Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hmmm, not sure about Kwan's quote because Leinil e-mailed me yesterday about con stuff and quoted the following - "400 usd for waist up, inks and copics on roughly a letter size board, 500 if on blank comic covers."

Leinil is not an easy "get" for commissions! Maybe message Leinil via Facebook and see what he says although he did say he's busy finishing off work before coming down for the shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Leinil Yu's art dealer tells me he will be charging $500 for a bust shot with copic monochromatic colours.

Woof. This comic art game is quickly becoming a rich man's hobby.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
halfthai
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Fingers crossed he does a better price for Adelaide if no-one bites in the Gold Coast.

On a side note, if I'm not queuing up to get something from Leinil, I'm not going to have much to do at this con after the drop outs.
halfthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #33
Royd
Producer
Producer

Colin Wilson? Duncan Rouleau will be sketching - check out his work at CAF and John Higgins did awesome commissions for Wrothy.

And Ashley Wood intends to have exclusive prints and an exclusive action figure at the show. Ashley's action figures are in high demand.

Just a few suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfthai View Post
Fingers crossed he does a better price for Adelaide if no-one bites in the Gold Coast.

On a side note, if I'm not queuing up to get something from Leinil, I'm not going to have much to do at this con after the drop outs.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #34
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Colin Wilson? Duncan Rouleau will be sketching - check out his work at CAF and John Higgins did awesome commissions for Wrothy.

And Ashley Wood intends to have exclusive prints and an exclusive action figure at the show. Ashley's action figures are in high demand.

Just a few suggestions
Check out this scan of the commission I will be picking up from John Higgins in Adelaide!

When I spoke to John he said that he probably wont have time to do anything other than quick sketches while he is here, so anyone wanting anything more substantial should contact him before the show.

I have his prices if anyone needs them
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
lordrycon

Good work on Michelle Fairley as the replacement GOT guest for Adelaide and Melbourne (and addition to Brisbane and Sydney)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #36
lordrycon

Quote:
Hmmm, not sure about Kwan's quote because Leinil e-mailed me yesterday about con stuff and quoted the following - "400 usd for waist up, inks and copics on roughly a letter size board, 500 if on blank comic covers."

Leinil is not an easy "get" for commissions! Maybe message Leinil via Facebook and see what he says although he did say he's busy finishing off work before coming down for the shows.
Hey Royd,

Do some comic artists in your experience charge so highly mainly due to not wanting to do commissions at conventions? Is it a case of putting the price high, less people may want one and therefore only the diehards will pay and that wont be many??

I got that feeling from Frank Cho when he was out here that he didnt really want to do commissions so if you wanted one you would have to pay dearly for the privilege.

I'm new to collecting so some peoples prices, especially those I am not really aware of their work, seem to be outrageously high.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #37
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:

Bizarre, as the email I got from him was also yesterday. Maybe he went with the higher amount because of the comic cover price, or rounded off $400USD as being $500 Aussie?

Either way I hope your email is correct, happy to save the $100.

Royd, do you know if he is bringing original art pages? Kwan basically said "he might but I doubt it".
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #38
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Hey Royd,

Do some comic artists in your experience charge so highly mainly due to not wanting to do commissions at conventions? Is it a case of putting the price high, less people may want one and therefore only the diehards will pay and that wont be many??
I recently listened to an interview with Leinil on the Sidebar podcast where they asked him exactly this question. He responded with "Well, my commissions are priced as though I don't want to do them".

He didn't elaborate beyond that.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #39
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Ryan,

That's one possible reason and I know some artists who just don't like or are not comfortable sketching at cons at all.

However, I think in most cases, the artists have found a pricing level where demand meets supply and they know that their asking price will be met. The higher profile artists or "A-listers" can demand prices which are pretty high indeed.

Prior to Frank coming out to Melbourne, he asked if I could arrange for a small number of commissions with Aussie collectors which he would complete before the show and during the show. From memory, he charged around $800.00 per commission.

The thing is, Frank very rarely does commissions & con sketches so this was a rare opportunity. More recently, he's sketched at a few shows but his commissions are still a rare beast.

Ths same thing occurred with Dave Gibbons where he asked if I could arrange for some pre-show commissions for the Supanova shows. He charged around $600.00 for pencil and $850 for inked pieces. However, this was a one-off opportunity because if you arranged for a commission through his art dealer (whom I know fairly well), it would be 2 or 3 times as much for a commission.

I know that Travis Charest occasionally agreed to sketch at shows but he would usually focus on one piece and had no time for other requests. He didn't need the money and his method is painstaking (ie he needs time not usually available at a show to create his lovely works of art)

With Leinil, I've seen him charge $400 - $500 at SDCC and he has more requests than he can handle. Of course, the market here is smaller and sometimes artists adjust their prices but not often. Just my 2 cents Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Hey Royd,

I got that feeling from Frank Cho when he was out here that he didnt really want to do commissions so if you wanted one you would have to pay dearly for the privilege.

I'm new to collecting so some peoples prices, especially those I am not really aware of their work, seem to be outrageously high.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #40
Royd
Producer
Producer

I've just written to Leinil - if he's able to get back to me before the show (he's busy trying to complete work so that he can attend the Supanova shows without having to do stuff here) then I'll pass along the details