Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #21
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Why would she straddle the back of someone's head? Doesn't make any sense.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #22
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Might make more sense when it's done.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #23
jmsmith3388
The Avengers

Even though this isn't done yet, I can honestly say this is my least favorite statue I have seen from ARH.
jmsmith3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
Valkyrie

Why's that?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #25
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I can't get a feel for this piece either at this stage. It doesn't make sense to me the way she is kneeling on the head. Now.. as i look at it, and the expression on the succubus and the sculpt of the face... I wonder if in the final version, the head will be facing that direction.

If they turn the head around, I don't really care what the end result looks like, I'm buying it just because they had the balls to make it!

Joking aside though. I'm not a huge fan of the rough demon skin. I'm not a huge fan of the pose. A lot is going to rest on what the base looks like and on what the paint scheme is on it. I'm anxious to see more pics as it progresses. I have a lot of expectations for this piece.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #26
jmsmith3388
The Avengers

Just doesn't do it for me, looks like they are trying to force this whole "Sexy" theme a lot lately, but I guess sex sells. I really don't like the direction the base is going, It looks like the horns are attached to that crown/head band instead of the head itself.. Maybe I need to see it painted and a final base.
jmsmith3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
The13thWarlock

Sex is a definite sell. And, ARH doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of competition in that area. The question is this though... is this piece sexy? I don't know. Arkhalla Seduction is sexy... she looks like she is thinking about coming over and giving you a hell of a good time... or eating you. Arhian City of Horrors is sexy... she's saying, look my boobs are hanging out but I'll still chop your head off and put it with these other ones... Even the mermaids... they are like half covered up... maybe you can get some of this... maybe you'll just drown... sexy.

This piece... It isn't saying much yet. And I can't kill it, because its not done. The base is critical to what the piece will say and the story it will tell. The paint scheme is even more important.

I really hope they do something with that skin. I keep thinking that. Maybe I'm the only one. Reminds me of a burn victim. And I agree there is something about the horns too. I think the whole horn/hair arrangement could be done different.

I don't know. I'm glad I'm not a sculptor at times like this!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #28
Valkyrie

Well, they've been pushing "sexy" with their cast-off statues for years. Besides Gods and Heroes, that's kinda their thing. I feel they've only begun to push the envelope with the last Arkhalla and now this piece. Given that Vampires and Succubi are sexy creatures by nature, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I personally love the sculpt so far. Her expression looks like she's in ecstasy. I'm not seeing the problem with the horns. They look to be part of her head to me. Probably just the angle and flat color makes them blend in to the crown. The scales don't bother me in the least either. I want her to look a bit inhuman and not just someone cosplaying as a Succubus. Look up some images of Succubi and there's examples of them still having demonic features on their bodies. Some even have hooves.

I do agree the story the base tells could make or break it though. The paint app is another big question mark right now but I'll reserve judgment until I see the finished proto. I hope they nail it.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #29
The13thWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
The scales don't bother me in the least either. I want her to look a bit inhuman and not just someone cosplaying as a Succubus. Look up some images of Succubi and there's examples of them still having demonic features on their bodies. Some even have hooves.
I grew up in the 80's with first edition AD&D. To me a succubus looks like the art in the monster manual or Vault of the Drow. I'm not saying there are not renditions of scaled succubus out there... I'm saying that's not what I envision when I picture one. The scaled skin detracts from the attractiveness of the statue for me. The texture reminds me of burnt skin, which isn't sexy for the most part.

Here is the litmus test... if this thing came to you in a dream, would you have sex with it... I don't think I would.

Smooth out the skin... the horns and the wings say demon... even a tail is ok. Add more demon stuff to the character via jewelry and such. Make the horns more subtle... do more with the hair.

Now, you see it in a dream... you think... hey... thats one sexy girl... and its not till you get into the act do you realize... hey, are those horns? is that a tail behind her?

Thats a succubus.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #30
Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
I grew up in the 80's with first edition AD&D. To me a succubus looks like the art in the monster manual or Vault of the Drow. I'm not saying there are not renditions of scaled succubus out there... I'm saying that's not what I envision when I picture one. The scaled skin detracts from the attractiveness of the statue for me. The texture reminds me of burnt skin, which isn't sexy for the most part.

Here is the litmus test... if this thing came to you in a dream, would you have sex with it... I don't think I would.

Smooth out the skin... the horns and the wings say demon... even a tail is ok. Add more demon stuff to the character via jewelry and such. Make the horns more subtle... do more with the hair.

Now, you see it in a dream... you think... hey... thats one sexy girl... and its not till you get into the act do you realize... hey, are those horns? is that a tail behind her?

Thats a succubus.
Regarding your litmus test, I don't think you'd have a choice in the matter.

I think I get what you're saying about the skin. It sounds like you're wanting to see the "before" version but we're getting the "after" version in her true form. Maybe it will come together for you when it's painted.

Again, I prefer that she has some demonic features beyond the usual horns, wings, and tail. That's too easy.