Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #41
rAd
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKYBABY555 View Post
I boiled this peice as well, had a few cracks but just filled em with a little crazy glue after it was boiled a few times I used a heat gun to cure the final details i sculpted in like the straps and warts and stuff.
how about if I don't have a heat gun? will re-boiling work after I fill the cracks with new sculpey? will re-boiling damage the cured sculpey?
rAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #42
rAd
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_000 View Post
I was able to find a huge pot that was about 12 inches in diameter and 16.5 inches tall. So, all I did was put the Hulk in the pot, fill with water, and boil in water for about 1 hour. The Hulk is solid 18+ pound of Super Sculpey and it did have minor cracks in some places afterwards. But boiling method cured the Sculpey to rock solid. Next project, I would try the steam the Sculpey instead of boiling it in water. The boiling point of water is 212 degrees Fahrenheit and, this is consistent with the other thread on baking Sculpey, the idea is about heating Sculpey at 200+ degrees (but less than the 275 degrees recommended) for a period of time. Sorry, I didn't use any fancy method on this.
thanks for the tips, let us know if the steam method will work
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #43
CHUCKYBABY555
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Im sure it will be fine but dont boil it for that long it cures so fast especially if its in thin layers, especially if only in such small amounts as filling in a crack
CHUCKYBABY555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #44
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAd View Post
thanks for the tips, let us know if the steam method will work
The steam method works. The add sculpts on this customized statue was steamed. I will use this method on my next project also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3111.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	45588  
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #45
rAd
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_000 View Post
The steam method works. The add sculpts on this customized statue was steamed. I will use this method on my next project also.
may I know how did you do the steam method?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #46
moore_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAd View Post
may I know how did you do the steam method?
I used a huge pot, bring a thin layer of water to boiling on the bottom, and have the sculpt prop up not touching the water inside the pot with the lid to steam. Apparently to cure Sculpey and Super Sculpey, it needed to be heat up (dry heat, boiling water or steam) to 200 to 275 degree for a period of time depending on the thickness.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #47
RokuroKubi
Doh!

I had a go at the steaming method. Something went catastrophically wrong and the sculpt cracked so badly that it looks like the only thing stopping it from falling to pieces is the armature.
I evidently screwed something up, but regardless, take that as a word of warning. Now I have crack filling to do.
RokuroKubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #48
moore_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokuroKubi View Post
I had a go at the steaming method. Something went catstrophicly wrong and the sculpt cracked so badly that it looks like the only thing stopping it from falling to pieces is the armature.
I evidently screwed something up, but regardless, take that as a word of warning. Now I have crack filling to do.
Can you post the picture of the sculpt after steamed. Was it a solid sculpt using Sculpey?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #49
moore_000

This was steamed so far, but I did not have the cracking problem.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #50
RokuroKubi
Doh!

Ah, didn't see this. I've already plugged up the cracks and slapped on a layer of paint.

This is the model. I got massive cracks on all the thicker parts (vertical on the chest and base) and a few hairlines around the thinner bits. The thick parts are very thick and aren't padded out (a serious lack of forethought) in any way. While I'm not very experienced with all this stuff, I'm inclined to think maybe steaming might be only suitable for relatively thin sculpey models given the rapid heating process.
RokuroKubi is offline   Reply With Quote