yeah, sorry
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #292
ALEX23
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
yeah, sorry
They are just base cards from the original 92 set with a silver metallic Marvel Masterpieces logo stamped onto them. Some of them are signed by Jusko and numbered to 15 last time I checked.
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #293
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
probably among the cheapest you will get this set at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Marvel-...YAAOSwuzRXdsJn
That is definitely a great way of going about getting the majority of the base set, and a very nice representation of the series
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #294
premium_substit

Got my cards!

These things are amazing.

I attended a seminar recently where they were emphasizing the effect of strong drugs. Something along the lines of your favourite food being 50 'points' of pleasure, sex being 120 'points' of pleasure, and Ice (crystal meth in the pure form) is the highest at 1200 points of pleasure. I have to say, I put the hit I got from opening a box right up there with the strongest of drugs. I am going to put in for a revision (even though I am not authorized or whatever ) see if I can get the chart ammended. It shall be donned 'Chroming'

Honestly, I bought one box of these purely because of Jusko's art, but when I started to see the reveals I couldn't help it and ordered another 2. Mind you, I was determined for saving them for a special occasion, once or twice a year. Some like to open a fine wine, I'd rather have a hit of nostalgia I like to think I am self-controlled, leaving things sealed when that was my intent, but after the first box I could not hold back.

I opened a box of another series a couple years back, but it was not like this. I was an avid hater of the format, but in a way, I get it now - it really has the collectability feel to it. Some of these cards were always meant to be just a bit out of your reach. Back when we were collecting you were lucky if a local shop even had the last few singles you needed, there was no ebay. The amount of nostalgia and feeling I got from this, from getting a card you want, was insane. And they really do have a premium and classy feel to them. I guess the best way I can explain it is I always believe you need to see the art blown up a little to see all the detail, but the gloss and solid feel of these really pops and you really take in the art.

This set, predominantly because of the art - and the rush I got from opening these with the pure hit of Nostalgia, is the true successor to my childhood masterpieces.

These cards are really special - Thank you Joe
Old 07-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #295
premium_substit

Box Highlights:

Box 1

From left to right (sketch card on the right):

Top row: Epic purple - Cyclops, Epic purple - Ghost Rider, Legendary Orange - Mephisto (ES of 99)
Bottom row: Speckle Holofoil - Doctor Strange (ES of 99), Battle Spectra - Hulk vs. Sentry, Canvas - Venom

Box 2

Top row: Epic purple - Medusa, Epic purple - She-Hulk, Canvas - Spider-Man
Bottom row: Battle Spectra - Thor vs. Hercules, Holofoil - Punisher, Printing plate - Thanos (Canvas High series 1 of 1)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #296
premium_substit

Box 3

Top row: Legendary Orange - Apocalypse (ES of 99), Epic purple - Man-Thing, Canvas - Storm

Bottom row: Battle spectra - Moon Knight vs. Bushman, Holofoil - Magneto

This was a great box for me. Very fitting since my favourite character is Apocalypse and I scored a Legendary Orange of him. Not the rarest of cards, but is to me
Now.. reason for including the normal card on the bottom right base (Mephisto).. evidently that base card is significantly more valueable/scarce than any of the inserts I got due to being a base with an ES of only 99. Crazy World, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEPHISTO-201...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEPHISTO-201...p2047675.l2557

......and the remants of the Chrome Party

Pure class. Look at the box, very sleek - like a fine box of Cubans, except much better
Old 07-09-2016, 01:19 AM   #297
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

From what I understand, Cards #82 -90 are the hard ones to find
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #298
Brian R.
The Riddler

Quote:
From what I understand, Cards #82 -90 are the hard ones to find
Yes, because they're short printed. Only 99 of each of these cards in existence. Makes these "base cards" much harder to get than any of the chase cards. Considering they're of Marvel's most popular characters, it's kind of annoying. I'll stick to buying singles of my favorites, especially childhood faves like Tiger Shark and Werewolf by Night, which haven't had much representation before now.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #299
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Yea the rare ones like Silver surfer, Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, to name a few. You have a better chance with inserts than them. I tried selling my doubles and gold signatures. In my area comic book stores, they don't buy trading cards. So to the bay or I'm stuck with em.

Noteworthy cards for sale:

Illuminati Mirage card
Ironman vs Fing Fang Foom
Black Bolt vs Vulcan
Black Panther '92 Autograph out of 15.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #300
ALEX23
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Yes, because they're short printed. Only 99 of each of these cards in existence. Makes these "base cards" much harder to get than any of the chase cards. Considering they're of Marvel's most popular characters, it's kind of annoying. I'll stick to buying singles of my favorites, especially childhood faves like Tiger Shark and Werewolf by Night, which haven't had much representation before now.
Whats odd though is the purple parallel versions of those cards are still #d to 199, so you'll just about have an easier time acquiring them that way.

Very nice haul by the way premium_substit!
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote