Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #361
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
For $40 these things are a bargain, but it should come as no surprise to anybody that production pieces at this price point don't match up to their prototypes. Prime 1 these ain't.

But for a nicely scaled collection at a rock bottom price, they work really well. Just don't expect them to hold up to close scrutiny, there are severe production limitations at this price point. You'll never look at a Diamond Select piece and think it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen, they're mass marketable on the cheap. But they're great for what they are, IMO.
The great thing is we have all these tiers of statues. If you want high quality or low price can do that. I have a mix myself and see pros within both.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #362
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I've seen pictures of the GameStop exclusive Joker and that's really nice. The Supergirl they had at NYCC was a production piece and that was close to prototype IMO.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #363
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
I've seen pictures of the GameStop exclusive Joker and that's really nice.
It turned out very well. I didn't get it only because the costume is so similar to the DC Icons statue that I already have.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #364
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

For $40 they're basically petty cash in this hobby. We're always hoping they'll amaze, but 'pretty good' is very reasonable for what you pay. The Superman and Aquaman are perfectly fine, I passed on the first Harley and will wait for the one with the gun in hand. I haven't seen any of the GameStop exclusive stuff yet, and I'm not interested in the dark nights metal. But they're putting enough of these things out on the cheap that just about everybody can find something to like. But I think if you want something that's going to be really amazing for a specific character you love, you're going to have to find another line and pony up more cash.

For me, this line is like my force multiplier set - I can get a lot of them and they look good enough on the Shelf at a distance, it's a cool 'general DC' display, like those awesome two-page spreads guys like George Perez used to do back in the day with a hundred characters on it. Great stuff.
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #365
Bea625
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
It turned out very well. I didn't get it only because the costume is so similar to the DC Icons statue that I already have.

Picked this one up over the weekend. Once I saw it in person, I had to have it. Paint apps and sculpts always seem to be better on the Gamestop exclusives. It's a great looking statue.

As far as the rest of the line, I own Aquaman and Superman thus far. Aquaman is a terrific statue and the paint turned out excellent on mine. The sculpt and paint on Superman is also very well done. There are always minor imperfections on even the better painted/sculpted statues in this line. However, they are totally worth the money if you're not the type to overscrutinize every little detail.
Bea625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #366
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea625 View Post
Picked this one up over the weekend. Once I saw it in person, I had to have it. Paint apps and sculpts always seem to be better on the Gamestop exclusives. It's a great looking statue.

As far as the rest of the line, I own Aquaman and Superman thus far. Aquaman is a terrific statue and the paint turned out excellent on mine. The sculpt and paint on Superman is also very well done. There are always minor imperfections on even the better painted/sculpted statues in this line. However, they are totally worth the money if you're not the type to overscrutinize every little detail.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #367
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
That depends on your definition of subpar. If by subpar you mean not looking exactly like the prototype, then yes, both of them are subpar (only superman and aquaman are out so far, and I have both). If you mean subpar for a $40 1/7-ish scale painted statue, then no, none of them have been subpar. They are $40 10-12" statues, their is no par because nobody else is coming close to this size, at this price point. For what you pay they're a bargain.
My definition of "par" would have to be the build/paint quality in Diamond Gallery's own lines, other than this one. (For instance, the Netflix Defenders line was quite good.) I know that arguably every statue at this price in this size is a bargain. Despite that, I believe there shouldn't be a vast difference in the proto and the final piece. If, for argument's sake, the bigger props in this line are causing them to cut corners, then they should either make smaller props or increase the price. Sacrificing quality is never a good idea in my eyes.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #368
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:

Tushar, I've been posting pictures in this thread.
I saw them. Appreciate all your posts, Gothamite.

I just wanted to hear from people who actually own it, as it's impossible for me to inspect it in person before buying. I now realize that it may be a lost cause. All reviews seemimgly boil down to "It's a bargain at this price", which is understandable, I guess, but unhelpful.

The thing with Diamond Gallery is that they have a very suspect hit-or-miss ratio, and I've come to realize that I can't just order based on prototype pics like I do for DC or Koto. For example, I really wanted the masked X-23(Wolverine), but too many people got copies with shoddy paintwork, and I just couldn't take the risk.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #369
jlaavenger
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Flash is scheduled for April 2019.

I wish Flash had boot wings
jlaavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #370
jlaavenger
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
At this rate half my collection will be Diana.
Sweet. Have to order her. What's up with the blue Batman with yellow oval?
jlaavenger is offline   Reply With Quote