Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #71
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Forps is showing his ignorance......PERIOD.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #72
built2shred
Phoenix

Forps, As others have said, SS didn't create this hobby but they did contribute to make it popular with their exclusive licenses, bigger scale statues and becoming a sales hub for other statue companies.

As for XM, I don't think their hype has died off but the increasing shipping prices is going to put a damper on people buying these through 3rd parties, when shipping costs are as much as the statue it becomes a problem.

SS reminds me of when Ford and the other American Car companies put out some really great cars in the 50's-60's, then they got really big and thought they could put out trash in the 70's and 80's which opened the door to Japanese cars... SS stumble for a few years putting out some really poor QC statues which opened the door to XM and other companies with their superior QC. Even though SS for the most part has turned that around they're reputation suffered and is still not as great as it used to be...

I would also disagree that XM makes childish statues, that statement (along with others you made) defiantly paints you as a fanatic SS fanboy...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #73
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Forps, As others have said, SS didn't create this hobby but they did contribute to make it popular with their exclusive licenses, bigger scale statues and becoming a sales hub for other statue companies.

As for XM, I don't think their hype has died off but the increasing shipping prices is going to put a damper on people buying these through 3rd parties, when shipping costs are as much as the statue it becomes a problem.

SS reminds me of when Ford and the other American Car companies put out some really great cars in the 50's-60's, then they got really big and thought they could put out trash in the 70's and 80's which opened the door to Japanese cars... SS stumble for a few years putting out some really poor QC statues which opened the door to XM and other companies with their superior QC. Even though SS for the most part has turned that around they're reputation suffered and is still not as great as it used to be...

I would also disagree that XM makes childish statues, that statement (along with others you made) defiantly paints you as a fanatic SS fanboy...
I'm sorry but anyone who belittles what someone else collects loses all credibility as someone who can provide objective criticisms. Obviously he knows nothing about the hobby or the business. He has shown he is not a collector but a snob and an ass. Pretty much put him on ignore.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #74
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I'm sorry but anyone who belittles what someone else collects loses all credibility as someone who can provide objective criticisms. Obviously he knows nothing about the hobby or the business. He has shown he is not a collector but a snob and an ass. Pretty much put him on ignore.
Probably the best stance to take after viewing various comments made here and in other boards.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #75
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
The hobby is not even close to being dead. I can see it changing slightly but that has been happening for the last 10 years. Sizes, ES, scale, prices, etc. will all move to where demand goes and opportunity knocks. As long as the subject matter is still thriving (which it is), companies will find a way to satisfy consumer demands.
Agreed. While the hobby looks very different than when Bowen first arrived on the scene, I think theres still a market. Different - but still active
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #76
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I dont know if anyone has touched on this in an earlier post but I think the future of statue collecting is very much tied into the current state of comic collecting. Not dependent, but directly tied too. And comic collecting has changed a lot. Lots of people go to the Spider-Man movies, but not many are buying the Spider-Man comic book. That's now how it was 30 years ago. Everyone read comics... well almost. Now I don't know, movie statues have a huge following and so do video games but these are side dishes. The comic characters are the meat and potatoes.

I think that there are enough people to keep the hobbie going. The ultimate question is going to be this... can statue companies continue to produce statues that people think are cool for a price people are willing to pay. As simple as this sounds is as simple as it is.

"I think I'll pass on that batman statue and go to Jamaica for a week"
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #77
Apate
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
I dont know if anyone has touched on this in an earlier post but I think the future of statue collecting is very much tied into the current state of comic collecting. Not dependent, but directly tied too. And comic collecting has changed a lot. Lots of people go to the Spider-Man movies, but not many are buying the Spider-Man comic book. That's now how it was 30 years ago. Everyone read comics... well almost. Now I don't know, movie statues have a huge following and so do video games but these are side dishes. The comic characters are the meat and potatoes.

I think that there are enough people to keep the hobbie going. The ultimate question is going to be this... can statue companies continue to produce statues that people think are cool for a price people are willing to pay. As simple as this sounds is as simple as it is.

"I think I'll pass on that batman statue and go to Jamaica for a week"
I think you are absolutely right. SSC predominantly cater for whatever pop culture is in-fashion with the masses.

They don't have a problem selling out upto a 7500 line. A majority of there releases tie in with whatever blockbuster Marvel/DC has coming out, they all seem to be a safe bet for them. I have no doubts SS will be here for a long time.

I am more concerned with how other company's will adapt, company's that carry more niche licences. I am a big fan of tsume and pop culture shock, they cater exactly for my interests and there prices still seem reasonable. With the ever increasing manufacturing and postage cost are the those collectors going to eventually be priced out? Will the market for those items even exist?

Will be a sad day if we are left with marvel, DC and starwars for most of our statue choices.

Forps. Where are you pulling all these figures from? "They are going to fight for capturing 70+% of the market." " 80% of the collectors would stop buying anything with the rather chilidish sculpts of Bowen." "90% of collectors bought a Skeletor from Sideshow" You speak like it's fact, looks like pure hyperbole to me.
Apate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #78
Vracula
Jedi Order

SS did introduce Hyper realism to the hobby but denying bowens legacy is beyond stupid. Can't even take the ppst seriously.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #79
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apate View Post
Forps. Where are you pulling all these figures from? "They are going to fight for capturing 70+% of the market." " 80% of the collectors would stop buying anything with the rather chilidish sculpts of Bowen." "90% of collectors bought a Skeletor from Sideshow" You speak like it's fact, looks like pure hyperbole to me.
He thinks made-up statistics and ignorant opinions stated as fact add credibility to his posts. He's wrong.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #80
risingstar
Jedi Order

I realize this can sometimes lead to a heated discussion -- but why does one thing have to be identified as the best or better than something else? I'm not talking as a businessman but as a fan of the hobby. In the end, in my mind anyway, these are all simply options and alternatives, nothing more or less. One person prefers Bowen Marvel while the other prefers PCS Street Fighter. Like some others here, I've been collecting statues for 20+ years, and I've seen numerous companies and fans come and go. However, the one constant is this exact same conversation - "Is this the beginning of the end?". From my experience, the people who generally voice this particular concern are close to moving on to other things for whatever reason, which is fine, but they certainly do not speak for everyone.

Sure, this hobby, like collecting beanie babies and hockey cards or whatever, will eventually become less popular and be replaced by something else. Why is there a need to point this out as if it were a revelation that people's tastes change with time? Enjoy it while you can and when your time is done, move on to other things. That's totally cool. It doesn't mean you're a dinosaur for leaving or that you're a momo for staying on board. There's no need to label things or to compare oneself to others.

Speaking for myself, I've experienced many different phases as a collector to the point where now, I'm probably considered old school, which is fine too. I love my statues, and thankfully, I'm at that comfortable place where I understand that I will always want more than what I need, and that finding that balance is key to enjoying this hobby.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote