Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Actually, and I've said this before, I think Morrison has Neil Gaiman envy. Gaiman's a real, NYTimes bestselling author who's done absolutely phenomenal, complex as well as intellectually and viscerally satisfying comic book work. I think Morrison's grinding his teeth and thinking he should get the kind of credit Gaiman gets. Problem is, Morrison simply doesn't have Gaiman's chops to compete.
this sounds about as spot on as can be Joe...

Still haven't purchased my comics yet gang... my reviews may be old hat by the time they are up... (being as though I am reviewing Spidey this week) but I'm still going to try...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I like a lot of Morrison stuff but I also hate a lot.. I will say this about his works, they read much better when looking at a whole and not pieces. It also doesn't help that the first issue of FC came out when SI #2 came out and still isn't finished.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
bat_collector
Galactus

all these mini's need to end to

but, I'm just upset they killed bats

I hope we don't have to go too long with out bruce
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
I think he is trying to outdo other writers with his tales but at the same time he's pushing them away.
Lord Odin, welcome back to the forum!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P. View Post
Wow, that's quite the powerful review, Joe. You have summarized most eloquently that which is what I would guess many a DC reader feels. I've felt for a long time now that one has to put in a lot more effort than one normally would (should) when it comes to understanding - let alone enjoying - DC's world.

Your use of that line from the Scottish Play is superb! And, sadly, very appropriate. Let's hope for some solid (and simpler!) storytelling from DC sooner rather than later.
Thank you, Sir Dana. This fiasco simply feels epic in its nature and it immediately brought me to my favorite soliloquy from my favorite play by my favorite author. The line just hit me right after I finished reading the comic but, as you read, I had to get through nearly (I noticed that I left out that every word balloon feels disjointed from those that come before or after, like every word ballon is a separate thought) everything that bothered me about this issue and this series before summing it up with Macbeth's single most powerful expressions of dispair.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Lord Odin, welcome back to the forum!
Thanks Joe.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana P. View Post
You have summarized most eloquently that which is what I would guess many a DC reader feels. I've felt for a long time now that one has to put in a lot more effort than one normally would (should) when it comes to understanding - let alone enjoying - DC's world.
For the record, I was a Marvel Zombie up until maybe 5 years ago and I've been able to pick up and have a broad understanding of the workings of the DCU fairly quickly. To equate all of DC as doing what Morrison has done during Final Crisis is unfair.

Morrison has some cool ideas but his problem is tying everything together cohesively.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
For the record, I was a Marvel Zombie up until maybe 5 years ago and I've been able to pick up and have a broad understanding of the workings of the DCU fairly quickly. To equate all of DC as doing what Morrison has done during Final Crisis is unfair.

Morrison has some cool ideas but his problem is tying everything together cohesively.
Omar, I read both Marvel and DC. Probably a little more Marvel but I don't think of myself as a Marvel Zombie. If I'm reading your post properly you're saying not to level any criticisms of Morrison at DC as a whole. I agree with this point of view. And it may be that Morrison has some cool ideas but, that being the case, he should not be the writer. Let him get credit for plotting but let a better writer figure out how to make them work. Not being able to tie everything together cohesively is a pretty serious criticism, and I agree with it. If a writer can't do this then he needs to find another career. Otherwise, he should stick with plot development and let a real writer execute the ideas.

Last edited by wktf; 01-17-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post

WKTF's Review

...Ugh. For anyone interested in cleaning their pallets of Morrison and see how Batman REALLY should be written, please move on to my trade review, below.

Wktf’s Trade Review

Batman: Private Casebook HC
DC Comics
Written by: Paul Dini (with Peter Milligan)
Drawn by: Dustin Nguyen

Ever listen to those classic rock FM stations who extol that “it doesn’t have to be old to be a classic?” Such is the case with Paul Dini’s as yet still continuing Batman run on Detective Comics. Seriously, don’t you wish that all Batman stories could be like these? Or, at the very least, Grant Morrison would just pay attention to what’s been going on in Batman’s sister title over the last couple of years? ...
So, with all the ranting and railing over Morrison's work, anyone else read this Paul Dini Detective/Batman HC? Other thoughts on it beyond this review?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
So, with all the ranting and railing over Morrison's work, anyone else read this Paul Dini Detective/Batman HC? Other thoughts on it beyond this review?
I loved his run on Batman, I did not know they had a collection out until you mentioned it in your review. So I thank you
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote