Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Oh wow... I thought this thread ended a while ago.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Moore_000, so I can fill the crack with apoxie sculpt and bake again? Im asking because, I sculpted the head without the hair and the crack runs along where the hair will be.

So Im assuming I can fill the crack with apoxie sculpt, wait for it to harden and then sculpt the hair on with sculpey... and then rebake again?

Another question I have is, I'm doing the body now and layering the armature with tin foil. I was reading in some of the posts that if there are air pockets in the tin foil that the sculpey surrounding the tin foil is prone to cracking. Is this true? Or is it the air pockets between the foil and the sculpey. I just found that odd... so I went back and really started tightening the tin foil.

Thank you again sifus.
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFire76 View Post
Oh wow... I thought this thread ended a while ago.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Moore_000, so I can fill the crack with apoxie sculpt and bake again? Im asking because, I sculpted the head without the hair and the crack runs along where the hair will be.

So Im assuming I can fill the crack with apoxie sculpt, wait for it to harden and then sculpt the hair on with sculpey... and then rebake again?

Another question I have is, I'm doing the body now and layering the armature with tin foil. I was reading in some of the posts that if there are air pockets in the tin foil that the sculpey surrounding the tin foil is prone to cracking. Is this true? Or is it the air pockets between the foil and the sculpey. I just found that odd... so I went back and really started tightening the tin foil.

Thank you again sifus.
Yes, you can bake the Apoxie Sculpt after you let it cure for 24 hours and sculpt over it afterwards. You can wrap a thin guage aluminum or steel wire over the tin foil to keep everything tight. I don't have issue with Sculpey cracking because of tin foil.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
JetFire76

Hey Moore_000,

Thanks again man! You have been very very helpful. I actually went and tighten the foil as well as wrapping wire around it to pack it in tightly.

If you don't mind me asking another question... I've been very curious about the base support that holds the armature. Like the support that holds up Magneto I think that was done by Pearl Thunder... It looks like a bunch of pipes connected together. I see some people with brass or copper pipes... and some other people with metallic pipes. Do you know what those pipes are? I think I seen something similar at Lowes or Home Depot.

Secondly, how are the pipes attached to the armature? Are these pipes stuck in to the oven with the statue for bake?

I will try to post links to some of these armature supports.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
JetFire76

Okay.. Here are some of the pipe like armature supports that I am talking about...

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=91774

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...t=94580&page=2

Can you please clarify? I think I found some reference to these types of support on the Tuturials blog... but it was not very clear. And could not find anything on this forum.

Thanks again sifu~
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
moore_000

The pipes you saw used as part of the armature is to support and stablize the sculpture as you work on it. I recently build one for the first time my self to work on a large sculpt. Go to the pipe/pluming department at Home Depot and look for the ones that you can screw/fit together. The idea is that you will need to use a thick and sturdy metal rod through the pipe and glue it to the armature for support. When the sculpting is done and cured, you cut the supporting metal rod off the sculpture.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
JetFire76

Moore_000

Wow... thanks again man! I am eternally greatful for your advice. And by the way, that is one fantastic Hulk sculpt! I'm really admiring the detailing of the feet and face for the Hulk. :tounge:

One last thing, so is it safe to stick these pipes into the oven? Just concerned about toxins and so forth from metals when heating. Is there any type of metals that I should be purchasing?

Thank you again sifu... and looking forward to updates on that Hulk!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
moore_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFire76 View Post
Moore_000

Wow... thanks again man! I am eternally greatful for your advice. And by the way, that is one fantastic Hulk sculpt! I'm really admiring the detailing of the feet and face for the Hulk. :tounge:

One last thing, so is it safe to stick these pipes into the oven? Just concerned about toxins and so forth from metals when heating. Is there any type of metals that I should be purchasing?

Thank you again sifu... and looking forward to updates on that Hulk!
As far as the oven, the metal pipe is just metal. You won't any glue to attach the pipes together as you screw them secure with the grooves that is pre-made. So there should be nothing on the metal pipe except metal. Your problem with using your baking oven would be the Sculpey and Apoxie Sculpt. They don't smell too good when heated up and might be toxic. I would suggest buying a BBQ smoker from Walmart and do it outside of the house. The whole setup would cost you about $200. The BBQ smoker I bought would fit sculpt of about 14" width, 14" length, and 30 inches height.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
JetFire76

Moore_000,

My friend... you have come through for me again. Really..thank you. I will stop the harassment now... I will be watching for updates on that Hulk of yours... It is looking pretty awesome man.

It's kind of funny what I've been noticing... but it seems like a rite of passage for sculptors to make a Hulk, Batman or Superman. Is that just me? But I must say ... everybody does seem to pass with flying colors and more. Can't believe how freaking awesome people's work are on this forum. I am learning so much!

Thank you again sifu.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Rob Potts
Producer
Producer

You should try baking at an even lower temp, 160 to 170 degrees. May need to bake a bit longer but that's OK. Also arrange your oven rack in the center of your oven, not too close to top or bottom of oven.
Good luck,
Rob Potts is offline   Reply With Quote