Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #1661
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayto_0 View Post
I have to say i'm really torn on this one. While i agree with the criticisms above about Sideshow in general. Inconsistency, managing expectations etc.

Putting the disappointing blog pics aside for a second would you guys really be unhappy if what we receive is of the same standard as the production pics below?

The portrait looks great here, granted i wasn't expecting them to nail the proto a 100% in the first place.
The interesting part here is that according to Terry Smith the unboxing video and the blog post both featured the exact same piece.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #1662
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Which is why it's pretty likely blog pics are just lousy photos.
The gold paint looks copper, the skin tones have a overly pink hue, they're blotchy....etc
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #1663
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69 View Post
Which is why it's pretty likely blog pics are just lousy photos.
The gold paint looks copper, the skin tones have a overly pink hue, they're blotchy....etc
Yeah blog post is more like what the first in hand flash photos are going to look like. Harsh lighting is washing out all the shading they have on the fa e.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #1664
Justus_MH
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayto_0 View Post
I have to say i'm really torn on this one. While i agree with the criticisms above about Sideshow in general. Inconsistency, managing expectations etc.

Putting the disappointing blog pics aside for a second would you guys really be unhappy if what we receive is of the same standard as the production pics below?

The portrait looks great here, granted i wasn't expecting them to nail the proto a 100% in the first place.
If I get a statue that looks like these pictures, I will be satisfied. I have zero doubt that the blog pictures do NOT do the piece justice. It's bad lighting and/or editing causing the gold to look bronze IMO.

The piece in the video looks fine :-)
Justus_MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #1665
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
That's pretty generous imho.
Yea your right, The production looks better..nice try.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #1666
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
There are two distinct types of people on these forums, Ones who are:

Comic fans who buy statues of their favorite comic characters.

contrasted to

Statue fans who buy their favorite statues of comic characters.
While that's true, quality appraisals shouldn't deviate that much between the two categories.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #1667
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Honestly my issues with the statue were the same regardless if it were based off the blog post or the out of the box video. I guess my main issues were around the eyes and the gold accents more than the skin tones. And as far as I'm concerned those 'issues' were pretty much the same between the two.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #1668
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
While that's true, quality appraisals shouldn't deviate that much between the two categories.
True.

But I'm guessing the second type is less apologetic because their first concern is getting the same statue as advertised, rather than getting a good representation of the character.

Because while it might have failed to produce what they promoted, in isolation from the prototype photos, they have probably still produced a good looking Wonder Woman statue.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #1669
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Like I stated before, I would buy the piece if I only ever saw the production piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
True.

But I'm guessing the second type is less apologetic because their first concern is getting the same statue as advertised, rather than getting a good representation of the character.

Because while it might have failed to produce what they promoted, in isolation from the prototype photos, they have probably still produced a good looking Wonder Woman statue.
Exactly!
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #1670
pdenham
Teen Titans

careful consideration of lighting (soft vs hard shadow; key lighting vs omnidirectional; etc)
and placement (especially in regards to above or below eye level- also, head on so you can see the full face isn't always the best "impact" angle)
both can go a long way to emphasizing or mitigating aspects someone may find objectionable in a sculpture they otherwise like/love.

I get the impression that most people on these forums are too concerned with filling their shelves with lines and teams or the nth iteration of a beloved character (gotta collect 'em all!) that they don't put much effort or thought into getting the most bang from every single piece they own.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote