Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #21
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
im really looking forward to this as Robert Eggers is one of my favorite directors right now, but hes kind of like a Stanley Kubrick visionary type director, I think he works better without studio interference, which is probably why the the VVitch and the Lighthouse were so incredible, they were both for A24 studios which is great for letting the directors tell the stories they want, but the Northman is his first "big budget" movie and the first movie hes made outside A24 so I feared there would be studio interference which could be a really bad thing for a director such as Robert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Bit of both...hard to say why people like things.

It definitely isn't a mainstream film if that's what you mean. I think the performances are great and if the barrier is free I think it is worth seeing. Up to anyone ultimately if they feel something wouldn't be their taste.

Was going to post exactly these sentiments before seeing these posts. Couldn't have said it better.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:44 PM   #22
protector2814
Phoenix

Just got back. Don't worry, no spoilers. I'll just say that I loved it! It was absolutely gorgeous to look at. Viscous at times. & Eggers has to have read an awful lot of R. Howard's Conan because it really feels like a Conan tale on more than one occasion.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:38 PM   #23
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Just got back. Don't worry, no spoilers. I'll just say that I loved it! It was absolutely gorgeous to look at. Viscous at times. & Eggers has to have read an awful lot of R. Howard's Conan because it really feels like a Conan tale on more than one occasion.
It?s based on a Scandinavian story that served as the inspiration for Hamlet. I grew up hearing that story many times.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #24
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
He's a HUGE Canon fan, I just saw him in an interview, so makes sense.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #25
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I will probably see the film on Saturday at 06:15 pm sesion. I'm glad i learned at the last munite that it is an Eggers film. I Really really liked The VVitch as an art film. Lets see what he did with a big budget even though it really botheres me that Eggers' creative freedom on the film was limited...
The Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:38 AM   #26
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
It?s based on a Scandinavian story that served as the inspiration for Hamlet. I grew up hearing that story many times.

Absolutely. You see a lot of Norse & classical heroic references as well. There's one scene I can't wait to discuss eventually.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #27
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

The film was fine. A legend that inspired Hamlet. Since it is an Eggers film, i looked for depth in The Film... And only depth i noticed was the ritual scene with Willem Dafoe.

There was a line there that they chant something like ''let me be wise enough to know that i am a fool.'' or something like that. I just saw the film once... cut me some slack xD

Now, this film line is a direct nod to Socrates' philosophy (yes, your fellow statue collector boy read some Plato until his brain melted from his ears... Yes, it was a hard to read text) That line from The Film is about ''to know that you know nothing is the highest wisdom.'' words of Socrates. This is the foundation of Socrates' teachings and also a paradox.

I know it is kind of confusing, wisdom can't be transfered unlike knowledge. If you really want to know, you should read Plato for yourself. Other than The Ritual with Dafoe, nothing was note worthy, if you ask me. May be this is the result of the Studio limiting Eggers creative freedom. I am not sure.
The Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #28
Bottled_Water
Birdman

Copied/pasted from the "rate the last movie you saw" topic.

"The Northman. I'd describe it as watching a Viking theater play (it was after all the inspiration for Hamlet). I personally liked it, especially some of the surreal aspects, but I can't help but feel like it was holding back. Maybe I expected it to be weirder. Overall I thought it was a unique revenge tale, shot beautifully, that had a good blend of real and surreal."

To add to that, I think the film would have benefited from some more world building. It felt a tad isolated. I also think we needed more time with Amleth's parents/village in the beginning, as that may have made the betrayal and loss more impactful. Still enjoy the movie though.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #29
Augen
Metal Men

From a technical perspective I thought it was spectacular.

The shot composition, the camera work, lighting, music, acting, everything felt exactly what it needed to be.

This is an indy film with a big budget, and I can see why general audience leaves deeply divided.

I thought it was brilliant and really immersed me in ninth century Nordic head scape. Brutal, stark, and unrelenting. I had a trip to Iceland cancelled due to the pandemic, and this makes me want to try again even more.

Not for everyone, but for those that find beauty in it I think this is film making designed for their sensibilities.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #30
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
From a technical perspective I thought it was spectacular.

The shot composition, the camera work, lighting, music, acting, everything felt exactly what it needed to be.

This is an indy film with a big budget, and I can see why general audience leaves deeply divided.

I thought it was brilliant and really immersed me in ninth century Nordic head scape. Brutal, stark, and unrelenting. I had a trip to Iceland cancelled due to the pandemic, and this makes me want to try again even more.

Not for everyone, but for those that find beauty in it I think this is film making designed for their sensibilities.
You're going to love Iceland. If you can, book trip to Norway and see the fjords, it's heaven basically.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote