Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 01-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #111
risingstar
Jedi Order

These lesser expensive pieces can be brutal, which is a shame, because Karen Plinko sculpted the awesome Superman Forever statue.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #112
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josado View Post
oh. I thought I made a good post. lol
You did, no worries. (It's $27.20 now.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #113
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
These lesser expensive pieces can be brutal, which is a shame, because Karen Plinko sculpted the awesome Superman Forever statue.
So true. Many of DC products are stupendous pieces of art. Unfortunately, they are constantly overlooked by the most hardcore statue collectors. Much of it has to do with past QC issues, large edition sizes, reissues, high inventory and unfinished lines. It is a shame because there is a lot of value to be had for those interested on quality over rarity. For those looking to spruce up their collections without breaking the bank.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #114
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
So true. Many of DC products are stupendous pieces of art. Unfortunately, they are constantly overlooked by the most hardcore statue collectors. Much of it has to do with past QC issues, large edition sizes, reissues, high inventory and unfinished lines. It is a shame because there is a lot of value to be had for those interested on quality over rarity. For those looking to spruce up their collections without breaking the bank.
Agreed! Glad I'm not an ES freak. If I like a statue, I want it..simple as that. My interest is not measured in ES numbers.
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #115
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Their QC issues have only grown worse. I collect figures and statues from just about every one of their lines. Not until last year did I outright stop trying to acquire certain pieces (Harley's Holiday) or settle for abysmal ones (Bombshells Batwoman) simply because it was next to impossible to find decent copies.

I feel like their past issues during the Direct days were a result of attempting to appeal to hardcore collectors' criteria, such as statues shipping in one solid piece, which ended up breaking regardless of how good the packaging was. Now they've wisely forgone that in favor of using magnetized parts and metal rods/support pegs, but they use seemingly careless factories and/production methods on the artistic side of things. The translucent and colorcast parts they replaced painted skin tones and costumes with works wonders on cartoony statues (or one larger scale piece produced by other companies) but "flattens" a lot of amazing sculpts in natural or bright lighting that should showcase all the detail.

The "hand-painted" part of the description is basically just the cel-shaded outlines on the Designer Series statues, for example, and the "cold-cast porcelain" is virtually assembly line puzzle pieces that are sloppily glued together. That said, when you get a good copy, or even a mediocre one depending on how much you love the design, they can be real treasures.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #116
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Their QC issues have only grown worse. I collect figures and statues from just about every one of their lines. Not until last year did I outright stop trying to acquire certain pieces (Harley's Holiday) or settle for abysmal ones (Bombshells Batwoman) simply because it was next to impossible to find decent copies.

I feel like their past issues during the Direct days were a result of attempting to appeal to hardcore collectors' criteria, such as statues shipping in one solid piece, which ended up breaking regardless of how good the packaging was. Now they've wisely forgone that in favor of using magnetized parts and metal rods/support pegs, but they use seemingly careless factories and/production methods on the artistic side of things. The translucent and colorcast parts they replaced painted skin tones and costumes with works wonders on cartoony statues (or one larger scale piece produced by other companies) but "flattens" a lot of amazing sculpts in natural or bright lighting that should showcase all the detail.

The "hand-painted" part of the description is basically just the cel-shaded outlines on the Designer Series statues, for example, and the "cold-cast porcelain" is virtually assembly line puzzle pieces that are sloppily glued together. That said, when you get a good copy, or even a mediocre one depending on how much you love the design, they can be real treasures.
Can you expand on this? I was curious about the Bombshells Batwoman, but second hand market she is generally well above MSRP so hesitant to buy her.

What issues came up?
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #117
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Can you expand on this? I was curious about the Bombshells Batwoman, but second hand market she is generally well above MSRP so hesitant to buy her.

What issues came up?
http://batgirl1967.blogspot.com/2016...ue-review.html
Old 01-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #118
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

What issues came up?
Oh man, that is the one piece in the line you 100% need to see out-of-the-box shots of before buying. She's actually my favorite concept of the line but, like the Harley's Holiday, has a lot of different issues that you'll be fortunate to end up with just one.

The one I settled for has red paint drip on her forearms, a visible gap where the two hair pieces meet (you can see the skin tone underneath, like a bald spot) and excess paint between the breasts. I only kept it because it doesn't have issues others have had with the bat symbols being sloppy and the face turned out pretty stellar (one of Tim Miller's best portraits IMO.) She only has one displayable angle, which sucks for a 3D sculpture, but it works for my shelf.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #119
Augen
Metal Men

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Oh man, that is the one piece in the line you 100% need to see out-of-the-box shots of before buying. She's actually my favorite concept of the line but, like the Harley's Holiday, has a lot of different issues that you'll be fortunate to end up with just one.

The one I settled for has red paint drip on her forearms, a visible gap where the two hair pieces meet (you can see the skin tone underneath, like a bald spot) and excess paint between the breasts. I only kept it because it doesn't have issues others have had with the bat symbols being sloppy and the face turned out pretty stellar (one of Tim Miller's best portraits IMO.) She only has one displayable angle, which sucks for a 3D sculpture, but it works for my shelf.
Wow.

Sorry for you both having so many issues with her. I'm now surprised how many people are asking 1.5-2x MSRP for her these days given these problems. I'll pass on her unless I can see it in person and inspect it first. Thank you for the heads up.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #120
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Wow.

Sorry for you both having so many issues with her. I'm now surprised how many people are asking 1.5-2x MSRP for her these days given these problems. I'll pass on her unless I can see it in person and inspect it first. Thank you for the heads up.
You feel really special, tho, when you find a decent one.