Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
chrisg
U talkin' to me?

I think Zbrush may be right up your alley. It is fairly cheap to buy, I believe around 300-500 bucks. It comes with a manual that starts you at the know nothing level and really brings you up to speed quite well. I think I got through it in a few days and by the end I was making some really cool things. It is very much like scuplting once you get to the "scuplting" stage. I got used to the interface fairly quickly and although I use 3ds max everyday, I don't consider myself a genuis when it comes to learning new software. If I can learn it, anybody can. If sculpting on a computer is what you are looking for I think zbrush is the way to go. Just my 2cents.

Chris
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
JSA
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Thank you very much Chris. I appreciate the advise.

Anybody else have any input on zbrush, or anything else recommended?

Thanks again everybody!

JS
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
seba108
Doh!

I think also that Zbrush is the right one for you, but if you want to animate you should take a look at Maya.
I like to work that way that I make the basic polygon model on Maya, then move over to Zbrush to add some detail and then I bring the diffusemap back to Maya. That way you can animate your creature, before adding the detail.

Sebastian
seba108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Russo
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAuctionService
Thank you very much Chris. I appreciate the advise.

Anybody else have any input on zbrush, or anything else recommended?

Thanks again everybody!

JS
Most of 3D packages such as 3dsmax, Maya, SoftImage XSI (and even smaller ones like Modo, Silo, Wings 3D (which is free) will allow you to model complex polygonal models. Most of them has effective tools for vertex, edge and polygon manipulation and allow you to view your object from any angle (that many will agree, is indispensable).

Zbrush will also allow you to model from scratch a full figure with the exoskeleton Zspheres system (that only Zbrush has) very, very quickly with the correct topology structure. What Zbrush does, basically is to paint (and map the texture depending on the option you choose) a grayscale values to the whole mesh which will pull and push each vertex of an ultra high resolution mesh (subdivided many times) according the values painted. I'ts the only program in the world that does this job well done. That's what Zbrush a MUST nowdays. He fill the gaps left in polygonal modeling that is modeling really low bumps in the surface that can not be achieved with bump mapping.

From App to App, Maya takes a little advantage since Zbrush accepts the .OBJ Maya's native export format as a standard, but XSI 5.0 now has one with better compability (hadn't opportunity to test, saw in the features). 3dsmax also has it's way to send the base mesh to Zbrush and pick back the high detailed one.

conclusion:

If you want very high detailed digital sculptures you'll need some 3D application+Zbrush
If you want to animate high detailed models you'll need a good 3D animation package (3dsmax, XSI, Maya..) +Zbrush 2
If you want to be a low poly modeler you'll probably not need Zbrush2.
hope it explained a bit

regards
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #15
JSA

Thank you for the input Russo! It is appreciated.
One question though - in all the 3 scenarios at the end, none of them suggested that
I just use Zbrush alone to sculpt a 3D model. That is what I was looking for though -
would Zbrush, on its own, create an acceptable 3D sculpture/model that I could then
export to another system for rendering or shading or animation? I'm looking for a standard
sized bust (1/4 to 1/2 scale) or statue as my detail and size reference.

Thank you again!

JS
Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #16
Russo
Doh!

yes, it's possible. You could make your entire piece within Zbrush however you'd have to consider a few points

1)You'll have to be VERY good at creation your base with Zphere **specially** with the head. As I came from the 'traditional' system (push, pull and cut edges)
I do prefer making the base head with other application and then re-import. I recently saw a sculptor saying he makes the model with Chavant clay and then pour the castilene in the mold and refine then.. It's something like that, I make the base shape another program and use Zbrush for refinement and add detail where other programs can't.

2) Shading and Texturing are both different. In Zbrush you can apply shading but this shading will not be recognized in any other application. You can texture in Zbrush and export the map and use in other application as well. In this case, you'll have to consider one thing: Zbrush offers two method of UVmapping, Group or Adaptive. Both methods will be very very hard to open in Photoshop and retouch it.

If you plan to animate, I'd recommend you to do the follow: Make your mesh in a 3D app, make an excellent UV mapping ('cause it will store your displacement information and texture) and only then export, esculpt in zbrush
and send it back.. this way you will get:

1- a nice and clean mesh to control and deformate
2-an UV mapping coordinate that you can easily tweak in photoshop

I'm not sure how much you are familiar with 3D but I can post some images if you are confuse about it
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 AM   #17
MASTERSHOKHAN
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hello all

I'll get in on this. Most people like myself ( when I was in art school )

1. use Maya or 3D studio max to make a very low poly cage/mesh

2. then use zbrush for fine detailing

3. then bring it back into Maya or 3D studio for rendering.

If you are poor ( like me now ), get a free modeler like Wings then buy Zbrush
and use it like I described.
MASTERSHOKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #18
JSA

Thank you very much for the information.
* goes off to google wings and give it a try *

JS
Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #19
JSA

Thumbs up

At long last I've finally purchased Zbrush 3 and should be receiving it in the next week or so.

I'm very much looking forward to trying my hand at it, to 3d sculpt some busts and statues.

JS