Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #531
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulhym View Post
Are you really surpirsed? I for sure am not.
I am to the extent that one has to make an effort to be this level of bad. I mean, Lucas is still alive, and all they had to do was ask the creator for some course correction. But no, they went out of their way to do their own thing and made a steaming pile of manure.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #532
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
im going to rewatch TFA and TLJ tonight to prepare for TROS tomorrow, hopefully ill like them a bit better with another viewing
reviews based on my rewatch last night, figured id post in here instead of the movie review thread since we're talking star wars

TFA - people seem to prefer JJ over Rian but in my opinion he's equally at fault, if not moreso, for the direction of the new trilogy. The groundwork of the new trilogy started with him, no luke/leia/han being together, bland new characters, non-existant story, pushing out the old characters to focus on the new characters, that was all established by JJ. Based on the decisions set by JJ and probably Kathleen, this whole trilogy set off on the wrong foot and could not be redeemed. The most dissapointing thing about this movie is the decisions made, and the squandered potential - 6/10

TLJ - I will readily admit my biggest gripe with this movie was just the fact that they went in such a different direction with Luke than what I was expecting, but honestly, Luke passed on some really great lessons to Rey and I think whether he intended to or not he helped her immenseley, just in a non-traditional way. It makes sense when he says the force does not belong to the Jedi, they used it but they do not own it, and the Jedi being extinct does not mean the end of the force, its bigger than that. I can also understand Luke's reluctance to join the conflict, hes made out to be a legend and everyone thinks he could just walk in and save the day, but thats not reality, like he told Rey he can't just face down the first order himself. At the end of it all though, when the resistance was at their most desperate hour, Luke did not let them down, he was there in the only way he could be and did the only thing he could to save them and allow them to regroup and fight another day, he is the reason the resistance survives and im assuming ultimately wins in TROS so his sacrifice made a huge difference and was not in vain. All in all probably not what I would have done with Luke, but its not really my place to decide what happens with the character. The worst part of TLJ to me is the Finn/Rose subplot, it made no sense, went nowhere, and ended up costing the lives of many resistance members. One other thing I noticed from a purely artistic standpoint and actually enjoyed was the use of red throughout the movie, I thought it worked well in many scenes. If I put my personal bisases as a fan aside i'd give this movie 7/10, otherwise 6/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #533
Shoo
Hercules

I got out of the theater a couple of hours ago.

Yes, it is bad. Another big by-the-numbers déjÃ- vu.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #534
built2shred
Phoenix

To me, this trilogy was no better than the Transformer movies, really bad stories but lots of CGI and action to distract the audience. I mean seriously how hard is it to create a good story...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #535
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
I got out of the theater a couple of hours ago.

Yes, it is bad. Another big by-the-numbers déjÃ- vu.
Wow...reviews support you on this. I may not even go and just stick with my original trilogy and call it a day.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #536
Luminous
Cyclops

Historically this is not a place I can discuss Star Wars. So I'm just stopping by to provide what I am sure is a differing opinion around here. I loved it. Big surprise... I know.

People need to realize that these characters are simply too close to people. The different receptions of TFA and TLJ are all the proof you need of that. You play things too safe and it's "predictable" or "unoriginal". You attempt something new and it's "#notmyLuke". At this point, and strictly speaking in terms of cinema, this is as good we could possibly expect with these characters and the Skywalker name.

The Star Wars universe still has a lot it can offer. Even in terms of originality. I just don't think they could have realistically done it with the Skywalkers.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:40 PM   #537
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Historically this is not a place I can discuss Star Wars. So I'm just stopping by to provide what I am sure is a differing opinion around here. I loved it. Big surprise... I know.

People need to realize that these characters are simply too close to people. The different receptions of TFA and TLJ are all the proof you need of that. You play things too safe and it's "predictable" or "unoriginal". You attempt something new and it's "#notmyLuke". At this point, and strictly speaking in terms of cinema, this is as good we could possibly expect with these characters and the Skywalker name.

The Star Wars universe still has a lot it can offer. Even in terms of originality. I just don't think they could have realistically done it with the Skywalkers.
Well, that's not 100% true. There were a wealth of comics, novels and other storylines which followed the Skywalker lineage after ROTJ that were very good. Disney just chose to thrown them out in favor of their own story.

But yes, at THIS point, after the two previous films, I'm sure this film was as good as it could be given what it had to work with.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #538
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Well, that's not 100% true. There were a wealth of comics, novels and other storylines which followed the Skywalker lineage after ROTJ that were very good. Disney just chose to thrown them out in favor of their own story.

But yes, at THIS point, after the two previous films, I'm sure this film was as good as it could be given what it had to work with.
I agree there were a lot of very good stories surrounding the Skywalker family in other mediums. That's why I specified it in terms of 'cinema'. Movies have a much broader audience than any other story telling medium. Simply impossible to please everyone given the format and a franchise of this scope. The result is what we've been given. Personally, I understand why it was done the way it was done and I'm happy given the constraints.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #539
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
reviews based on my rewatch last night, figured id post in here instead of the movie review thread since we're talking star wars

TFA - people seem to prefer JJ over Rian but in my opinion he's equally at fault, if not moreso, for the direction of the new trilogy. The groundwork of the new trilogy started with him, no luke/leia/han being together, bland new characters, non-existant story, pushing out the old characters to focus on the new characters, that was all established by JJ. Based on the decisions set by JJ and probably Kathleen, this whole trilogy set off on the wrong foot and could not be redeemed. The most dissapointing thing about this movie is the decisions made, and the squandered potential - 6/10

TLJ - I will readily admit my biggest gripe with this movie was just the fact that they went in such a different direction with Luke than what I was expecting, ... The worst part of TLJ to me is the Finn/Rose subplot, it made no sense, went nowhere, and ended up costing the lives of many resistance members. One other thing I noticed from a purely artistic standpoint and actually enjoyed was the use of red throughout the movie, I thought it worked well in many scenes. If I put my personal bisases as a fan aside i'd give this movie 7/10, otherwise 6/10
Indulge me just for a bit:

Yes none of JJ's work has a point yet they hired him to make 2 Star Wars movies and helm the Trilogy.
Seriously does any of his work have any meaning even concrete conclusions?

Disney wouldn't give Michael Arndt time to figure things out. And then they got Lawrence Kasdan back.
Ah yes The Empire Strikes Back writer. The Master. The Golden Child Writer of everyones most beloved and serious Star Wars entry. How can this go wrong?

Here's how: he turned this whole trilogy into The Empire Strikes Back. Everything in shambles and everyone splintered apart For all it's adoration Empire ONLY works as a sequel to what came before it.

If the OT trio had been together for the 1st one, if they didn't rehash a Death Star planet, and if Luke had his triumphant moment and caught that lightsaber ("That lightsaber belongs to me!" "No. It was given to me") instead of Rey people would have been on the high like Star Wars and ready to see their heroes have their faith tested.

TFA took every bit of goodwill Star Wars had and cashed in while making no new investments. When Rian tried to make a 2nd Act (where the heroes are to be strained the most) he literally had NOTHING to work with.

At the end of it though Lucas is still to blame because he never should of sold it. He could have had any studio agree to whatever terms he wanted and all he would have had to do is let them have the money but he wanted the profits and when he saw an easier way he took the payday and sold out.

Lucas's involvement in all 9 movies really does illustrate the force just like Johnson did and Lucas's "sold my children to white slavers" comment is right on the money. Like parenting it isn't about holding on (the prequels) or letting go (the sequels) but the balance of the tension between the 2 is where greatness lives (the originals).

If anyone really cares read this and have your eyes opened to what might have been.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...l-arndt-script
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #540
ottorino
The X-Men

Michael Arndt didn't he have something to do with the Hunger Games ? if so they were terrible movies.
ottorino is offline   Reply With Quote