Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Universe vs Universe - another Australian comic convention

Hi guys

Just thought I'd draw your attention to the fact that there is another comic convention starting up in Australia, which will be in Melbourne on 21/22 February 2015 at the Crown Conference Centre.

When they get to 500 likes on their Facebook page, they will announce the first of their five guests. Should be interesting to see who they have lined up.

http://www.facebook.com/UniverseVsUniverse is the link.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Royd
Producer
Producer

Just been checking out their Facebook page - no website as far as I can see. I was curious as to who's running it and what sort of credibility they have - not being negative, just wondering what their background is

Looks like they have a good venue (depending on what sort of space they've booked) and I'm also intrigued to see whom they'll announce as their first 5 guests.

Another comics-related convention (although they appear to be primarily comics based) in Melbourne! That makes 4 comics-related shows in Melbourne including Supanova, OzCC, Armageddon and now UvU - crikey!

Not sure about their timing because most people will still be recovering from Christmas/New Year expenditure *shrug*
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Wrothy

Looks like it's run by a group called Australian Fandom Conventions, who have apparently "run 10 conventions over the last 7 years in NSW, VIC, SA and WA". From what I can find online, it seems to be mostly 'furry' conventions, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Royd
Producer
Producer

Thanks for info mate! "Furries" huh? Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
Looks like it's run by a group called Australian Fandom Conventions, who have apparently "run 10 conventions over the last 7 years in NSW, VIC, SA and WA". From what I can find online, it seems to be mostly 'furry' conventions, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm interested to see who they bring out but the event description so far makes me not want to go.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I'm curious as to what they have planned, we have people who are well connected and generally in the know on this board (Royd, Rod). It concerns me that no one seems to know much about this.
What I mean by that is, I imagine that if they were connected enough to go after big name comics guests, then considering that Australia is a small pond, that someone would know who these guys are and what they are capable of.
Hopefully they can pull it off, I would love to go to a straight out comic convention
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Rocket
Art of Mod

Yeah watching with interest. Fanboy Rod wants it to work out. Realist Rod isnt too excited at the moment
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It's in 2015 by the way.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Wrothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
It's in 2015 by the way.
Oops! Initial post edited.

That makes a lot more sense - trying to get people to buy tickets for a con in less than two months with no details available would be doomed to failure.

Only 13 more likes to go until we find out the name of the first guest.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I dont see how a comics only convention could make money unless they arent paying the artists and writers to attend.

Big names in comics would have an appearance fee for international shows I imagine, and there arent enough sole comics fans to warrant a stand along convention IMO.

Even some of the cross format conventions (Nova, Arma, Oz-Con etc) can sometimes be light on attendance and they are appealing to a wide range of fandoms.

The more conventions that I go to, the more I realise that it is the same group of people who are the comic fans who are queuing for commissions and sketches at every con. That's not a bad thing, it just seems that there is a very small but dedicated bunch of collectors, but not enough to fill a convention centre.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote