Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
thechon
Doh!

Removing paint from resin statue

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently received a custom resin statue that has an excellent sculpt but a rushed paint job. Instead of trying to match tones and make corrections, I'd rather remove the paint job and prime and repaint it myself. It is about 20" tall.

Is Castrol SuperClean the best solution for this? I have acetone that I've used for other projects but I've never worked with resin (this is my first custom statue).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
thechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It makes a difference what kind of paint is on the statue...

If you have the Castrol SuperClean (I'm not familiar with it, but it seems to be a degreaser which is good for cleaning before painting but probably will not take paint off) you might try a drop in an inconspicuous are to see if it effects the paint or resin. Try the underside first to see if it damages the resin - if so it's no good.

Denatured alcohol is safe with the resin that I usually work with, but maybe not yours - there are many types - but my guess is it would work. It will remove a lot of paints, but not all.

I have also used lacquer thinner before which is more aggressive but will also have an effect on resin if left too long. It will soften the surface, but it hardens again as it dries. Just remember to test anything first before diving in.

If you decide it's out of your league, I paint for a living. I could clean and paint as you would like. PM me if you want help or have questions.

-Astounding
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
thechon
Doh!

Thanks for the quick reply. The paint used were automotive acrylics.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
kilowog75
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I've had a lot of success using CVS brand "professional nail polish remover" which is 100% acetone. One bottle (about $5) is more than enough to strip the paint off of a Bowen sized FS. Hope that helps.
kilowog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Astounding

Automotive acrylic lacquer, or automotive acrylic enamel?
I work with industrial lacquers, and used to use the automotive. If it's lacquer, the acetone should work, I think, as nail polish is essentially lacquer paint. I'm still not sure how it will effect your resin so move with care. You might find acetone at the hardware store cheaper per ounce since nail polish remover is considered a more specific product even though it is the same stuff. Funny how they do that.

Not sure how it will effect enamel paint. It will probably still do the trick, but the paint may wrinkle off and smear rather than just dissolve. Let me know how it works out.

I'm curious what your model is. Care to share it with us?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
thechon
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astounding View Post
Automotive acrylic lacquer, or automotive acrylic enamel?
I work with industrial lacquers, and used to use the automotive. If it's lacquer, the acetone should work, I think, as nail polish is essentially lacquer paint. I'm still not sure how it will effect your resin so move with care. You might find acetone at the hardware store cheaper per ounce since nail polish remover is considered a more specific product even though it is the same stuff. Funny how they do that.

Not sure how it will effect enamel paint. It will probably still do the trick, but the paint may wrinkle off and smear rather than just dissolve. Let me know how it works out.

I'm curious what your model is. Care to share it with us?
I just got back from Wal-Mart with Castrol Super Clean, I'm going to try it on the bottom of the boots.

As for my statue, here it is. From afar the paint app looks great, up close it has its' issues.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Astounding

Let us know how it comes out!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
thechon
Doh!

It worked like a charm.

I bought a tub large enough for the statue, and 4 gallons of Super Clean. I tested the Super Clean on the base of one of the statue's feet and there was no resin damage, so I put it in the tube and covered it with Super Clean.

After 20 minutes, there was a DRASTIC change, almost all of the paint had loosened. I used gloves and a toothbrush and began to gently scrub at the paint.

I let it soak for 2 hours and about 98% of the paint was gone. I let it dry overnight.

This is my first statue, so I don't know if this is normal. I found tons of tiny resin "balls" all over the statue. These were easily removed with a pick, and I used ultrafine sandpaper to smooth out rough edges. I then primed it with Duplicolor sandable filler primer.

Painting has begun, I'll update again when I'm finished.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

I have used this before also and it worked out well, sorry I didn't see this sooner I could have set your mind at ease. I liked this better than using easy off(which works just as well)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Astounding

This is good to know.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the repaint comes out.