Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #141
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Yeesh, that while clip was rough. Dialogue felt stilted and awkward. Not sure I'll bother seeing this one.
Good choice.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #142
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
and to be fair, some people view those gratuitous women-objectifying scenes that most men generally love in the same cringe-worthy manner.
Maybe so, but they don't get branded as sexist, if they don't like it, unlike today. This new age has gotten so out of hand that you can't just have a strong female character, without having a weak helpless man opposite her, or some monologue about I dont need a man to make me happy, or straight out insulting men.

I've already been labelled a sexist on another board due not wanting to see the movie, because of that cringeworthy political line. What's going on in the world? Lol
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #143
nearmint
Phoenix

Not all the reviews are bad. Variety, for example, liked it quite a bit.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #144
adee
Green Arrow

It’s Jennifer Lawrence that makes these movies so hard to watch for me. Her portrayal is so out of character and nothing like the Mystique I know. I cringe every time she opens her mouth.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #145
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
It’s Jennifer Lawrence that makes these movies so hard to watch for me. Her portrayal is so out of character and nothing like the Mystique I know. I cringe every time she opens her mouth.
I do not like any of the new X-Men actors. Except Michael Fassbender.

I miss Patrick Stewart & Co.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #146
built2shred
Phoenix

I'm surprised females are not all up in arms over wo(MAN) or actually even fe(MALES) for that matter.. I'm sure they'll come up with some new name that will have to use to refer to them before to long, that's how ridiculous this is getting.

The funny thing is, for a VERY long time guys who were into these comics growing up (in their teen years) were looked down upon by girls for liking comics, you were a geek, dork or a nerd, someone to be made fun of by girls.... And look where we are now, girls demanding to be a part of it...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #147
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
And look where we are now, girls demanding to be a part of it...
Some time ago, I asked a girl friend if she knows what a Padawan is.
"Yes, this is the apprentice of a Jedi "

They take everything from us
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #148
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I'm surprised females are not all up in arms over wo(MAN) or actually even fe(MALES) for that matter.. I'm sure they'll come up with some new name that will have to use to refer to them before to long, that's how ridiculous this is getting.
MANkind, huMAN, huMANity... Plenty of examples.

You're describing the 'gender neutrality movement', and it has been a thing, for quite some time. Maybe it hasn't necessarily been incorporated into the current feminist push of the last few years yet. I had a female professor of psychology many years ago who was a staunch advocate.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #149
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I disagree on calling the release of Dark Phoenix a bad call.

They (Marvel) already decided that the introduction of their X-Men will be only in phase 5 about 4 years away. That should be enough time for memories of even a bad Dark Phoenix to be forgotten by the general audience. This is still a Fox movie, so I doubt most people will associate it with Marvel Studios.

I guess they could have released it to some streaming service, but their own channel is still some time away and I'm not sure if any of the existing ones wanted DP.

The current tracking for DP is $50M-$60M domestic opening weekend and about $170M worldwide with a large chunk of that coming from China. If it makes these numbers the film can still finish with about $500M over its entire run, so why would Marvel leave that kind of money to go to waste? Apparently, the movie had a production budget of about $200M, inflated by extensive re-shoots, so it may just break even, but it shouldn't pull a Hellboy.
It's already pulled a Hellgirl...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #150
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

The funny thing is, for a VERY long time guys who were into these comics growing up (in their teen years) were looked down upon by girls for liking comics, you were a geek, dork or a nerd, someone to be made fun of by girls.... And look where we are now, girls demanding to be a part of it...
Your comment kinda proves a point though. I got into comics in the mid-80s, I've known women that have been into comics just as long and have been waiting for the moments when women could be portrayed in films and elsewhere without objectification.

Now, perhaps your experience isn't the same, or perhaps you just didn't hangout with the right women when you were growing up. However your comment lumps all women into that group of disliking comics or nerd/geek culture, when they are in fact different and depending upon who you were exposed to you might actually have seen that.

One of my friends I've known since I was 11 now takes her daughters to conventions, and she used to sit with me out in front of my house and draw comic characters with me (we both wanted to be comic artists at that age). I think she has every right to be a part of it as much as I do.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote