Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 03-14-2022, 11:28 PM   #221
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Another YouTube review is up. I think this is going to just be one of those divisive, agree to disagree, statues. Everyone keeps telling me it?s the lighting, but between YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter, I?m seeing the same level of quality on the face in each one, and I?m not impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4B865A2-AFA1-4F6C-AD9F-281E32A3C831.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	147588  
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:03 AM   #222
xb24
Sinister Six

Apart from the face everything else looks great.
xb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:01 AM   #223
StefanCo
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb24 View Post
Apart from the face everything else looks great.
It seems. that French YT reviewer seems to mention the paint of the eyelashes and mouth/teeth to be the flaws with the paint job, but also mentions he won't look at the statue with a magnifying glass all the time.

It seems the same as the previous TR statue, where the face sculpt differed to much from the proto. But both statues have the advantage they are more than just Lara, you have to see it as a diorama with the jaguar, the Dinos, the plants... The overall wow factor of these statues are stronger than the details that are more miss than hit. Which doesn't mean we would like to see otherwise.

The price is high but I think you get a lot, I mean you get 2 1/4 scale raptors and Lara Croft.

Still no sign of mine. The order is on 'processing' for a week now. I was hoping to get it as a birthday present to myself, but seems it'll be a late present.
StefanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:03 AM   #224
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I agree, I don't look at my statues under a magnifying glass every time either. But humans are generally drawn to look at other human faces first, especially the eyes. I feel like that should be an area to focus on and get painted correctly.

If the boots had some slop on them, or the belt, I'd be more inclined to give it a pass. As it is, I find all of the battle damage and dirt to be a little too prominent and heavy handed in application compared to the proto, but I can notice them and move on. (Not paint related, but I've come to terms with the fact that her grappling hook doesn't seem to be affected by the physics of her jumping and hangs limp from her belt...) The fact that we're getting better face paint on 1/6 scale pieces at a third to a quarter of the price is not as forgivable.

This brings me back around to my initial problem with the design of the piece that I feel that Lara's not the focus. If people are willing to give it a pass, then I suppose there this one's more for the collector who wants "shelf presence" from their statues. (I blame the influencer trend of pushing that only statues that are bigger are better, but I digress...) If that's what you want in a Tomb Raider piece, then I suppose this one's got that in spades.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #225
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanCo View Post
It seems the same as the previous TR statue, where the face sculpt differed to much from the proto.
While the face sculpt on the production portrait of the last TR piece was slightly different, it was still quite attractive and painted well. I wouldn't say the same about the new one.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #226
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra007 View Post
I?m seeing the same level of quality on the face in each one, and I?m not impressed.
... and that stained shoulder

A bit of sanding would have done the face some good before painting.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:39 PM   #227
Lugnuts
Birdman

Quote:
Another YouTube review is up. I think this is going to just be one of those divisive, agree to disagree, statues. Everyone keeps telling me it?s the lighting, but between YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter, I?m seeing the same level of quality on the face in each one, and I?m not impressed.
Yeah?as someone who takes all their collectibles outside for pictures this face will just look bad lol. Everything else looks good to me, the raptors look amazing but Lara?s face?blah
Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:43 PM   #228
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Good god what is this? Are we sure this is real and not some other Lara statue photo being passed off as this $1500 piece?.

If I paid $1500 for something like this, it would be an immediate return.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #229
SDguy

Quote:
I agree, I don't look at my statues under a magnifying glass every time either. But humans are generally drawn to look at other human faces first, especially the eyes. I feel like that should be an area to focus on and get painted correctly.

If the boots had some slop on them, or the belt, I'd be more inclined to give it a pass. As it is, I find all of the battle damage and dirt to be a little too prominent and heavy handed in application compared to the proto, but I can notice them and move on. (Not paint related, but I've come to terms with the fact that her grappling hook doesn't seem to be affected by the physics of her jumping and hangs limp from her belt...) The fact that we're getting better face paint on 1/6 scale pieces at a third to a quarter of the price is not as forgivable.

This brings me back around to my initial problem with the design of the piece that I feel that Lara's not the focus. If people are willing to give it a pass, then I suppose there this one's more for the collector who wants "shelf presence" from their statues. (I blame the influencer trend of pushing that only statues that are bigger are better, but I digress...) If that's what you want in a Tomb Raider piece, then I suppose this one's got that in spades.
Totally agree with you on this. Just as a recent example I was looking at in hand pics of GG Leia.

SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #230
MPCanes
The X-Men

That face paint is atrocious and honestly looks worse than some of my Hasbro 6 inch figures.
MPCanes is online now   Reply With Quote