Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #51
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
-1 on this thread...

No one wants to be called a "sheep" which is going to automatically steer the convo a certain way. Same reason questionnaires can be unreliable since one can sway the outcome based on how the question is asked.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sheep
WE ARE CUTE

AND WE ARE MANY
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #52
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #53
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
"Buying into the hype" is a better example.

I buy what I like/want. I use convention videos and early pictures posted here to get attention on a product. In the end I make the final decision. I was here a lot longer then I post and learned about this hobby from you guys, not pro's or Youtubers. (all of your opinions and collecting tips deserve a big thank you) I've gone through all the motions new collectors go through. Money, space, wife eye rolling and lots of regret. This has finally shaped what I want from this hobby. I watch Neatmint's, Sisco's, DGK's (now ) & Batman Collectors videos. Shoo and Grumpybear are invaluable here when it comes to links and pictures and I've made some lasting connections with shop owners like Todd and Shane. I learn stuff and get entertained at the same time.
This perspective is similar to mine. I learned a ton about the hobby from this forum and things expanded in a major way with the statue groups on FB.

I know pretty much exactly what I like, want, and what would work for my collection. I enjoy pictures, videos, reviews, comments, and conversation with everyone in the hobby no matter their supposed/perceived status or experience within the hobby.

I'll watch many videos from a variety of YouTubers, large and small... mostly for the entertainment value along with supporting passionate collectors willing to give back to the community with their time and perspective. Many times it's pieces I don't want or like, but know they won't fit in my collection. I can enjoy the artistry through them.

If it's a piece I'm considering, I appreciate the different perspectives and views... different lighting, different angles, different comparisons, live measurements (because what's posted on company sites are usually crap), etc. These are all super helpful to determine if I'll buy a piece, when I buy a piece, or if I should look towards a similar but different piece instead.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #54
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Lots of talk in this thread about youtubers getting free statues, so I thought I'd better chime in about my channel, Secret Sanctuary. I have 110 videos on the channel, and have received exactly 1 free statue, the Tweeterhead Green Lantern production sample that I recently reviewed. Chad told me to keep it or give it away. I will not be selling it.

As for revenue, I started the channel with no intention of monetizing it. It was just a fun new hobby, not a livelihood. That changed last July when my SDCC Sideshow booth tour video blew up. I posted it on preview night(Wednesday), and I think by Sunday it had something like 100K views. So I started thinking about the high cost of attending the convention(well over $1000 for the hotel alone) and decided that maybe I was being a blithering idiot by not recouping some of those costs by monetizing the channel. So, I did so the Monday after the convention. The channel now has over 10K subscribers, but trust me, the revenue is meager. Granted, I don't upload near as many videos as some other channels, but the revenue is so small that, frankly, I rarely even look at it anymore. And that's totally fine. The channel remains a fun hobby, and I'm happy to keep it that way.
Thank you for posting this and thank you for your reviews! Your candor is greatly appreciated!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #55
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
WE ARE CUTE

AND WE ARE MANY
lol...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #56
stevo84
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I buy what I like but I also watch the reviews to see the statues better than a picture I make my own choices and only go for characters that I like. I won't buy other characters just to complete a line of characters etc and I am happy with that and this is what counts for me.
stevo84 is offline   Reply With Quote