Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #26191
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The Cave (2019) - Amidst air strikes and bombings, a group of female doctors in Ghouta, Syria struggle with systemic sexism while trying to care for the injured using limited resources.

Illuminating, startling, depressing. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #26192
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Marriage Story 6/10
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #26193
Python
Omega Red

Hellboy (2019) 4/10

I like David Harbour a lot since watching stranger things. And his performance was fine here. But everything that made the Del Toro movies so charming and likeable was painfully absent from this one. Replaced by lifeless CGI monsters and jokes that rarely land. If it had been the first movie in the franchise, it might have been a little better received, but it isn't, and it only raises the question further as to why they didn't just give us the third Del Toro Hellboy that we all wanted....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #26194
ParisDean

The Two Popes (2019) - Behind Vatican walls, the conservative Pope Benedict and the liberal future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.

This is the first buddy pope movie I've ever seen. It surprisingly had many tender and funny moments. 8/10
Old 01-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #26195
Portugueezer
Hellboy

1917 9.5/10

A technically near perfect movie.
Some sequences just makes you wish you could stop and rewind to try and see how it was done.
Recommend Imax viewing for this one.
Portugueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #26196
ukshaun
Hercules

Ad Astra (2019) 8/10

This is one of those films that does what it does well. Set mostly in Space, it's makers didn't waste time boring the viewer with too much in the way of floating about, pushing buttons, looking at monitors ect. The sci-fi SFX look excellent. For all of Ad Astra's good points, it's not something i'd want to watch time and time again.

There is one scene that i failed to like, and felt was unnecessary, the scene involves a primate. Like wise, there is a shoot-out between a group of lunar vehicles, which seemed unnecessary, and failed to add anything to the movie. Both scenes appear to have been included to add some action, which the story could have lived without.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #26197
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

The Lion King - 7.5/10 - A good CGI remake of the original, not as good as Aladdin, but far better than the others they've done.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #26198
ParisDean

Missing Link (2019) - Mr. Link recruits explorer Sir Lionel Frost to help find his long-lost relatives in the fabled valley of Shangri-La. Along with adventurer Adelina Fortnight, this trio of explorers travel the world to help their new friend.

It wasn't bad. The contemporary messages regarding belonging and empowerment were fairly overt. I did think the cartoon physics in the big finale was totally bonkers though. 6/10
Old 01-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #26199
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Ad Astra (2019) 8/10

This is one of those films that does what it does well. Set mostly in Space, it's makers didn't waste time boring the viewer with too much in the way of floating about, pushing buttons, looking at monitors ect. The sci-fi SFX look excellent. For all of Ad Astra's good points, it's not something i'd want to watch time and time again.

There is one scene that i failed to like, and felt was unnecessary, the scene involves a primate. Like wise, there is a shoot-out between a group of lunar vehicles, which seemed unnecessary, and failed to add anything to the movie. Both scenes appear to have been included to add some action, which the story could have lived without.
Yeah, that primate scene felt straight out of a different, and horror, film. It didn't bother me, but it was a bit jarring after the more methodical tone the whole rest of it seemed to be setting up.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #26200
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Them! (1954) - 7.5/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote