Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #16901
Sithlord32
New Republic

47 Ronin 4.5/10

I really wanted to like this movie more than I did but the inexperience in story telling that plagues it is disheartening.The bland unimpressive dialogue and character dynamics are skewed and at times had me thinking this almost would have been better with some comedic relief not something you should be entertaining in a Samurai action flick. Reeves performance was pretty lackluster but I think it was more the writing of his character than his acting alone. All the dramatic close ups reminded me of a bad comic book.

Saving graces would be Hiroyuki Sanada and Tadanobu Asano. The adaptation of the Japanese folk tale remained true to its source but almost to a fault. The fight scenes and choreography was pretty awesome but way to much CGI for my tastes it threw it off balance. Worth a watch for action and samurai or fantasy sci fi fanatics but the blind buy wasnt a good investment.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #16902
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I also watched Gravity today and it was a visually striking and suspenseful ride from beginning to end. Sandra Bullock reminded me of Sigourney Weaver on Alien.

8/10
Yup same.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #16903
XMAN
Ultron

Winter Soldier 8.5/10
I would have given a higher score but felt the first part of the movie could have used a little more action.
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #16904
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Captain A Winter Soldier- 8/10

Chris Evans was more convincing then ever as Capn in this movie.Excellent use of the Shield.

Gravity 9/10

Nerve racking stuff.Very immersive. Just so nightmarish thinking that you will just be floating round in space,made me sick.F#$k the beauty!F%^K space!
It was pretty nerve racking stuff. Makes you wonder why space suits are white. They really should be brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
47 Ronin 4.5/10

I really wanted to like this movie more than I did but the inexperience in story telling that plagues it is disheartening.The bland unimpressive dialogue and character dynamics are skewed and at times had me thinking this almost would have been better with some comedic relief not something you should be entertaining in a Samurai action flick. Reeves performance was pretty lackluster but I think it was more the writing of his character than his acting alone. All the dramatic close ups reminded me of a bad comic book.

Saving graces would be Hiroyuki Sanada and Tadanobu Asano. The adaptation of the Japanese folk tale remained true to its source but almost to a fault. The fight scenes and choreography was pretty awesome but way to much CGI for my tastes it threw it off balance. Worth a watch for action and samurai or fantasy sci fi fanatics but the blind buy wasnt a good investment.
Certainly not one of the greats by any means, but I still enjoyed this one. Probably in part because it got caned by the critics yet I was pleasantly surprised. And considering the type of movie it was, I thought the CGI was quite restrained
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #16905
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
It was pretty nerve racking stuff. Makes you wonder why space suits are white. They really should be brown
Why brown? They should be f&*kin neon green/neon Red mix, I felt queasy when she just went floating off, "Tell me you location." , "Umm I just moved past Asia and am above Europe right now" WTF.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #16906
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Why brown? They should be f&*kin neon green/neon Red mix, I felt queasy when she just went floating off, "Tell me you location." , "Umm I just moved past Asia and am above Europe right now" WTF.
Why brown? Do you really have to ask.

You're in outer space, fixing antenna arrays (or whatever) when a shrapnel storm hits you at a few thousand km's per hour, sending you spinning off into space.

Which bodily function fails you first
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #16907
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:

You're in outer space, fixing antenna arrays (or whatever) when a shrapnel storm hits you at a few thousand km's per hour, sending you spinning off into space.

sure...
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #16908
protector2814
Phoenix

Diner (1982) - 7/10 - Love this one, and the soundtrack is just killer.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #16909
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:

LOLZ
Old 04-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #16910
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Bourne Legacy - I liked how it intertwined between Bourne Ultimatum, but it didn't hold my attention as much as I'd hoped. I guess I just missed Damon too much - 7/10

The Last Airbender - 2nd viewing of this since the cinema, and I still don't get the bandwagon hate for it. Lovely visuals and effects, decent enough acting, topped off by a once again beautiful score by JNH. A perfect recipe for a Shyamalan film. 8/10
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote