Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 04-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #5661
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
As much as it pains me to do so, I have to defend Mondo here. Save this post, this will be the first and last time.

They have tried to position themselves as the most legit gallery (licenses for everything they do). Why on earth would they risk damaging themselves for ONE print? Sorry, but they're running a business and the risk there is far greater than the reward from the sale of a single print. They might not even agree with what they felt they had to do, who knows. Fact is, it was the correct decision from a business standpoint. Yes, there are some/many artists that manipulate images to create their art, but this is one of the worst yet. Most are not nearly this obvious and Manev should have known better. I have 3 pieces of his work so I am most definitely a fan, but this time he took the dirty little secret and pushed it WAY too far.
Just read about this issue and I have to agree with the above while adding this -- why would Mondo walk into what very possibly would become a copyright infringement lawsuit. While some say this practice is common in prints it definitely is frowned upon in comics and comics original art.

I also agree there is some hypocrisy - remember the Man of Steel open edition that was clearl a swipe of Alex Ross' art?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #5662
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Just read about this issue and I have to agree with the above while adding this -- why would Mondo walk into what very possibly would become a copyright infringement lawsuit. While some say this practice is common in prints it definitely is frowned upon in comics and comics original art.

I also agree there is some hypocrisy - remember the Man of Steel open edition that was clearl a swipe of Alex Ross' art?
That was more of a homage than a swipe.
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #5663
bloodrain
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:

That was done intentionally. Its the same pose used on superman #1 which Ross based his painting on. I see no issue with artists taking a classic pose and adding their own styling to it or refreshing it for newer versions . Taking an unrelated image to make yours is a whole different story.

bloodrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #5664
Underdog07
Hercules

This was posted by someone else when the poster was released. Makes it look a lot more like tracing than an homage.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #5665
Whirl Wind Boy

Quote:

This was posted by someone else when the poster was released. Makes it look a lot more like tracing than an homage.
Not if you don't get the homage. That was Supermans first appearance in comic form, and MOS was the first cinematic portrayal in this new DC universe. It makes perfect sense to me.

It's just another example of how artist do their work these days. If your expecting hand drawn artwork than i find it's usually only the comic book artist like Jock that do it (with a few exceptions of course).

If you don't like it simply don't support the artist. Doesnt bother me though.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #5666
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirl Wind Boy View Post
Not if you don't get the homage. That was Supermans first appearance in comic form, and MOS was the first cinematic portrayal in this new DC universe. It makes perfect sense to me.

It's just another example of how artist do their work these days. If your expecting hand drawn artwork than i find it's usually only the comic book artist like Jock that do it (with a few exceptions of course).

Superman's first appearance was in Action Comics No. 1.

Last edited by Luminous; 04-26-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #5667
Whirl Wind Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Superman's first appearance was in Action Comics No. 1.

Correct, i should have said Supermans first actual comic like bloodrain posted above.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #5668
leplant
Deadman

I understand there is a bit of artistic plagiarism going on here, but I really wanted that poster.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #5669
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirl Wind Boy View Post

Not sure if you are/were trying to come off as insulting but your post definitely come off that way to me.

I do understand where the image comes from. I also understand what an homage is. I do not understand an homage to be a near line for line reproduction of another's work. I understand an homage to be one artists take based upon another artists take. I also understand what copyright, trademark, and patent infringement are as well as many of the nuances of those laws having been in the profession for nearly 20 years. The fact that it is now easier to replicate artwork through new technology does not change those laws.

Regardless of whether you or anyone else is okay with it, line by line homages, tracings, copyings or whatever you want to call them could very easily result in a copyright infringement lawsuit. MOndo, to me, seems to be a smart company and if they were aware made aware of the ansin-Ross similarity (and had not had Ross' approval), I wager they would have pulled it similar to what they did with the Markov.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #5670
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Not sure if you are/were trying to come off as insulting but your post definitely come off that way to me.

I do understand where the image comes from. I also understand what an homage is. I do not understand an homage to be a near line for line reproduction of another's work. I understand an homage to be one artists take based upon another artists take. I also understand what copyright, trademark, and patent infringement are as well as many of the nuances of those laws having been in the profession for nearly 20 years. The fact that it is now easier to replicate artwork through new technology does not change those laws.

Regardless of whether you or anyone else is okay with it, line by line homages, tracings, copyings or whatever you want to call them could very easily result in a copyright infringement lawsuit. MOndo, to me, seems to be a smart company and if they were aware made aware of the ansin-Ross similarity (and had not had Ross' approval), I wager they would have pulled it similar to what they did with the Markov.
Underdog, in your professional opinion, would the Ansin piece, in comparision to the Ross one, be a strong case for copyright infringment? I understand that both are based on "Superman #1" and I do see the similarities in the outline with that gif you posted. Having said that, as a total lay person, I would have thought that the vastly different costume, features/head, detailing and cape would have put Ansin's piece into the realm of original. That is all notwithstanding the background and design elements.

Just sincierely asking an opinion as I was surprised that this example would also be cause for a potential copyright infringment. I understood the Prometheus example due to Janes likeness and other components being completely utilized but I would have thought the MoS would be in the clear.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote