Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #51
ukshaun
Hercules

Watched Joker in a cinema about 2hrs ago.

It was interesting. Given the three graphic moments, I’m surprised it’s age rating was as low as it was. The audio sounded brilliant. Joaquin Phoenix lived up to the hype. While I shouldn’t compare the two, Heath Ledger remains my favourite take on the Joker so far. The look of the film was impressive. I totally get the Taxi Driver comparisons. The twist was good, Sophie Dumond (Zazie Beetz) not really being there in some of the previous scenes with Arthur, and being just figments of his imagination.

I’m questioning, does the film live up to the hype?
If I’m questioning it, I guess the answer is 'no' - It was never going to live up to the hype.
I admire it for what it is - unpredictable, never boring. Congrats to all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I don’t believe the theory that all of it was imagined and he was institutionalized the entire time. If that was true, when he imagines he is in the Murray show, that would be a fantasy in a delusion. And it hasn’t been since Sucker Punch where I’ve seen a director pulled that kind of nonsense.

At first I thought that his entire his appearance on the Murray show as Joker was all fantasy and that maybe in actuality all Fleck did was shoot Murray. But then we see news channels all showing the incidence as we the audience saw it. All of Fleck’s fantasy all seemed to be from a first person perspective as with Fleck’s relationship with Zazzie’s character.
Given the movie is titled 'Joker' and not 'The Joker' might be deliberate.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #52
ukshaun
Hercules

I was thinking more and more about the theory of Joker being a Joker and not The Joker. The Joker applied white stuff to his face for is chemical accident. Joker in the new movie simply wears white stuff to look like a clown.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #53
Gothamite
Phoenix

Joker has outgrossed Justice League both domestically and worldwide, lol.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #54
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I'd guess Joker had maybe a fifth of the budget and promotion. Speaks volumes of both films.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #55
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'd guess Joker had maybe a fifth of the budget and promotion. Speaks volumes of both films.
They panicked and over-corrected with regards to Justice League. They already made their bed with Zack Snyder and should've just let him finish his movie, however "good" or "bad" the end result would've been. Instead, they threw more money at the project and guaranteed themselves a financial loss.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #56
supermetroid
Teen Titans

All the negative press probably helped Joker too, "It's so controversial don't watch it", like that ever works lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:39 AM   #57
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
I could probably direct a movie and outgross Justice League
Old 10-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #58
SuperJ300
Zot

Quote:
Not a great film to compare against!lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I could probably direct a movie and outgross Justice League
SuperJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #59
gearhead
The Herculoids

Just got back from the theater. Thought it was a good solid movie, but not great, mostly because it didn't really fit with my vision of the Joker. Joaquin Phoenix did a fantastic job with what he was given. Felt just like what it was, a movie that stands apart from DC continuity, and taken as such it was pretty good. Not a fan of him being mentally ill from the start though, and that includes the bit about his laugh already being there. I prefer to think of the Joker as a normal guy that "had a really bad day", so bad that it drives him well beyond the cliff. Seems a little lazy to start with a person that is already disturbed. And I think that's what's driving all the fuss over the movie. Not the actual violence, but the fact that a mentally unstable person doesn't get the help he needs and snaps. That's a hot topic too close to reality for a lot of the thin skins out there. I also prefer the Joker to remain a mystery. Knowing his "real" backstory takes something away from the character. This from a guy who much preferred Wolverine back when he was a mystery too. When I first heard about this movie I thought it was a movie we didn't need, like Solo, but at least this one was still a descent flick. Time to go watch some Arkham game clips to get my fix of the real thing!
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #60
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

My problem with this version of the Joker is that when the fantasy elements of this character are removed, he becomes John Wayne Gacy. The Joker was imagined and created as a fantasy character. The main villain and a paramore of the Batman from an intelligence standpoint in many ways. He's been boiled down here to the point where he's nothing more than a demented, despicable wretch. This simpleton isn't anywhere near intelligent enough to be the main villain for the Bat. This Joker was written in such a way that unless you enjoy going into the mind of a demented serial killer psyche, which I don't, you're in for too many uncomfortable moments. I'm sure there are those who don't share my opinion, but that's fine. Those who loved it are entitled to their opinions, and I am entitled to mine. I'm sorry to see that the box office numbers show we probably haven't seen the last of this slimy piece of filth.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote