Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #51
Mister Ski
The Avengers

I am really liking this series so far. HoX and PoX were really well done. The first two ongoing titles (X-Men and Marauders) continue right where PoX #6 leaves off. So many mysteries going on here. I haven't been this excited about the X-Men in about 30 years. Hickman can be an acquired taste, but I really dig it. The X-Men are finally relevant again!
Mister Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:54 AM   #52
Y3E
Gen 13

HoX and PoX was very interesting. X-men stories have sucked for a long time and this has made me want to read it again. I am curious to see if these are the real X-Men.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #53
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

As much as I loved HoX/PoX, this is where I jump off from buying the X-books regularly. I'll most likely read Dawn of X later as collected hardcovers or digitally, but after 40 years, it's time for me to retire from getting individual hard copies every week.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #54
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Haven’t read a single page of this run. Would fans of the mid-late 80’s X-Men like this?
I was a X-Men child starting in the mid-90s and then went back into the 80s books. I really enjoyed it. Very much so. I like the mix with future and past. Hickman's set of books really showed respect for the franchise. And THAT is what I appreciate above all else.

Comparing it to Dark Phoenix Saga is a bold statement. It's great, but I don't know if it's that great. I think it's a stand-alone in how it propels the franchise forward.

It reminded me of HBO's Westworld storytelling, just with X-Men.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #55
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I was a X-Men child starting in the mid-90s and then went back into the 80s books. I really enjoyed it. Very much so. I like the mix with future and past. Hickman's set of books really showed respect for the franchise. And THAT is what I appreciate above all else.

Comparing it to Dark Phoenix Saga is a bold statement. It's great, but I don't know if it's that great. I think it's a stand-alone in how it propels the franchise forward.

It reminded me of HBO's Westworld storytelling, just with X-Men.
Ok, good enough for me. I'll wait for the hardcover collection but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #56
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

The first issues of all the Dawn of X titles will also be collected into a TPB in February.

https://www.newsarama.com/47519-dawn...ut-titles.html

Since I don't buy monthlies anymore, I'll most likely get this instead.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #57
Peedi
The Secret Six

Hickman planted a lot of storytelling seeds in HoX/PoX to unfold over his run. What’s interesting is with all of the second issues out now it appears Hickman won’t be tackling all of his ideas in the main X-Men book. X-Force is doing some heavy lifting right now. Even Fallen Angels I don’t think people realize how it’s playing directly into ideas Hickman set up, using the artificial machine evolution idea. Excalibur to a smaller extent with its focus on magic but that will tie Apocalypse back into what Hickman is doing.

I’m not enjoying Marauders as much but it does have a quarter of the Mutant Council members in it. Still it doesn’t feel as essential. New Mutants doesn’t feel as essential either but Hickman used the Shi’Ar throughout his FF and Avengers runs and I think what will happen was teased on a PoX variant cover...

Still, the teased plots I’m most interested in are in no particular order:
1. Hickman fully addressing the Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine thing. Enough hints, be bold, just show and tell what it is you’re doing with them.
2. Wakanda was in red font on the list of Nations not supporting the treaty. Everything in red font was emphasized for importance during HoX/PoX. Hickman has done a lot with Black Panther between his FF run and Secret Avengers/Infinity. I’m hoping there won’t be a Wakanda/Mutant War and that something of more significance is being built towards.
3. “Make more mutants”...aside from the resurrections, curious how this will play out. It’s one of their laws so there has to be more to it than that.
4. The Sinister secrets...the original Horseman have been teased several times, there was a reference to what seems to be Madelyn Prior? A reference to more Summers brothers...a lot of stuff there
4. And this tidbit:

Krakoa is infected with the TO virus. Or something like that. Maybe that’s why Mondo finds it unpleasant to face with Krakoa? Maybe why Black Tom has a hard time? This may tie into the whole machine enemy idea and eventually the Phallanx. Also the fact of how much do they know about Krakoa anywaY? It was originally an enemy, and it was launched into outer space by Polaris in Giant Size X-Men #1. Wolverine and the X-Men used the mini Krakoa which I figured is the Krakoa that turned into this island, but then there’s the whole history with Apocalypse thing and splitting of the island into two parts...either I missed reading something or there’s conflicting retcons.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #58
Mister H
Green Goblin

Where the heck is Brian Braddock? I know his sister is taking over as Captain Britain. Hopefully it won’t be for long.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #59
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Where the heck is Brian Braddock? I know his sister is taking over as Captain Britain. Hopefully it won’t be for long.
You see him in the first few pages of Excalibur #1.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #60
Peedi
The Secret Six

I think Betsy will be Captain Britain and Kwannon will be Psylocke for at least as long as this era of X-Men is.

I’m glad they haven’t killed Brian. Hopefully even if he won’t be CB for the foreseeable future they don’t consider him unnecessary, take the easy route and just kill him off. His wife died back in HoM and was brought back, killing characters is just dumb at this point.

Speaking of killing characters, the currently dead Professor X is on the cover of Marauders #3 doing somebody else’s resurrection. Pretty cool cover with the Marauders surrounding the resurrectee, it must be somebody dangerous. Again, comic book deaths are pointless.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote