Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 05-28-2018, 02:54 AM   #21
Tushar
Hellboy

Which begs the question, why produce Squirrel Girl at all? Why not, say, a more grown-up character like comics Gamora instead? Even Psylocke is not a teen. And Koto is stepping away from the babyface phase.

In other words, if Koto produces adult characters with adult faces and seductive costumes/poses, Marvel shouldn't have a problem, theoretically. If they still do, this line is doomed.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:09 AM   #22
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Which begs the question, why produce Squirrel Girl at all? Why not, say, a more grown-up character like comics Gamora instead? Even Psylocke is not a teen. And Koto is stepping away from the babyface phase.

In other words, if Koto produces adult characters with adult faces and seductive costumes/poses, Marvel shouldn't have a problem, theoretically. If they still do, this line is doomed.
Well, the term "bishoujo" means "beautiful girl", not "beautiful woman". I would imagine that if Koto is going to make a statue of Gamora, it would be in the ArtFX or ArtFX+ lines.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 AM   #23
Tushar
Hellboy

Interesting point.

They already did a bunch of Marvel 'women', like Rogue and Sue and Elektra. They also did multiple versions of Wonder 'Woman'.

But all of them had babyface designs, so you might be right.

Semantics aside, I want this line to be adult characters, adult faces, focusing on sexy rather than cute.

I tend to avoid statues of teenage characters anyway.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:22 AM   #24
Gothamite
Phoenix

You should get this:

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #25
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I'm glad that Marvel made them tone it down. I know how i felt when i saw that bishounen Nightwing... He was a total slut. Probably girls feel the same way with sluty girl hero statues...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #26
NuSoard
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

This discussion really highlights a problematic mindset from which humanity still hasn't escaped: just because a person is posing a certain way, or is dressed in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, or indeed, is completely naked, does NOT mean they are now "sexualized". The unclothed human body exists outside of and regardless of any meaning we want to assign to it. Would you ever look at a photograph of a cow, or a sculpture of an eagle, and say "That's crossing the line...they need to put some clothes on."? I even read an interview today with James Cameron in which he said the scene in Alien where Ripley is in her underwear "crossed the line" lol. I don't like the direction in which we're headed...
NuSoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:15 AM   #27
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
You should get this:

I did:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfVKQr4H...by=tushar.raaj

("She's not bad. She's just sculpted that way")

I'm hoping they make more Disney Rock Candies.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #28
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I'm glad that Marvel made them tone it down. I know how i felt when i saw that bishounen Nightwing... He was a total slut. Probably girls feel the same way with sluty girl hero statues...
I get your point, but you probably weren't the target audience for that statue. That Nightwing is marketed toward girls, just like Bishoujos are marketed toward guys.

The unrealistically high sex appeal of comic characters has been a characteristic of them for decades. If some statues can highlight their strength or bravery or athleticism, statues that highlight their attractiveness is nothing to frown upon, in my opinion. Frankly, I'm glad that in this increasingly PC climate, there's a line that unapologetically focuses on their looks. Which is why any news of them being forced to "tone down" or "cancel" or "postpone" statues is a red flag for me.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #29
Augen
Metal Men

I took art classes and remember the first time you draw a nude model people are bit uneasy. By tenth one completely desensitized to it.

It always interesting to me standards within a culture. I watched Hannibal on network television and it had horrifying violence, really disturbing stuff. Then you notice how mild the language and sexual content is. They even took the care to arrange pile of dead bodies to hide any breasts or genitals because that would be too far.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #30
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
I get your point, but you probably weren't the target audience for that statue. That Nightwing is marketed toward girls, just like Bishoujos are marketed toward guys.

The unrealistically high sex appeal of comic characters has been a characteristic of them for decades. If some statues can highlight their strength or bravery or athleticism, statues that highlight their attractiveness is nothing to frown upon, in my opinion. Frankly, I'm glad that in this increasingly PC climate, there's a line that unapologetically focuses on their looks. Which is why any news of them being forced to "tone down" or "cancel" or "postpone" statues is a red flag for me.
Hey, i get your point as well. I'm a Witchblade fan... and i did dirty things looking at that comics when i was 14 lol But keeping the girls in that sluty way means they are gonna turn Nightwing in to slut for girls cause women and men are equal, then no... lets cover up the girls. I don't want Batman and Nightwing butt shots in my comics... And believe me, it's going there... lol
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote