Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Jojo Rabbit

Quote:
Writer director Taika Waititi (THOR: RAGNAROK, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE), brings his signature style of humor and pathos to his latest film, JOJO RABBIT, a World War II satire that follows a lonely German boy (Roman Griffin Davis as JoJo) whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.

In Theaters October 18, 2019

Thoughts? I think this looks really interesting and it's one of my most anticipated movies right now. I'm also expecting it to get a lot of backlash, so I'm curious to see if this will be a success or not.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I think it looks interesting enough to see it in the theater. I like the stuff that Taika has done so I will give it a try.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post

Thoughts? I think this looks really interesting and it's one of my most anticipated movies right now. I'm also expecting it to get a lot of backlash, so I'm curious to see if this will be a success or not.
It's a comedy right? What kind of backlash would it get? The Hitler stuff?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Medusoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
It's a comedy right? What kind of backlash would it get? The Hitler stuff?
I've already seen people lament that this "trivializes" Nazis and everything they've done, I guess just because the trailer is funny and has some peppy music.

Some people are also afraid that the film's portrayal of Hitler as a bumbling idiot will somehow make him a sympathetic character.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Those people are morons. Anybody who finds Hitler sympathetic already did, no movie with change what a monster he was. I agree that his charismatic persuasive abilities over people is fascinating, but that does not make him a sympathetic, logical, or decent human.

I can say the same for some political figures in this county too these days. Just amazing how pure evil and bigotry can be so blatant and yet still excused. I will never by sympathetic to those types of behaviors.

This movie will probably be pretty deep. I might give it a shot in the theatre.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
I've already seen people lament that this "trivializes" Nazis and everything they've done, I guess just because the trailer is funny and has some peppy music.

Some people are also afraid that the film's portrayal of Hitler as a bumbling idiot will somehow make him a sympathetic character.
The Producers made this concept a central aspect with Springtime for Hitler mocking him. Brooks felt when you laugh at something you take its power away.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
Medusoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Those people are morons. Anybody who finds Hitler sympathetic already did, no movie with change what a monster he was. I agree that his charismatic persuasive abilities over people is fascinating, but that does not make him a sympathetic, logical, or decent human.

I can say the same for some political figures in this county too these days. Just amazing how pure evil and bigotry can be so blatant and yet still excused. I will never by sympathetic to those types of behaviors.

This movie will probably be pretty deep. I might give it a shot in the theatre.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
The Producers made this concept a central aspect with Springtime for Hitler mocking him. Brooks felt when you laugh at something you take its power away.
I agree with him and I'm sure Taika Waititi feels the same way. He actually had an amazing response when asked about this:

Quote:
When Taika Waititi, who is Maori/Jewish, was asked about why he chose to play the role of Adolf Hitler he said "The answer's simple, what better **** you to that guy?"