Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Albatross Japan Shin Godzilla Statue

Started to pick up a few more pieces for my Toku collection ( focusing on Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Rider ) and picked up a few X-plus 12 inch pieces as really there's nothing outside of X-plus for Godzilla ( I have Prime 1 Gamera & Ultraman (technically based on the anime but still lol )) so during my searches i came across Albatross Japan who do actual Polystone statues of Godzilla in around a 10 inch scale and the most recent release was a Shin Godzilla which claimed to be "12 inches tall with a 32inch tail" so i found one for about £200 including shipping to the UK and took the punt.

Now outside of a few pics i couldn't find hardly any information on these pieces, all i knew was there was a standalone version, a version with all 3 Shin Gojira forms and a open mouthed version, i had no idea whats the production piece was like, i didn't even know it had a stand until i opened it...

And the result is....it's pretty ok. The version i got has a stand, has switch out heads and amazingly it has a light up lol. Now the paints are fine, they aren't amazing but because of the light up feature the whole body is cast in clear resin so it gives this sort of purple/translucent glow to the whole thing...but the biggest problem and what really takes the statue down several notches is the seam for the switch out heads, not only is it really noticeable on both heads but the head is a slightly different colour, it reminds me of the Sideshow Hulk PF and how bad that was....and then add to the fact when lit up the light up stops at the head lol, it all looks a bit odd. I would have loved it to have a switch on the side of the base and a mode to just have it in the purple colour permanently...

Like i said i had no idea this had a light up feature and it feels very last minute because the switch to turn it on is underneath the base, so everytime you want to turnb it on you have slide half the statue off the shelf so you can get a hand to it....and then the light up itself starts off a bright red then flashes, reds and white before settling on a rather brilliant blue/purple before flashing again and going back to red...but as you'll see on the pictures when it's blue and subtle it look rather good but when its red and you have that harsh cut off at the neck it looks very odd.

The statue actually measures about 10 inches to the top of Godzillas head and about 19inch to the top of the tail so for the money it's a actually a fair sized piece.

Overall i'm quite happy with it, i know there are better Shins out there and i'll probably pick up others but i do like the oddity of this one, and over the last few days its grown on me immensely...if that head seam was better i'd be raving about this one because i do think it has some nice paint touches and a unique (if inaccurate) sculpt.

I'm gonna throw some pics in my next post but does anyone else have any Albatross Japan pieces?

Will also do a video review of this at some point, just so the information is out there for people.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Old 08-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Old 08-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Old 08-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Review is up if you want to check it out!