Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
noseeb13
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Blu Ray cuts corners again.

This is why I don't like Blu Ray.

Robocop is scheduled to be released on Blu Ray.
"they have decided to release a bare bone version with no extras and only the theatrical cut of the movie. The reason to get mad is that they just released a two disc special edition on DVD with both the rated and unrated version as well as new extras. Why not on HD? Come on!"
From Dvdtown.com

They are doing the same thing for Die Hard. Once again all that space and we don't get the good stuff.
noseeb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Trilogy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I have to admit when studios do this its damn frustrating. I`m not bothered by extra content, but I would like to have the choice of watching the extended, directors cut or unrated version of the movie if I so wish.

This is the reason I have`nt purchased T2 yet and I`m a huge fan. Studios need to get their act together and not shaft those who are paying hi-def prices. Theres just no excuse.
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

This is why I laugh every time I hear the "more space" argument for why BR is superior. Who cares if they don't use it?
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Trilogy

I am not bothered by how much space they do or do not use. What bothers me is the fact that if you buy a HD disc your not getting the choice that you would if you bought the standard dvd.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
DetroitSportsFan
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseeb13 View Post

"they have decided to release a bare bone version with no extras and only the theatrical cut of the movie. The reason to get mad is that they just released a two disc special edition on DVD with both the rated and unrated version as well as new extras. Why not on HD? Come on!"
From Dvdtown.com
The Blu-Ray format has nothing to do with it.

It is the laziness / greed of Fox.
DetroitSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
The Blu-Ray format has nothing to do with it.

It is the laziness / greed of Fox.

Yes, its not "Blu-ray". Its the studios that release the title.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseeb13 View Post

From Dvdtown.com

They are doing the same thing for Die Hard. Once again all that space and we don't get the good stuff.

Don't worry you have the kings of the double and triple dips. Paramount. How many versions of Star Trek (The movies) have they released at this stage? 4 or 5. They are all at it and to accuse BD of being the only ones is silly IMO.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
snappahead
Producer
Producer

They do it so you'll (hopefully) buy the movie twice. It's been done for years. They release a regular edition and then 6 months later release the special/directors cut/limited/collectors edition. It's one of the oldest movie tricks in the book. Blame Blu Ray.....nah. It's the studio that's making these decisions. But it does go to show you that all that extra space will probably go to waste.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

That's hilarious, so let me get this straight, noseeb13 is blaming Blu-Ray for the double dips?!! LOL!!! Then noseeb13 probably HATES DVDs then cause they INVENTED the double dips
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
noseeb13
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco View Post
That's hilarious, so let me get this straight, noseeb13 is blaming Blu-Ray for the double dips?!! LOL!!! Then noseeb13 probably HATES DVDs then cause they INVENTED the double dips
I am blaming them for not making their exclusive partners release their movies the way they should. A uncut DVD just came out for Robocop, so why is the Blu Ray version a step behind in content.
Blu Ray wants to win the format war and yet they allow things like this. Same with Die Hard, the DVD is going to be uncut and yet the Blu Ray version is PG-13. Sony still have to approve a release and this is where they should say we do not approve unless it is up to the content spec as the regular DVD release. At this point it is like the comment that they made saying DVD is good enough so don't buy HD DVD, buy DVDs.
noseeb13 is offline   Reply With Quote