Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #501
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Spidey is my favourite marvel character and while I enjoyed the movie it did leave me a little cold. The thing I appreciated the most about Wonder Woman was the choices they made to have her stand alone and not rely on other JL members. Maybe Spidey would have worked more for me if they had taken the same approach. Stark just had far too much influence on how Spider-man developed and Peters own genius was completely subdued as a result. I felt that the whole MCU in the background felt like one of those annoying product placements. It probably sounds harsh since it's been widely praised but for me Spidey 2 is the superior movie in almost every way. Hopefully those in Marvel handle him better in subsequent movies.
I loved the movie, but Spider-Man 2 is one of those anomalous movies before the Marvel Universe, like X-Men 2, it's near perfect.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:33 AM   #502
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Totally agree, my second viewing, I found myself looking at my watch in a few sections of the film.

While it's nice seeing Spidey in the MCU, I needed to see him as an independent person.

I was talking with the wife (who thankfully pretends to care) and I was saying that they could have easily beefed up Pete's intelligence by instead of unlocking the suits advanced features, building those features himself, adding web variations and a few other bits.

It was funny hearing the lethal and interrogation modes, but it always felt that Pete's natural intelligence was being held back.

I still loved the film, but it's an 8/10 on second viewing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Spidey is my favourite marvel character and while I enjoyed the movie it did leave me a little cold. The thing I appreciated the most about Wonder Woman was the choices they made to have her stand alone and not rely on other JL members. Maybe Spidey would have worked more for me if they had taken the same approach. Stark just had far too much influence on how Spider-man developed and Peters own genius was completely subdued as a result. I felt that the whole MCU in the background felt like one of those annoying product placements. It probably sounds harsh since it's been widely praised but for me Spidey 2 is the superior movie in almost every way. Hopefully those in Marvel handle him better in subsequent movies.
Totally gents. Even outside of Tony undermining his intelligence; Stark replacing Ben and May as Peter's moral compass is a slap in the face to the soul of the character IMHO. For me it was like Batman not being pushed by the death of the Waynes. Sure other things push Bruce forward later on, but wanting no one else to suffer a loss as he did is the soul of Batman. Hell even the maligned BvS showcased that beautifully in his introductory scene. Homecoming took the Spider-man version of that emotional core and bastardized it to maximize cross marketing potential IMHO.

At this point I would rather Spidey be a completely stand alone franchise in his solo films, with the odd call up to the Avengers for stuff like Civil War (the merits of that call up are equally debatable) in the MCU.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #503
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Just saw it a second time last night and still really liked it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #504
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I will get it on 4K and look forward to re-watching then. Just did not feel it deserved another viewing in the cinema.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote