Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

View Poll Results: XM and Prime-1 bases getting too big?
Yes- I think the bases are getting too big. I'm running out of space. 37 46.25%
No- don't mess with it. Who needs space. Just sell a damn statue to so you can buy more. 43 53.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #21
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
I voted no...but understand and am sympathetic to the space issue for some.

However, in art, I feel there is no room for compromising. If a person can afford it and has the room for it...they will get it.

There is no possible way for instance that you can have a small base for Optimus Prime...no way. He is an action pose, yet the base is still smaller than many Prime 1 bases...especially their TF Bayformer stuff. XM Hulkbuster for instance appears to be almost twice the size of Optimus Prime's base.

I think XM has a great mixture of small to big bases. Most lay in the medium size range.

Ultimately, I want bases that best fit the character or at least makes sense for them. Spiderman's base for instance, makes sense for that concept. He is escaping and dodging different villains. Makes sense.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #22
It's Sisko
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
The XM base tells a story and sometimes it need more space.
I know space issues are a problem for people, but this sums up my feelings exactly. I love statues that tell a story, and for me XM does that better than anyone. I wouldn't want that to be compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB380 View Post
I saw this thread and thought of Namor.
Namor's base is freaking spectacular in person. I was completely blown away at STGCC. That said, I can understand how he would be difficult for people to display. But I'll make space because he was too good to pass on. Definitely one of my favourite bases ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I voted no...but understand and am sympathetic to the space issue for some.

However, in art, I feel there is no room for compromising. If a person can afford it and has the room for it...they will get it.

There is no possible way for instance that you can have a small base for Optimus Prime...no way. He is an action pose, yet the base is still smaller than many Prime 1 bases...especially their TF Bayformer stuff. XM Hulkbuster for instance appears to be almost twice the size of Optimus Prime's base.

I think XM has a great mixture of small to big bases. Most lay in the medium size range.

Ultimately, I want bases that best fit the character or at least makes sense for them. Spiderman's base for instance, makes sense for that concept. He is escaping and dodging different villains. Makes sense.
Yep, these are my feelings also. I also agree that XM strikes a good balance between big and medium/small bases. Just scrolling through their last few PO's, only Namor and Optimus have big bases. Vemon, Cable, Classic Iron Man, Beta Ray Bill, Iron Fist all have reasonable bases. Electro has a medium sized base that fits him perfectly (IMO of course). I think all those bases were appropriate to the character.
It's Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #23
Vince_be
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I think XM have a perfect jauge between the base and the character in size and style. As others says, the whole statue tells a story including the base so for XM it's very important to keep this direction. Other companies like IS i think have the same point of view regarding the base (cfr IS Spiderman). For P1 i don't know cause they're doing a lot of 1/3 museum pose pieces so the size/style of the base is less important IMO.
Vince_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I think they work, as long as they work. Some bases are bigger than others. Like the Namor base looks huge - but works. The Beta Ray Bill base does not look so huge - but works.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

I've said this over an over, and was previously feeling like it was just me thinking this about the bases sizes. Glad to see I'm no longer alone. It's gotten totally out of hand now to the point where you don't even know where the focal point of the statue is anymore. One look at Berserk or Guyver for instance and I don't even know where to look. Too busy, I want my focal points to be that of the character, not it's surroundings.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #26
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

I think the bases fit the characters and tell a story. I dont see characters getting lost in the base. Such as Black Panther, Batman and Cable to name a few. I dont think Spiderman gets lost in his base, he is swinging around a building...rather than being attached to a wall, he would be displayed with the building behind him. Even Namor is highlighted first before the Octopus. without that Octopus...people would be like there is an Elf swimming in the water...?? The Octopus turns a boring character into an amazing one. But even Mags, Batman and Cable bases are much bigger than SSC bases. Maybe that is the smart thing that SSC does that it allows for smaller bases so displaying is easier. But XM has never wanted to limit their art.

But I can feel collectors pain, when the bases become too large it becomes difficult to display and to collect more as space is at a premium. I do agree that some bases seem too big for no reason. Spider-Gwen did not need a whole building to jump off, I am glad they re-vamped that. Magdelana...I dont think needs that angel in the background.

On average I think the bases are fine the way they are done. SSC and Prime 1 both do great Museum poses for people who are feeling the crunch.
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #27
Gollum
The Herculoids

Statues are a piece of art you can't make short cuts

Statues are telling a story if it's not it's not worth buying

If the base is boring like the new Sideshow Star Wars line it effects the rest of the statue

The more exciting and dynamic the base the better

I love the XM bases because of this reason

Prime1 bases are so alike some prefer that which is ok

Prime1 Batman bases are too alike but there are still awesome statues

just wish the bases were a little different like XM with there X Men bases

Phoenix,Wolverine,Magneto and now Cable
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Namors base is out of this world I bet every Aquaman fan out there is mad with envy on it! So glad I got this one
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #29
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrapro1 View Post
Namors base is out of this world I bet every Aquaman fan out there is mad with envy on it! So glad I got this one
Yep! The Sideshow Aquaman effort looks so bad compared to this.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #30
ChaFoShizzle
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I love epic bases, and I feel it tells a story. I love that about XM pieces, there's a narrative being told than just a stationary statue. It draws me in and it gives the piece so much added presence. On the flip side, space is ----- and this just drives the price of the statue even more. So I totally understand both sides. But having an epic base is part of the XM trademark. There are other companies out there putting out a museum pose with a simple base, nobody is forcing anyone to buy XM. We as collectors have a ton of choices these days so I don't get why some people get so harped up about a certain company's design philosophies. I mean, if the big base bothers you then don't buy.
ChaFoShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote