Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #121
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
If Bruce Banner was black I wonder what color would be the Hulk.
a darker shade of green..
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #122
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
But you could simply change their back story as you are suggesting for JStorm.
Yes, you could change them. But that would be a significant change to whom those characters are--wealthy Brits living in the total contrast of a tropical jungle. I don't see the big change that has to be made to Johnny Storm's history if he has a different skin color.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #123
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
But you could simply change their back story as you are suggesting for JStorm.
BINGO!!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #124
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Yes, you could change them. But that would be a significant change to whom those characters are--wealthy Brits living in the total contrast of a tropical jungle. I don't see the big change that has to be made to Johnny Storm's history if he has a different skin color.
thats exactly it man. its all about the history of the character through the years.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #125
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
to answer your question,
from the time he was created back in 1961. he was crated white just as LC and BP was created black. thats where his skin color has played an important part of history.
its the fact that the characters we are talking about have been a certain ethnicity for what ever reason for an x amount of years. and my point is. its ridiculous to change any one of their ethnicity.
for the reason your giving for BP and LC all the more reason for JS to stay white.
its funny how its ok to use the history card for the black characters but not white ones.
sorry but it is "generally" the same thing. Johnny storm has been white for the past 52 years and from NY city. and has been a brother to a white sister. all the more reason why it doesn't make any sense to make him black just for the sake of pleasing or trying to make it up to the black community for what has been done in the past. and just to let you know there are white people who live in Harlem also and are members of gangs there. not all people who live in Harlem are black. so Luke Cage could be changed to a white guy easily just as JS could be. i see your point on Black panther. but Johnny Storm has been a member of a white American superhero team in which history tells us that he has been white (along with all the other team members). your talking about history and so am i when it comes to iconic comic book superheroes who have been one ethnicity for their entire existence for past 52 years. but from what your saying it sounds like your talking more about the politics of ethnicity rather than ethnicity itself.
why isn't a white person's color of their skin as important as that of the black colored characters? its asinine to think its not. LC was a leader of a Harlem gang and BP was a king of an African tribe so their ethnicity should never be changed. i get that. and i agree. but all the same reason why JS's ethnicity shouldn't be changed becasue he is a crucial member of the very first iconic Marvel superhero team. which was all white.
That Johnny Storm is from NY and has been white for 52 years does not make the fact that he is white important. It's not like he's from the farm town Smallville, Kansas which is another good example of the reverse not working either, suggested in the article posted by metroid.

Yes, you could make Black Panther and Luke Cage different races in movies as there are different races of people in Africa and Harlem, but all other things about those characters staying the same, non-black actors in the roles would not be as believable to people seeing them for the first time.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #126
ParisDean

It has been fun debating with you guys on this subject, but I have to log off now. Maybe I'll be back tomorrow to answer more of your questions.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #127
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
It has been fun debating with you guys on this subject, but I have to log off now. Maybe I'll be back tomorrow to answer more of your questions.
You haven't answered any questions. You've given your opinion, just like everyone else on here. You're no more more an authority on this subject than the rest of us.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #128
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Non comic book fans movie goers have seen JS as a white man twice. They have never seen either Black Panter or Luke Cage on the big screen so they could easily be changed. There would be confusion if JStorm's race is changed. In many ways BP is a copy of Phantom.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #129
risingstar
Jedi Order

Johnny Storm is now going to be black?
Black Panther is going to be white?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #130
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

It'd be really weird to cast a white guy to play a character who is called BLACK Panther.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote