Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #731
protector2814
Phoenix

Andre Norton's Daybreak 2250. Pretty sure this was my 1st Norton back when I was in my teens & it's still one I read every decade or so. This book was & still is pretty influential on the type of sci-fi & fantasy I like.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #732
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I’m reading “It” for the first time. About 150 pages into a nearly 1,200 page book. But it’s Stephen King so it’s a breezy read.

Love King’s work, have read a whole bunch of his books, and still find ‘Salem’s Lot and Pet Semetary two of the scariest books I’ve ever read. Looking forward to getting completely pulled into “It.”
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #733
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I’m reading “It” for the first time. About 150 pages into a nearly 1,200 page book. But it’s Stephen King so it’s a breezy read.

Love King’s work, have read a whole bunch of his books, and still find ‘Salem’s Lot and Pet Semetary two of the scariest books I’ve ever read. Looking forward to getting completely pulled into “It.”
How is it that you never read IT before?
I am a huge King fan too. Ever read Rose Madder? That is one of my favorites.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #734
washbony
Kindly Asked To Leave

Origin by Dan Brown
washbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #735
protector2814
Phoenix

It just dawned on me that, as a kid, my very favorite 4 sci-fi writers, the one's I read the most of & the ones who would influence my sci-fi buying & enjoyment habits for a life time were all women. Weird,'cause when I read them as a teen & early 20 something, I found all their books loaded with action, violence, weapons, ruined cities, etc...

Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, Tanith Lee & Ursula le Guin! Thank-you ladies!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #736
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
...Tanith Lee...
I finally got around to trying some Tanith Lee recently - the first three books of the Tales From The Flat Earth: Night's Master, Death's Master, and Delusion's Master. What a refreshing read!

I am wondering if this series was an influence on Neil Gaiman's Sandman & The Endless. Lee's "family" of embodiments of natural forces, their interactions with mortals and each other, and even the storytelling style... it all seems too similar to be a simple coincidence. Whatever the case, I'll be trying more of her work. Any recommendations?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #737
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Just Finished Star wars Thrawn.... Loved it! I need to go back and read the Thrawn Trilogy now.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #738
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I had/have no clue as to where to start with Kane ... but, plan on diving in. Birthday's coming up, so I'm going to ask my wife for one of the more expensive, inclusive volumes. Very interesting for you both to bring up Elric. TNovac, I simply must read the meeting of these two.
Just curious what you thought of the Kane series or if you read them? I am really hoping you read more than "Dark Crusade" as IMO that is the weakest of his books.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #739
protector2814
Phoenix

BT - Try Storm Lord by Tanith Lee. You'll be in familiar territory w/ this one (sword 'n sorcery) but immersed in her unique take on the genre.

TNovak - No, I ended & began w/ Dark Crusade. As you noted, it probably wasn't a good place to start w/ this character. I have Wagner's Darkness Weaves in my shopping cart on Amazon, but it's $60 & I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been ramping up my Sword & Sorcery collecting & now have well over 150 books including Wagner's Conan, which I really liked. Adams' Horseclan novels, Gardner Fox' stuff, Peter Saxon's Guardians series, Offutt's Lord Barbarian & his other s&s works. I know I need to really tackle Kane & I keep looking in 2nd hand shops for his books, but they're red hot right now.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #740
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
BT - Try Storm Lord by Tanith Lee. You'll be in familiar territory w/ this one (sword 'n sorcery) but immersed in her unique take on the genre.

TNovak - No, I ended & began w/ Dark Crusade. As you noted, it probably wasn't a good place to start w/ this character. I have Wagner's Darkness Weaves in my shopping cart on Amazon, but it's $60 & I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been ramping up my Sword & Sorcery collecting & now have well over 150 books including Wagner's Conan, which I really liked. Adams' Horseclan novels, Gardner Fox' stuff, Peter Saxon's Guardians series, Offutt's Lord Barbarian & his other s&s works. I know I need to really tackle Kane & I keep looking in 2nd hand shops for his books, but they're red hot right now.
Oh man you really should start with the short stories, you will be much happier I think if you do. You can usually get "nigthwinds" and "death angel's shadow" in paperback pretty cheap on ebay. I love the short stories of Kane, the 3 novels are ok but not nearly as good IMO. I definitely wouldn't pay $60 for Darkness Weaves. I would look on ebay for those short story books or even used PB of Darkness Weaves and Bloodstone.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote