Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 PM   #501
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
I heard complaints that black panther had too much red in his skin on Facebook. Even saw a collector of African origin telling xm that blacks aren't red. Seng also said he had complaints that storm had too much red going on in her skin in one of the radd titan video. I agree with Seng way too much red.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H8RsNU8Y1bk
In this video he says SLIGHTLY darker, slightly is said multiple times. This is like 6 shades darker.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #502
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Ok. So, I went in and used my photo editing program (nothing fancy) and took the original photos and just cranked the brightness up by 30 points. Here are the comparisons:

Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #503
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
In this video he says SLIGHTLY darker, slightly is said multiple times. This is like 6 shades darker.
Just my opinion What I've come to learn from xm is due to their simple color schemes and very little shading their colors really pop on camera and pics but when you get in hands they are drastically dulled down. It can be very deceiving not Xms fault of course and every camera and screen watched is going to be on a different setting but after seeing videos in the past then seeing in person I kind of know what to expect with coloring and can somewhat visualize what it will be. I don't think that storm was ever bright skin tone people are making it out to be.

Case and point scorpion video 2 i believe is what it will most likely look in hand to the naked eyes. Yes I'm aware camera lighting all play factor but just going by what I've seen on camera and what I've seen once in hands.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kla0SFHaJR0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qmxvf8Mw8g
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:25 AM   #504
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
I heard complaints that black panther had too much red in his skin on Facebook. Even saw a collector of African origin telling xm that blacks aren't red. Seng also said he had complaints that storm had too much red going on in her skin in one of the radd titan video. I agree with Seng way too much red.

I whole heartedly disagree, she looked perfect before...as seen in its sisko's video. In fact her tone was darker than halle berry's storm. XM seriously needs to rethink this decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzS2TwRfDmo
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:06 AM   #505
svoboda
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I'm holding out hope it's the lighting.

I said that she could be darker, or more mocha, but never as dark as TChalla. Her skin tone wasn't a deal breaker, just had too much red undertone for my liking. But if I have to pick between the two I will take prerepaint

They may have made her a little darker, but the lighting is killing this piece. Look at how much darker her boots are btwn the two shots. Dammit - somebody snap some more pics lol

It is not the lighting issue... saw her at SHCC, she is pretty dark... STCC had too much red, the one at SHCC is much much darker. I would prefer Storm just a tad darker and less red from the STCC version. I PO'd this as well and am a little bit disappointed with the color change and was hopeful that XM said they were going to make her slightly darker (in one of the youtube vids). Didn't expect it to be that much darker...
svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #506
Peedi
The Secret Six

Outside of those movies I don’t think African/African American brown skin Storm should ever be as light as interracial Halle Berry. My opinion. But fact is African and African American skin tones (Storm is both for anybody who didn’t know) widely vary. Maybe XM needs a bit more time to experiment with paints on that level.

One Google Image search of “Marvel Storm Jim Lee” shows that even from one single era Storm’s complexion changed wildly per colorist, just like any other character of color, or any other character, period.

Perhaps this Storm is a bit darker than Storm typically has appeared in the comics, but she has certainly appeared this dark in the comics and in licensed merchandise before, the proof is more than available.

Personally I would prefer just a tad lighter than their excellent T’Challa head (which is considerably darker than Sideshow’s T’Challa head). Reach a nice brown skin tone, not too red, definitely not too yellow. Storm isn’t light skinned but she is normally not very dark. Some middle ground will work well.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #507
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by svoboda View Post
It is not the lighting issue... saw her at SHCC, she is pretty dark... STCC had too much red, the one at SHCC is much much darker. I would prefer Storm just a tad darker and less red from the STCC version. I PO'd this as well and am a little bit disappointed with the color change and was hopeful that XM said they were going to make her slightly darker (in one of the youtube vids). Didn't expect it to be that much darker...
Great, so out fears are confirmed from someone who saw this version in person. I love how they show these statues, get everyone excited, then make tweaks that are usually horrible. Then XM fanatics claim nothing was changed.

At this point I'm starting to lose interest in anything XM does.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #508
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
What's the verdict on the other portrait in terms of how it looks although darker then originally showed? Honestly I don't think the majority care about that crazy laughing head. Serious head is where it's at.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #509
Demona
Martian Manhunter

You are all right, I was wrong, she is dramatically darker. I just wanted less red, not this.

Here, XM, here is a clear image of what skin color looks great for Ororo -- Angela Bassett.

If you'd like to compare skins tones versus TChalla, google "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" and look at Angela Bassett next to Taye Diggs.

Quote:

I never saw TChalla in the phase of "too much red" in his skin tone. The finished product has a great color and depth to the skin. BUT he is dark, as TChalla should be. Ororo has never been depicted to be as dark at TChalla.

Quote:
I'm kinda happy that I locked in Dark Phoenix over Storm. Because if XM doesn't fix her skin, I'm out. I can barely live with the white suit and slightly grey hair (depending on the light). But I can't have her skin color this dark too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Outside of those movies I don’t think African/African American brown skin Storm should ever be as light as interracial Halle Berry. My opinion. But fact is African and African American skin tones (Storm is both for anybody who didn’t know) widely vary. Maybe XM needs a bit more time to experiment with paints on that level.

One Google Image search of “Marvel Storm Jim Lee” shows that even from one single era Storm’s complexion changed wildly per colorist, just like any other character of color, or any other character, period.

Perhaps this Storm is a bit darker than Storm typically has appeared in the comics, but she has certainly appeared this dark in the comics and in licensed merchandise before, the proof is more than available.

Personally I would prefer just a tad lighter than their excellent T’Challa head (which is considerably darker than Sideshow’s T’Challa head). Reach a nice brown skin tone, not too red, definitely not too yellow. Storm isn’t light skinned but she is normally not very dark. Some middle ground will work well.
We all agree that something isn't right here But you're right, she should not be as light as Halle. Which I don't think the statue was even in the beginning. I'm not sure how XM goes from using less red to this....
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #510
zombiegalactus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I don't like this. I thought she was perfect before. So much so that I already preordered her. Wasn't cheap. Maybe it's my own fault for ordering before she was officially up but it's a bummer if they stick with the change.
zombiegalactus is offline   Reply With Quote