Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #1761
Python
Omega Red

I'm not sold on the new series yet. I think he makes an okay doctor actually, but the story lines have been pretty weak and unintelligent imo. Hated the first episode, they spent the whole hour or so almost making excuses for his age, as if that was necessary. If anything, the comment from 11 about being old would have sufficed. I guess todays audience have forgotten how it all started.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #1762
Babytoxie
Ghost

I've been watching most of these episodes with a mix of disappointment and annoyance, but "Mummy on The Orient Express" was actually pretty entertaining, despite the awful title. It definitely had me interested, though I wish we would have learned Gus' identity. Maybe that's something for later.

I thought that last week's episode, "Kill the Moon", was one of the worst this season. I mean, really...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #1763
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I'm not sold on the new series yet. I think he makes an okay doctor actually, but the story lines have been pretty weak and unintelligent imo. Hated the first episode, they spent the whole hour or so almost making excuses for his age, as if that was necessary. If anything, the comment from 11 about being old would have sufficed. I guess todays audience have forgotten how it all started.
With Tennant and Smith, Dr. Who has enjoyed some of its best ratings ever in the 15-30 women demographic. It was of huge concern and a big risk to pull in Capaldi, despite us old timers knowning that this makes sense. But it also makes sense that if they did not hit it head on in the first episode, it would have become a whisper issue. I thought they did a reasonably good job introducing this Doctor.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #1764
patrickwm68
The Flash

I having a hard time getting into this new season. Capaldi is fine, it's the stories that I'm not digging.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #1765
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz View Post
With Tennant and Smith, Dr. Who has enjoyed some of its best ratings ever in the 15-30 women demographic. It was of huge concern and a big risk to pull in Capaldi, despite us old timers knowning that this makes sense. But it also makes sense that if they did not hit it head on in the first episode, it would have become a whisper issue. I thought they did a reasonably good job introducing this Doctor.
Hey... I'm 28! haha, seriously though, I understand what you're saying, but even those who are relatively new to the series must understand the origins, the Doctor can be anybody, that is part of the fun. I get that they had to mention it, but they made far too much of an issue out of it for me, they seemed almost apologetic about his age.

I enjoyed this weeks episode with the mummy, best so far I think. But I agree with Babytoxi about last weeks on the moon.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #1766
Babytoxie
Ghost

"Flatline"

A damn good episode. Quite funny, also - that "Addams Family" moment will stick with me for some time, and the look on Clara's face when she pulled the sledgehammer out of her bag was priceless.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 AM   #1767
Python
Omega Red

I agree, quite a good one this week. On another note, I know there is a lot of complaining (what's new lol) But I like the theme tune for this series...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #1768
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Have to say I am quite enjoying this show. I've never watched DW but now plan on going back a few Doctors and catching up.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #1769
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I agree, quite a good one this week. On another note, I know there is a lot of complaining (what's new lol) But I like the theme tune for this series...
Same here, I felt that the opening theme for the last several seasons was getting overloaded with sound effects and such. It's nice to have a more basic, stripped-down theme. I also like the graphics, especially seeing The Doctor's eyes - it reminds me of the old intros.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #1770
Babytoxie
Ghost

"Dark Water"

I was worried that Missy and the whole afterlife angle would be a big bust; however, the writers really succeeded with this episode. I was able figure out what was going on with the skeletons in the tanks, but she was a big surprise.

Also, I've been rewatching this season, and while I still can't stand "Robot of Sherwood" and "Kill the Moon", I'm coming around on others.