Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 12-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
brentflynn
Blue Falcon

Ideas for selling collectibles in Australia?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to streamline my collection, but I've found it really difficult to find some Australian based options to advertise my gear for a local sale.

As great as these forums are, they are understandably USA-centric as far as selling and shipping goes.

Places such as eBay and Gumtree seem to have little to no interest with Aussie based sales. It would be great to deal with other collectors, and have the collectibles find a good home.

Any fellow Aussies have any advice/experience selling locally?
Thanks in advance.
brentflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
morgs
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hey mate,
Yeh it is a little harder for us Aussies sometimes, there is probably only Ebay as I would not trust Gumtree at all personally.
Depending on what you are selling, there are quite a few Aussie forum members so I bet at least some of us might help you out either with buying or recommend someone who might.
I have found that quite often you need to have very reasonable prices, like me I quite often look for example Bowen statues on Ebay in Australia especially if I can pick them up so I save on shipping. It can be very rare but it has happened quite a few times. Unfortunately a lot of sellers try to ask too much to gain back all that they have paid ie: currency conversion and shipping.
Just be patient and you will get there.
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
charger30
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Ebay is you best bet but you could go to a shop that sells the things and ask if they will do consignment sale for you
charger30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
brentflynn
Blue Falcon

Thanks for the responses. It irks me that eBay takes 10% of the selling price, but I guess there are few alternatives.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
charger30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentflynn View Post
Thanks for the responses. It irks me that eBay takes 10% of the selling price, but I guess there are few alternatives.
they also charger you part of the postage now
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
brentflynn
Blue Falcon

Really? That's just wrong, they are not involved in posting the item.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
charger30

Quote:
Yes it is wrong , that is why I have pick up only now or post has to be a separate payment direct to my bank without going through ebay but you can not include it in the invoice
Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Well it was due to people gaming the system by selling items for a penny and charging $300 for shipping to avoid paying fees.

My policy is to give free shipping on everything and to factor that cost into the sale price. This also prevents the ebay user from complaining when shipping is 3 cent under what you charged them.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
If you can find a better forum for selling your items that helps maximize returns while costing under 10% please let us know. -- I don't think one exists so paying 10 to ebay seems a fair cost of doing busy.

Selling through ebay should get you between 80 and 100 % of value. Maybe try your local comic shops where they will offer 10 to 50% value. Not such a good deal all of a sudden.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
charger30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Well it was due to people gaming the system by selling items for a penny and charging $300 for shipping to avoid paying fees.

My policy is to give free shipping on everything and to factor that cost into the sale price. This also prevents the ebay user from complaining when shipping is 3 cent under what you charged them.
You may be offering free postage added to the cost of an item , but you are also paying 10% on that postage cost , in almost everything you will find scams , but why should 90% of us doing the right thing have to pay for it , they have a policy for over charging on postage