Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #10481
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Not sure that I agree. They run the risk of making edition sizes and exclusives irrelevant. They've done variants 2 years running for Spooktacular, but I wouldn't call it a standard practice for them throughout the year.
I understand the point, but do you really think they are even anywhere close to making edition sizes/exclusives "irrelevant?" Come on now....they're not even anywhere near that being a possibility. I mean it's not like they're producing 5k+ on much of anything they make at this point, I mean hell most of them are probably 3k and below total when you count both the exclusive and standard versions. And EX versions are usually what....1500'ish and below? Do you guys REALLY think it makes sense for them to make like 500 of a statue if they believe they can sell 1,000? Or would you rather they make 500 and charge hundreds of dollars more for the statue? Because that's the choice you're facing. They're not going going to sacrifice revenue.

And that brings up another conversation, are we even sure that things like that are a big priority to Sideshow? I can point to multiple examples of statues that have a pretty low ES (for Sideshow at least) recently and they're not selling, and I can also point to a statue that has a really high ES (Wolverine) and the EX is currently waitlisted.

I think the (hard) reality that some people need to accept one way or the other is that this hobby is slowly moving beyond the people who really harp on collectible value. Yes, those pieces will still exist. It will be, kind of as you reference there, more of the exception pieces that they produce. Sure they'll make some here and there that have really low ES but by and large they're going to make as many as they think they can sell because.....they want to sell them. And I really think what they sell for on eBay doesn't mean anywhere near as much to them as some of you would like to believe it does.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #10482
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post

I think the (hard) reality that some people need to accept one way or the other is that this hobby is slowly moving beyond the people who really harp on collectible value.
If you're right about that, then XM's MTO strategy is going to become more and more attractive to collectors. I'm already seeing multiple WTB posts on FB for Moon Knight and Scorpion.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #10483
pinkxter
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

It is a business.

I am revisiting Sideshow after a while, from the good old days when 1/6 scale was like $125 MSRP And even later when it was $300.

I agree prices have gone up significantly, they've realized opportunity to make larger profit margins. Sure, they've added staff/artists/etc. to improve the quality.

I didn't know they had started doing variant until few weeks ago. Since they do them and they sell out, I would be surprised if they did not do one more here.

Even if they make a edition size of 350 with variant, that's what another 1/2 million they make in sales for paint color changes.

Why wouldn't they do it, they are running a business. Once they've realized people will pay this much they won't go back

The bar has been set. This price point sold out before, that will be the new baseline norm with popular characters like Thanos

Just my opinion.
pinkxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #10484
Ginormousthumbs
Blue Falcon

Ginormousthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #10485
AC_808
Hercules

Hell, if SSC wants another cash grab, they don't have to do a variant of this. They just have to replicate the success by doing a similar character. Like duh ...do the same with Darkseid!!

And Darkseid doesn't have to be on a throne either. They just have to use his iconic pose. ToT was successful because they used Thanos' iconic pose on a throne ...and they stayed close to his classic comic costume (with embellishments, of course).
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #10486
SONICobra
Batman

im over thrones, and im sure they could duplicate thanos hype with a bad ass loki
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #10487
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
If you're right about that, then XM's MTO strategy is going to become more and more attractive to collectors. I'm already seeing multiple WTB posts on FB for Moon Knight and Scorpion.
I've seen a bunch of WTB for Storm too.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #10488
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Only thing is that was during the brief period where XM decided to do a 2 week window for POs. I'm not sure that will be quite the same situation now that XM has gone to the new PO scheme. XM originally went from what seemed like a few minute window to sell out their stuff to a few hour window to a 2 week window to now a 2 month window to PO their stuff. They probably realized they weren't selling enough with just a 2 week window. XM won't go over the 999 they set for their Marvel pieces but they need to sell enough to make money to keep the ball rolling and I have nothing against that at all. While it's nice to have low ES numbers, it's not so nice for the company if they have to struggle to make enough money to keep going. I'd rather companies like XM be able to sell a healthy amount of their products for them to keep being innovative, take risks on characters not previously seen, and not have to worry financially if they are going to be in business the next day. If that means they have to sell more or increase the ES, I fully support them.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #10489
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
im over thrones, and im sure they could duplicate thanos hype with a bad ass loki
OMG I want Loki so bad. You seen that custom fan art of Loki on Avengers throne? It's brilliant.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #10490
Comicbookguy
Hercules

It’s all about money so I would say they will do it. They don’t care about people who buys these and hoping it will retain value. They just want to maximize the money they can get in return. Really these should not be called collectibles. They are more like expensive decorations you can buy online. Anything that sells out and is worth something expect ss and p1 to release 1 or serveral more repaints. It’s just easy money with the molds already done. The only way they will stop doing this is if buyers stop buying. This is the same with the sideshow art prints. If it sells out they will reissue a 2nd run which is always the case. It’s all about the money and not collectors who wants a item to be worth something.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote