It could have just used more focus.

Ant-Man - 9/10 Simply hilarious. Love Paul Rudd as Scott Lang. Not only is the film funny but it does a great job of establishing that Ant-Man's abilities can be very instrumental in this universe. Aside from that the film moves at an excellent pace. It's a really easy film to rewatch. The quality of a great heist film.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #23676
Luminous
Cyclops

And the walls of text continue...

Captain America: Civil War - 9/10 The Winter Soldier story line continues and that's easily the best quality of the film. The Russos have established they can tell a focused story with incredible action set pieces. However, this film can feel overcrowded. As awesome as the airport scene is, as amazing it is to finally have Spider-Man in this universe, it's those two elements that I feel are the film's biggest detractors. Those two elements add nothing to the core narrative of the movie's conflict. The film drags when characters go out and recruit for their respective sides. They're well put together scenes and can be very entertaining. However, they simply don't mesh with the main plot. Since they are still well put together on their own, and the main plot is incredibly engaging, the film however still earns high marks from me.

Doctor Strange - 9/10 Just another all around well put together film. I definitely enjoy this movie more and more after each viewing. The way the mystic arts works and is presented visually helps this movie really stand out from it's MCU brethren. I wouldn't say the casting of Cumberbatch is a revelation or anything, but I really enjoy his performance as Strange. Really looking forward to how his character interacts with the rest of the MCU.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 9.5/10 Didn't think I'd say this, but I definitely prefer Vol. 2 over the original. Gunn is simply more comfortable with his characters this time around. The dialogue flows more naturally between the characters, they're funnier, and somehow they're even more emotionally impactful than before. The ending is simply beautiful. And I know a lot people will disagree, but I think the soundtrack is superior this time around. I'm not saying the songs individually are better, but together as a soundtrack to help tell the story of a film they work much better. Each track is clearly more carefully chosen for each scene. The end result is a more moving experience. Love this group of characters.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 8.5/10 Really enjoyed the more lighthearted tone of this Spider-Man. I know Spider-Man's life is filled with tragedy in the comics, but the other half of what makes Spider-Man so appealing to me is his youthfulness and sense of humor. And while this Peter Parker wasn't exactly a comedy genius himself the film as whole does a great job of balancing both the serious gravity of the situations Peter finds himself in and the playful side of the character. Raimi's first two Spider-Man films had the drama in spades (albeit with plenty of camp), but the MCU brought a more well rounded experience for the character. Thankfully without the camp.

Thor: Ragnarok - 8.5/10 Man, has this character gone through quite the journey. We went from brash shakespearean hero, to ladies man action star, to comedic action star. I don't mind. It's made for progressively more entertaining films. And it also makes sense for the character. The more time he spends outside of his own culture, among other races like humans, it stands to reason he adapts some of their traits. Anyway, the film. Lots of fun. Thor himself is more entertaining, we get more dynamic duo scenes with Loki, the film as whole is visually stimulating, some really funny scenes, and we get a great team up film with Hulk/Banner. Initially I had my gripes with the liberties taken with the source material, but I quickly got over those. Especially when I stopped to think about the great tribute to the art style of Jack Kirby. What holds it back for me is the conflict. Yes Hela is all powerful and Ragnarok is upon everyone. However, it never really felt like anything was on the line. The natural byproduct of the new comedic tone?

Last edited by Luminous; 04-26-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #23677
built2shred
Phoenix

That's pretty much how I would rate those Marvel movies....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #23678
Vracula
Jedi Order

I think the Marvel's true brilliance is taking all these over the top characters and costumes and making them grounded and relate able . I mean growing up in the 90's can you imagine how they would potray someone like Doctor strange lol. Granted the CGI wasn't there but even then it would have been bad. These movies will age real well.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #23679
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Haven't come up with a score for Infinity but this movie rocks. Will gladly see this in the cinema a couple more times before deciding on a score. Thanos.....wow.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #23680
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
Avengers: Infinity War - 2.5/5

Too many pointless subplots and Thanos wasn't anywhere near the bad ass I hoped he would be. Another mediocre comic movie for me unfortunately.
Did you like it more or less than Avengers: Age of Ultron?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote