Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola trash MCU

Scorsese said that Marvel movies aren't "cinema" and likened them to a theme park. Coppola agreed and added that they're "despicable".

What do you guys think? Bitter old timers that are jealous of the money the MCU movies are bringing in or is there some truth?

They're both incredible directors and I kind of see Scorsese's point. I know it's not his place to define what's cinema, but I would agree that it seems like certain movies are getting overdone and are a bit shallow similar to the Transformers movies. There's some standouts like Ironman 1 and IW(haven't seen Endgame yet) but most just seem like cash grabs because they know superhero movies are hot. DC has their fair share of those too, but I really enjoy The Dark Knight trilogy and Joker especially if you'd count it.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

There were parts of GOTG that did resemble a theme park ride, especially when I watched it in 3D.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
built2shred
Phoenix

I agree that the MCU is not academy award winning material but I don't see them as being "despicable".

They're summer time popcorn eating block busters, Hollywood has always had these types of movies during the summer time. Star Wars and Star Trek both fall into this category also. They are also something the whole family can go see together and all enjoy, that's something you can't say about Scorsese or Coppola movies.

I think with the Academy trying to boost their ratings by adding MCU movies to the best picture category has offended some from the old school of movie making. It's like Spielberg complaining about Netflix movies being nominated for the Academy Awards... In their minds only drama based movies that are actually shown in movie theaters should be nominated. The thing is the times are changing. It's just a matter of time before Studios will offer their own direct streaming services and get rid of the middle man (the theaters) and pocket all the money.

I personally hate going to the theaters anymore, people munching on food, slurping their sodas, checking their cell phones for any txt messages, talking to each other, getting up and down, crying children, people who are sick with colds/flu's, etc..etc... Today you can buy 88" HDTV's for couple grand. 90"-100" for $5k and you know those prices will just keep going down.

I also think movies like Joker & Logan prove Scorsese wrong....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I think with the Academy trying to boost their ratings by adding MCU movies to the best picture category has offended some from the old school of movie making. It's like Spielberg complaining about Netflix movies being nominated for the Academy Awards... In their minds only drama based movies that are actually shown in movie theaters should be nominated. The thing is the times are changing. It's just a matter of time before Studios will offer their own direct streaming services and get rid of the middle man (the theaters) and pocket all the money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b3uc7tg2so

Inevitable.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

While old school film directors may no appreciate the public appeal of blockbuster movies, it is the big budget blockbusters for the most part that a keeping the industry alive. In addition, the profit from these films also help subsidize the production of lower budget films indie darlings that either lose money or turn only a small profit.

What these directors should be doing is encourage the casual film goers to "broaden their horizons" and watch more mid-budget and lower budget films.

Frankly I think Joker would have been a total bomb of a movie if it was called "Crazy Clown" and had no connection to Batman or the Joker. Frankly I when I saw Joker, the Batman/Joker elements felt "tacked on". But I understand why WB made it "Joker" as it definitely boosted sales.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Salty old haters.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Scorsese and Coppola are both amazing directors. They are artists, i highly respect them and like them. Both have amazing films that left a lasting mark on me after watching. Their opinion matters. I don't think they are haters, quite the opposite they are lovers, lovers of cinema.

I enjoy Marvel films but i mean come on they are no art, so are DC films (except Joker) so i don't think Marvel films deserve any prestigious awards. Scorsese and Coppola are probably uptset because there will be an Oscar section for Marvel films or something at Oscar awards... I mean i don't highly respect Oscar awards but... lol It's never the less kind of an artistic recognition of the films and actors, actresses. And Love them or hate them, Marvel films have no artistic side... They just say this.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Mister H
Green Goblin

Mel Gibson and Jodi Foster have similar views about superhero flics. Doesn’t bother me if someone doesn’t like what I like. I do however think the Marvel machine is “starting” it’s way downhill.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Mel Gibson and Jodi Foster have similar views about superhero flics. Doesn’t bother me if someone doesn’t like what I like. I do however think the Marvel machine is “starting” it’s way downhill.
That's the risk you take when you flood the market with 19+ comic films in a rather short period of time, people might get burned out on them.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #10
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I think also is that there was such a wealth of material from comic books that were ignored when it came to making movies or TV shows for decades and now audiences are realizing all of the wealth there is and unfortunately it might be getting overdone a little bit.
I think it’s great that they are focusing on this medium however they just don’t seem to be as special as they once were. But also I think it is great that most of the movies you can show to your children and just enjoy two hours of watching the movie and being as fascinated with it as the children you’re watching with it are.

Personally I think some people who have the negative things to say just kind a wish their movies made as much as some of these comic book movies did so I kind of wonder if there’s a little bit of jealousy involved.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote