Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #31
SDguy

Cash in hand is a misnomer here. If something goes wrong ebay can just as easily pull money from your bank account (if funds were already transferred) as they can simply not transfer the funds. I don't see any difference between shipping an item before or after your funds have been transferred to your bank.

Side note: I was under the impression the transfer Happens periodically, regardless of when items actually sold. But I admit I haven't really been tracking that.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #32
risingstar
Jedi Order

As a general rule, I think people should have the cash in hand before shipping out items. Making people wait a week to get their cash is not the ideal way of doing things. When you buy something from Amazon or whatever, do you think they would send the item to you before having the cash in hand or be made to wait a week for it? Ebay seems to be one of those places where they expect you to ship out expensive items prior to receiving your money.

I realize the cash is coming my way. I am simply not a fan of not being able to immediately access my money.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #33
Gravitron
Fantastic Four

I despise the new system Ebay has. They raised fees,take fees out immediately instead of at the end of the cycle and make things harder by making the selling profile more confusing. I didn't even get an email update when my item sold..so I had no idea.

Then they pull this delayed payment transfer to the bank BS. I wish they had a competitor to squash their monopoly on the online auction market.
Gravitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #34
SherlockShinaba
Doh!

These systems have a lot of weak places that must be secured. It is all very well designing a secure payment system. Yet, suppose a malicious party gains access to your computer and has access to your payment details. In that case, they can create a payment request in the form of a virus or trojan horse. As soon as you have accepted a payment from a user whose details you know, you got no chance to escape. All these systems must implement an aml kyc that will secure the platform without scammers near.
SherlockShinaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #35
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I just sold a statue in EBay and it was my fault for not fully reading but there was a 12.5% fee from EBay which was around $33. Then shipping (sold the Shazam Tweeterhead statue) which was rather large and this was the real kick in the crotch - shipping was over $90. Now I was shipping it from Pittsburgh to CA. I was thinking about selling a few other statues but I do not think it would be worth it. And if I do I think I will look into shipping either UPS or FedEx.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #36
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Sadly they also charge the 12.5% fee on shipping charges as well. Even when you buy the shipping label right through them so they know that wasn’t part of any profit.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #37
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracomputer.1 View Post
Sadly they also charge the 12.5% fee on shipping charges as well. Even when you buy the shipping label right through them so they know that wasn’t part of any profit.
I am not a huge eBay fan but in their defense, this is something I wasn't too offended by. The reason they went to this is because when the fees were just on the item, folks were (wisely) purposefully reducing the item to a low price so they wouldn't have to pay a lot of fees. They would then make up what they lost in the price by marking up the shipping fees. For example, a person would charge $5 for an item which would normally sell for $100 and then charge $100 to ship it (so they get their money back and they would only have to pay the fees on the $5, not the $100).
Iko Iko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #38
SDguy

I just include a handling fee in the listing to cover the fee on the shipping label, since it's especially ----ty for Ebay to charge a fee on a label I bought through them so they know I'm not making any money on the label. They are just too lazy to separate out people who buy labels through them, vs those that just charge whatever and ship with their own resources.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:52 AM   #39
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
I am not a huge eBay fan but in their defense, this is something I wasn't too offended by. The reason they went to this is because when the fees were just on the item, folks were (wisely) purposefully reducing the item to a low price so they wouldn't have to pay a lot of fees. They would then make up what they lost in the price by marking up the shipping fees. For example, a person would charge $5 for an item which would normally sell for $100 and then charge $100 to ship it (so they get their money back and they would only have to pay the fees on the $5, not the $100).
If I bought the label through them then they shouldn’t be charging me for anything on it. There is no defense for this they are just screwing their sellers to make a buck. There is no way to overcharge for the label if bought through them as they charge you right there.
I do know what you mean though as I seen things for 1 cent and 150 for shipping…but they didn’t buy the label through eBay. I can see them charging if you don’t and get why.

Last edited by extracomputer.1; 10-27-2021 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote