Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #101
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Aside from the fact that you're talking about a fictional technology (repulsorlift tech) in a fictional galaxy where the physics are clearly different from ours (i.e. sound in space), the carbonite slab was moved around horizontally, so if the imperials who were pushing it through the halls of Bespin were to stop and sit on top of the slab it would likely support their weight, just like Luke's desert speeder supported his weight when he jumped in it and rode off. Since the carbonite slab is in this vertical position, it actually makes sense that Boba could lean on it and have his weight supported like so.

But hey, just a thought
I've never considered that Star Wars has different physics. I find that 'sound in space' merely a conceit for movie-making purposes.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #102
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I've never considered that Star Wars has different physics. I find that 'sound in space' merely a conceit for movie-making purposes.
Yeah, perhaps "clearly different" is an overstretch. I'm not saying the physics in that world is radically different from ours, and how certain things are portrayed (like sound and explosions in the vacuum of space) is certainly better off as we see them for the sake of storytelling and spectacle. My main point centered more about the fictional replusorlift technology allowing Boba to lean on the slab. Ah, we're such geeks, I love it
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #103
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Yeah, perhaps "clearly different" is an overstretch. I'm not saying the physics in that world is radically different from ours, and how certain things are portrayed (like sound and explosions in the vacuum of space) is certainly better off as we see them for the sake of storytelling and spectacle. My main point centered more about the fictional replusorlift technology allowing Boba to lean on the slab. Ah, we're such geeks, I love it
Yeah, just scifi tech we haven't invented...yet...

ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:56 AM   #104
Frankierock
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
obviously it would need to be reworked a little but im pretty sure when han was sculpted it was done completely before boba was keyed to it. they take that sculpt and key it to the base that is also already sculpted and produce. not that far from producing a variant with minor changes and they get to get even more revenue from an already existing sculpt
Oh I get what you are saying and agree..but it?s also why I?m shocked they didn?t just leave well enough alone. Han never needed to float to impress us. It would have been just as impressive if Han was in back of Boba keyed in on the base.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #105
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
I think it's quite clear how it's not only possible, but probable that someone leans like that as obviously the below post indicates from the artist himself. Haven't you ever leaned into a wall before?

I also think you are missing some of the imagination needed for this piece. Can't you imagine that the the carbonite chamber has some sort of magnetic hold on the piece which locks him into place, if desired? If you can believe in the carbonite freezing system, surely you can believe in it's suspension capabilities too as we already know it can float when he's horizontal so why not vertical as well? And if it can float with that weight, surely it can hold a couple hundred pounds more of weight without giving in to gravity.
Not with a weighted backpack on. Imagine putting a propane tank on your back and try to stand like that? A firefighter air tank weighs 23 lbs and it’s quite small compare to boba’s pack. I would say it would be close to 50lbs. Your leg position would not be relaxed like that if you had 50lbs on your back. It’s 100% impossible to do what the sculpt is implying it can do. It defies logic and yes physics! And not only that, the Carbonite has no indication that’s it’s locked into place. There should be something below (or the top) magnetizing / locking it into place and it doesn’t. This tells me it’s floating and if it was touch, it would move. Therefore, Boba Fett would not have any support when he is trying to lean on it. He would in fact fall backwards. Love Matt Black stuff but he missed the mark on this one.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:01 PM   #106
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Matt Black was trying to create a new pose,and this is a fully sculpted piece sales within 800 dollars.Be fair.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #107
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypy View Post
Matt Black was trying to create a new pose,and this is a fully sculpted piece sales within 800 dollars.Be fair.
Lol, statue collecting isn?t a cult. It would be hilarious to suggest that he was working backwards from a new pose for this design. He was clearly working backwards from how to suspend the carbonite in the air without too much future lean and the bad pose was the result of statue physics dependencies. Seems like a bad design philosophy.
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #108
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
Lol, statue collecting isn?t a cult. It would be hilarious to suggest that he was working backwards from a new pose for this design. He was clearly working backwards from how to suspend the carbonite in the air without too much future lean and the bad pose was the result of statue physics dependencies. Seems like a bad design philosophy.
Pretty sure he based the statue on his own pose, as he often does.

nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:30 PM   #109
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

As much as i love Boba Fett, this isn't correct. ESB Boba Outfit with A ROTJ Han in Carbonite sequence. I wont be spending 800 on this.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:10 PM   #110
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Pretty sure he based the statue on his own pose, as he often does.

That?s after-the-fact PR once it was determined the Han carbonite needed to come in contact with Boba, which never happened in a movie scene and the only justification for it goes back to statue physics considerations. Or maybe it was really something like he was at a bar and a lightbulb went off, what if Boba Fett did the pickup artist lean on a table at a singles bar?
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote