Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #251
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

There was only 3 copies where I went at Bb today. I love steelbook cases. Wish all 3D blu ray are steelbook.

The only thing I hate about Exclusive was BB Canada only had Dr Strange on steelbook with no 3D which I had to buy another 3D copy to get. Whereas BB USA had 3D with there SB.

And Deadpool SB which was all sold out before it hit the stores. I had to pay double on eBay.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #252
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I picked my copy up from BB after work. I bought the steel book and they had about 20 copies behind the order pickup counter. I heard one of the guys telling someone on the floor that they were sold out though. Guess everyone just pre-ordered theirs. I ordered mine just last night.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #253
ratchet
Mandarin

Picked up the Target Exclusive. Love the steelbook but didn't like the art for it so I passed.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #254
Python
Omega Red

I don't do cinemas as I simply can't tolerate the crunching of popcorn etc. So I've made the unbearable wait and finally got the Blu ray yesterday.

The first thing I'll say is that the CGI Characters are atrocious! There's no better way to ruin the immersion of a live action movie imo than to add a cgi character among real people and scenery. Just don't put Tarkin in, he wasn't really necessary, Nor was Leia and I really hope Disney just stop doing this.

As for the actual movie, I was underwhelmed tbh, I don't know if it's waiting so long and hearing so much hype that gave me expectations too great, but I was bored for large parts of it. I love a good war film, so I was excited for the concept and looking forward to seeing Star Wars from a grittier perspective. But it was all just so dull and the characters had no real emotions, It was just wooden. I actually liked Donnie Yen although he didn't really fit in with the tone of the movie. Plus after his cool intro beating down a few Storm troopers (what does their armour even do ) He never really did much again so It would have been nice to see more of that.

Cut to the action parts and that was mostly good, I enjoyed a lot of that. I also enjoyed Vaders parts although James Earl Jones clearly older voice was distracting and weird. But the movie in general left me scratching my head and struggling to care for large parts. I think TFA was hugely overrated, but none the less I still enjoyed it and wanted to watch it again right after my first viewing. I have no desire to watch Rogue 1 again tbh, but I probably will do in a few weeks just to see if I am being too harsh on it.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #255
Gruson
Suicide Squad

I actually did not care for this movie at all, even after a second viewing. The last 5 minutes is SUPER EPIC but as for the new cast, yawn. I cannot even tell you one of their names...they just did not work well and are not memorable at all.

I personally liked the CG Tarkin and Leia, they worked for me and were a nice surprise since I didn't care for the rest of the movie.

TFA felt more like Star Wars to me and had memorable new characters for sure.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #256
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I don't do cinemas as I simply can't tolerate the crunching of popcorn etc. So I've made the unbearable wait and finally got the Blu ray yesterday.

The first thing I'll say is that the CGI Characters are atrocious! There's no better way to ruin the immersion of a live action movie imo than to add a cgi character among real people and scenery. Just don't put Tarkin in, he wasn't really necessary, Nor was Leia and I really hope Disney just stop doing this.

As for the actual movie, I was underwhelmed tbh, I don't know if it's waiting so long and hearing so much hype that gave me expectations too great, but I was bored for large parts of it. I love a good war film, so I was excited for the concept and looking forward to seeing Star Wars from a grittier perspective. But it was all just so dull and the characters had no real emotions, It was just wooden. I actually liked Donnie Yen although he didn't really fit in with the tone of the movie. Plus after his cool intro beating down a few Storm troopers (what does their armour even do ) He never really did much again so It would have been nice to see more of that.

Cut to the action parts and that was mostly good, I enjoyed a lot of that. I also enjoyed Vaders parts although James Earl Jones clearly older voice was distracting and weird. But the movie in general left me scratching my head and struggling to care for large parts. I think TFA was hugely overrated, but none the less I still enjoyed it and wanted to watch it again right after my first viewing. I have no desire to watch Rogue 1 again tbh, but I probably will do in a few weeks just to see if I am being too harsh on it.
My condolences on not viewing this fine film in the theater. Your viewing experience is obviously lessened by the smaller tv screen.

As for whether or not you are being too harsh, the answer is YES!

Watch it again and let us REALLY know what you think.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #257
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
My condolences on not viewing this fine film in the theater. Your viewing experience is obviously lessened by the smaller tv screen.

As for whether or not you are being too harsh, the answer is YES!

Watch it again and let us REALLY know what you think.

Thank you, but your sympathy isn't required. I have a very nice home theater set up, and while I'd love to watch movies on the big screen in the cinema. Seeing them on a smaller screen doesn't really impact my feelings while watching it. Rogue 1 would have disappointed me equally on a bigger screen for all of the same reasons. The visuals (CGI characters aside) were one of the better aspects. It's the only Star wars movie I haven't immediately wanted to view again, and that includes ATOC which has been my least favorite. I will however give it another watch with a fresh mind soon, maybe now I know what to expect, I will appreciate the better aspects more so, but I doubt the characters will magically become more memorable or exciting. The droid had by far the most personality..
Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #258
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

give it a couple views python I think you'll warm up to it, the first time I saw it I wasnt impressed but after additional viewings i've really come to enjoy it, sometimes things just need to sink in, or its too much to take in after a single viewing
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #259
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
give it a couple views python I think you'll warm up to it, the first time I saw it I wasnt impressed but after additional viewings i've really come to enjoy it, sometimes things just need to sink in, or its too much to take in after a single viewing
I hope it does, I'll certainly give it another try.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #260
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Seeing them on a smaller screen doesn't really impact my feelings while watching it.
We will agree to disagree as watching a film of this caliber on an IMAX or Cinemark X-D screen ABSOLUTELY impacts what you are feeling, much less the surround sound.

Quote:
I will however give it another watch with a fresh mind soon, maybe now I know what to expect, I will appreciate the better aspects more so, but I doubt the characters will magically become more memorable or exciting. The droid had by far the most personality..
You may have a point here in regards to their performances as Felicity wasn't quite in the same league as Carrie Fisher, nor was Diego to Harrison.

Again, this is the curse of any future film, as we have a high bar set by some rather distinguished actors from the OT.

K2-SO definitely had a presence that made me laugh more than expected in a SW film, making his death unfortunate.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote