Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #1
Tattoo-X

Question Giclees

What exactly is a Giclee?

I've never seen one. Just assumed it was basically a poster done on canvas. But now I've noticed that Giclees are offered on canvas or on paper.

So if on paper, what makes it better than a poster, besides being limited?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
Avenger
Galactus

Here is the tech definition:

A giclee (zhee-CLAY) is an individually produced, high-resolution, high-fidelity reproduction done on a special large format printer. Giclees are produced from digital scans of existing artwork. Also, since many artists now produce only digital art, there is no "original" that can be hung on a wall. Giclees solve that problem, while creating a whole new vibrant medium for art.

Giclees can be printed on any number of media, from canvas to watercolor paper to transparent acetates. Giclees are superior to traditional lithography in several ways. The colors are brighter, last longer, and are so high-resolution that they are virtually continuous tone, rather than tiny dots. The range, or "gamut" of color for giclees is far beyond that of lithography.

I have 3 at the moment and the color is outstanding. It really looks like a painting in some cases. Damn those people on here that started me buying these.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger
.... Damn those people on here that started me buying these.
You'd think we were putting guns to people's heads and forcing them to buy this stuff.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Giclees are the best!!! I want to buy a few more!!! The details are amazing!!! Its no thanks to Zurb that I started buying these! I saw them displayed at his former Marvel/DC Museum before the exhibit was retired and changed to LOTR! :tounge:

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

They are alot they run about a grand for each print but look amazing!!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
Tattoo-X

Smile

My opinion still stands....Over-priced posters. Okay, that's a little harsh. Over-priced technology. I really can't believe it costs so much. Maybe some day when they do one that I can't live without, and Bowen isn't doing Marvel, I'll pick one up. Just seems that most giclees come from DF, and that makes me worry that I'm paying an additional 100%+ mark-up.

Thanks guys for explaining these to me.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

the color is amazing , you have to look at it up close, wouldnt say overpriced poster because there is a limited run and you cant get these at you rlocal comic shop. There are certain galleries that have the rights to certain giclees and only make certain runs of the canvas prints.
If I had the money I would buy these, they are worth it if you buy them to display them and not for a profit you should be fine!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
Avenger
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
You'd think we were putting guns to people's heads and forcing them to buy this stuff.
Quilty conscience?
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
Tattoo-X

Wink

Quilty????
Old 02-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger
Here is the tech definition:

A giclee (zhee-CLAY) is an individually produced, high-resolution, high-fidelity reproduction done on a special large format printer. Giclees are produced from digital scans of existing artwork. Also, since many artists now produce only digital art, there is no "original" that can be hung on a wall. Giclees solve that problem, while creating a whole new vibrant medium for art.

Giclees can be printed on any number of media, from canvas to watercolor paper to transparent acetates. Giclees are superior to traditional lithography in several ways. The colors are brighter, last longer, and are so high-resolution that they are virtually continuous tone, rather than tiny dots. The range, or "gamut" of color for giclees is far beyond that of lithography.

I have 3 at the moment and the color is outstanding. It really looks like a painting in some cases. Damn those people on here that started me buying these.
My wife was asking me to define giclees for her just the other day. I have two of them but couldn't begin to explain what they are, how they're different, or how they're produced.

Thanks for this definition.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote