Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #1
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

Monthly Budget or Alottment?

Hi all, I'm new to the forms and thinking about jumping into this 1/3 Madness. I was just wondering if any of you are doing what I'm considering, thinking of a 'x number of payments' limit on myself. Do you budget with monthly money, monthly pieces to be paying on, or annual volume of pieces? I'm not asking for specifics, that's none of my business, just curious how you guys discipline your routine. I'm thinking of trying to have no more than two payments per month in prime-1 statues, or maybe 2-3 per year if I can swing it with the old lady. Needless to say, she's not really super approving of this hobby, but that's a different group support topic altogether
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
Divinesorrow
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forms and thinking about jumping into this 1/3 Madness. I was just wondering if any of you are doing what I'm considering, thinking of a 'x number of payments' limit on myself. Do you budget with monthly money, monthly pieces to be paying on, or annual volume of pieces? I'm not asking for specifics, that's none of my business, just curious how you guys discipline your routine. I'm thinking of trying to have no more than two payments per month in prime-1 statues, or maybe 2-3 per year if I can swing it with the old lady. Needless to say, she's not really super approving of this hobby, but that's a different group support topic altogether
Hey Omega! Welcome to the forums! I’m pretty new to the hobby myself and wanted to chime in and see if I could help.

I’ve only been collecting for two and a half years now and I do exactly what you are talking about. I use excel to budget my month payments with statues I have on order and statues that I plan on ordering. I have it decided into characters and sometimes lines I want to collect or complete.

Easiest thing you can do to help with this is

GET OUT NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN!! DONT DO IT!

Every statue that comes out is better than the last and more and more companies are on the scene and lines never end or they end before they even begin, costs only go up and up. Space goes down and down. I’m homeless.

Goodluck my dude, enjoy.
Divinesorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #3
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just budget yourself wisely and take care of your responsibilities but don't allow your wife or anyone else to tell you what to do with your disposable income. You only live once enjoy yourself and this hobby
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
Comic69
Frackin!

@Omegaplex
@Divinesorrow
@Zombiez

all of you:

I am collecting statues since march and it's really madness
I use an extra credit card with a budget for this hobby and I pay a monthly amount on it. I try to use only this space of the credit card. That's the theory...
In real life I am waiting for the Arkham Catwoman ex and have Huntress, Poison Ivy and Selina on PO plus two weta and one sideshow statues...
Maybe I have to cancel one or two PO's... or have to drop the family summer holidays...

My lady like the statues too, but she is not to be keen that this hobby is so expensive...
Comic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Payments are a good option if you have multiple statues on order. By the time the statues ship, they're already paid off.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Payments are a good option if you have multiple statues on order. By the time the statues ship, they're already paid off.
this is what i do, order statues in 6-8 month time periods. by the time i go to order a new set of statues everything else is paid off and ive had time to think about if i really want the statue or not
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Augen
Metal Men

I always treat money the following.

1. Responsibilities
2. Savings
3. Fun

I couldn't even think about this hobby until my finances were in good shape. I have my purchases planned out over next year and then a variable fund for surprise announcements (Power Girl 1/3 for example). Main thing is you should be enjoying it rather than stressing out about it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
ukshaun
Hercules

Be careful..

My 2018 life has been on hold while i grab pieces (some not all) i want. Once my current pre orders are paid, i'm backing right off, and plan to buy 1 maybe 2 pieces per year in order to sustain my collecting Appetite, not to mention get my life back
I could use new cloths, a holiday etc
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
myskye23
Hellboy

I'm new to collecting as well (started 2.5 years ago) and I basically give myself a monthly allotment of what I can spend after the mortgage, car payments, and credit card bills. Currently, I can handle 3 payments per month and almost every statue I have on PO are from Prime 1 and those are the statues that I REALLY WANT. I don't care too much about finishing a line so I just concentrate on what I want and what looks good to me.

Sometimes I have to pass on certain statues that I want (Batman Who Laughs) unfortunately.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
Mister H
Gen 13

I collect guns, art and whiskey. I buy whichever one I like best at the moment based on my disposable income. Key word is disposable.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote