Same with me and it's raining here too
Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #5072
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
work sucks, and its a rainy day

rainy days and mondays always bring me down
I'm not so crazy about the Mondays, but I like a good rainy day now and then.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #5073
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Same with me and it's raining here too
Raining in Denver, too. Wow, is it raining everywhere?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #5074
bat_collector
Galactus

its also one of my favorite karen carpenter songs
Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #5075
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
How can anyone have not seen the Wizard of Oz?

I mean, its been on TV forever.
wizard of oz is the most overrated fiolm EVER. the only reason to even glimpse at it, is for Margaret Hamilton's performance. the rest of the film is stomach-churning
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #5076
Merlose
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
work sucks, and its a rainy day

rainy days and mondays always bring me down
I'm only happy when it rains. Sadly its not raining here.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #5077
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
wizard of oz is the most overrated fiolm EVER. the only reason to even glimpse at it, is for Margaret Hamilton's performance. the rest of the film is stomach-churning
First of all, I have to disagree with the idea that the Wizard of Oz is overrated. It may be, by today's standards, but let's take a look at -why- it's so highly held in wide regard.

First of all, it was the first feature-length 'fantasy' live-action movie in color. Gone with the Wind came out the same year, but it was entirely in color, and not a fantasy movie. Wizard of Oz had many things that made it stand out. First of which was the fact that half the movie is in color and the other half in black and white. As technicolor was a new thing at the time, this kind of technology was beyond cutting edge. It was 1939, after all.

Next, let's look at the cast, because it was actually impressive at the time. Billie Bird, Ray Bolger, Burt Lahr, and Margaret Hamilton were all well-respected actors of the time. For them to appear in what was basically a children's film was nothing short of a miracle.

Special effects, while cheesy by todays' CGI standards, were also cutting-edge. The Flying Monkeys, the Munchkins, the Winkies, the Witch's crystal ball, her flying off on her broom or disappearing into a puff of smoke...all were relatively new and innovative ideas for the time.

It may not hold up as a good movie to today's audiences, but it is one of the greatest movies of all time, based on the innovations and coups that it achieved while being filmed.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #5078
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

I got no probs with the effects, and as I have already said, I love margaret hamilton in the film, but Judy garland makes me want to vomit every time I even see a picture or clip of her in that film. She is just so OTT(as is most of the film).

the songs make me cringe - I DESPISE "Somewhere over a Rainbow" with a burning passion

and as for it being overrated by todays standards, well I think a lot of films that are released today are overrated and are crap, but still do well. we are too easy to please. We are so used to sequel trash and remakes/tv makeovers - there is hardly any originality in the cinema nowadays
Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #5079
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdoug View Post
First of all, I have to disagree with the idea that the Wizard of Oz is overrated. It may be, by today's standards, but let's take a look at -why- it's so highly held in wide regard.

First of all, it was the first feature-length 'fantasy' live-action movie in color. Gone with the Wind came out the same year, but it was entirely in color, and not a fantasy movie. Wizard of Oz had many things that made it stand out. First of which was the fact that half the movie is in color and the other half in black and white. As technicolor was a new thing at the time, this kind of technology was beyond cutting edge. It was 1939, after all.

Next, let's look at the cast, because it was actually impressive at the time. Billie Bird, Ray Bolger, Burt Lahr, and Margaret Hamilton were all well-respected actors of the time. For them to appear in what was basically a children's film was nothing short of a miracle.

Special effects, while cheesy by todays' CGI standards, were also cutting-edge. The Flying Monkeys, the Munchkins, the Winkies, the Witch's crystal ball, her flying off on her broom or disappearing into a puff of smoke...all were relatively new and innovative ideas for the time.

It may not hold up as a good movie to today's audiences, but it is one of the greatest movies of all time, based on the innovations and coups that it achieved while being filmed.
Good argument, SD!

To add to it, I wouldn't for a moment concede that it doesn't hold up. I just saw it with my eight year old, and she loved every minute of it. She had the same reactions to it that I did as a kid: she was just as freaked out by the flying monkeys, was just as scared by the Witch of the West, rooted for Dorothy, and loved the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion.

It's still a great movie, and very enchanting. I think it's withstood the test of time quite well.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #5080
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlose View Post
I'm only happy when it rains. Sadly its not raining here.
Merlose you're so dark. I love it!
Closed Thread