Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
3stun
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Fantasy Figure Gallery - Phoenix Archer

Just found this one for pre-order.
Apparently inspired by Robin Hood tales (WTF?).
Its resin and 1/6 scale.
What do you guys think? I believe with that ehm... costume it would make more sense to have some
bathing accessories, instead of the bow. The pose does not suggest she's shooting or about to shoot, and the lady has no arrows or quiver on her. Kinda weird.
I wonder who did the sculpting.

3stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Finisher
Blue Falcon

She is beautiful ! Well done.
Finisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Finisher
Blue Falcon

Wei Ho (Art of Wei) is the sculptor by the way
Finisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

He is a very talented sculptor. I just wish that he sculpted in 1/4 scale. Not only is the size much larger, but there is no justification for the smaller scale (for me) when the prices are so comparable.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Well, there is a practical aspect to 1/6 over 1/4, and that's display space. Also, to be honest, in terms of detail, anything from 1/6 upwards can really exploit detailing. What I mean is, you can't really cram significantly more detail on a 1/4 scale figure over a 1/6 figure.

On the point of the figure.....ok, I'm gonna catch some flak for this, I know.....but....while I kinda like Wei Ho's style, I'm kinda getting the feeling he's a "one trick pony!". Every sculpt seems to focus on the same key points; tip toes, accentuated calf muscles, cast off clothing, etc etc....it's like a trade mark.

Now Wei has stated he loves the female form (my god, who doesn't?), and he likes to show off certain aspects.....but that's not really an excuse not to diversify your portfolio of works. Anyho, that's my 0.2¢
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
3stun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
What I mean is, you can't really cram significantly more detail on a 1/4 scale figure over a 1/6 figure.
Sorry, can't agree on this one. Looking at Sucker Punch girls by Gentle Giant, I just can't imagine how you can pack all that amount of detail into 1/6 scale.
Besides, someone in Yamato thread (maybe Wei, I'm not sure) mentioned sculpting statues in 1/4 scale demands much more time compared to 1/6 due to details.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
3stun

Quote:
On the point of the figure.....ok, I'm gonna catch some flak for this, I know.....but....while I kinda like Wei Ho's style, I'm kinda getting the feeling he's a "one trick pony!". Every sculpt seems to focus on the same key points; tip toes, accentuated calf muscles, cast off clothing, etc etc....it's like a trade mark.
Agree about this. I mentioned in Athena thread that this "tip-toe" pose is becoming a bit stereotypic. And logically, the pose makes little sense, which makes it even worse.
On the other hand, I can understand Wei. He's bringing these concepts for Yamato statues one after the other, and it must be really hard to make all of them different. Maybe he has to re-use some parts to keep up.
Some of us might prefer less statues, but more unique from each other. But in the end, it's up to Yamato to decide.

And once more, I will say this bow looks weird. Actually it is too small for a bow. And if you take it away, there's nothing indicating at "Robin Hood"-origin of the statue. I just don't get this character design at all... Hope you guys do.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stun View Post
Sorry, can't agree on this one. Looking at Sucker Punch girls by Gentle Giant, I just can't imagine how you can pack all that amount of detail into 1/6 scale.
Besides, someone in Yamato thread (maybe Wei, I'm not sure) mentioned sculpting statues in 1/4 scale demands much more time compared to 1/6 due to details.
Check out some 1/6 scale action figures and garage kits some crazy detail. The thing with 1/4 scale, you've got a lot more surface area to cover if you're sculpting textures (by hand, not digitally!) And of course, more material to be processed for manufacture. But anyway, ultimately it comes down to personal choice. I love 1/4 scale, for me it's the sweet spot of scales!

Edit# agree that this piece has nothing to do with any aspect of Robin hood. I know, Yamato / artist can name a statue / theme whatever they want, but nothing in this piece even hints at a connection to Robin hood of Sherwood.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Weiworks
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Hey guys, been so busy sculpting on Yamato's Greek Myth series that I forgot to put up this statue here=). The statue is based on my old painting below.

The Robin Hood theme was written after the fact. Yamato kind of just went with that. I'm no writer so I leave it up to them.

Weiworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Well, there is a practical aspect to 1/6 over 1/4, and that's display space. Also, to be honest, in terms of detail, anything from 1/6 upwards can really exploit detailing. What I mean is, you can't really cram significantly more detail on a 1/4 scale figure over a 1/6 figure.

Now Wei has stated he loves the female form (my god, who doesn't?), and he likes to show off certain aspects.....but that's not really an excuse not to diversify your portfolio of works. Anyho, that's my 0.2¢
I totally understand the point about the space. My point is just that 1/4 is significantly larger, and with a 1/6 statue going for about $275 and a 1/4 statue going for about $350, the 1/4 is just the better deal in my opinion.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote