Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 AM   #621
daviddukemd
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Just as examples the rough sketch of multiple figures is $2300, but the more complete old nude in the chair is only $700, so subject matter is important I guess. I spoke with Danielle this morning and told her kind of what I was hoping for and she said she would talk to her dad (Billy) and see what he had that he would be willing to part with and get back to me. I have no idea what prices they might be but I am kind of thinking I really want something from Frank in my collection and go big or go home, but if it is just too cost prohibitive I will probably still pick something already available just so I at least have something. I will of course post pics if I buy anything
I think both sketches are awesome, but personally I wouldn’t get the nude just because it doesn’t read Frazetta, it’s just an academic exercise very well executed but that could belong to anyone, the other sketch does look like Frazetta made it and would be something that I would be really proud to own
daviddukemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #622
daviddukemd
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
That is really nice work man! Like CS Moore Barbarian the early statues kind of had a minimalist approach to paint apps and I think they are generally really improved with a nice paint job.
Very true, fortunately they were great sculptures, you can always repaint them, there is not that much you can do to improve a bad sculpture
daviddukemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #623
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddukemd View Post
I think both sketches are awesome, but personally I wouldn’t get the nude just because it doesn’t read Frazetta, it’s just an academic exercise very well executed but that could belong to anyone, the other sketch does look like Frazetta made it and would be something that I would be really proud to own
I'm for sure not going with either of those I posted, I just wanted to show examples and price ranges. I know on that Heritage past sales link I showed the extremely rough outlline of what became "The Barbarian" went for $11K and that was in 2002 so obviously something like that is out of play but we discussed some other stuff and I have some options I might go with but I want to see what Billy is willing to let go and for how much before I decide. I think I am going to get something though. Even if just a rough skectch it would be cool to have something from the masters hand in my collection.

I was on a cruise once and they had some absolute crap IMO from Picasso, just scribbling on a small piece of paper and that went for $12K, but then if I had to keep it for myself and was never allowed to sell it I wouldn't pay $50 for Picasso's best work so I'm sure I'm biased.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #624
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I guess it was 2015 and it included the rough Barbarian sketch, another small pencil sketch and like a typed card from the editor/publisher at Lancer saying Frank had given him the rough sketch and he had it ever since which I guess would be like a kind of "COA". It went for $11,352.50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frazetta Barbarian rough.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	121632  
Old 03-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #625
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

This DD card is signed but is only 2.75" x 4.25" and had coffee spilled on it and still went for over $5K but in 2010, probably right after he died.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frazetta DD card.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	121634  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #626
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

While having an original Frazetta anything would be great, without the signature I would be less inclined. There is so much crap floating around on ebay it kind of turned me off to the "original" doodles.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #627
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
While having an original Frazetta anything would be great, without the signature I would be less inclined. There is so much crap floating around on ebay it kind of turned me off to the "original" doodles.
Agreed which is why I will only buy directly from the family. This would come with COA from his son Bill. I do already have 3 signatures but no original artwork. The Dark Kingdom was produced by Frazetta himself and was supposed to come signed. But then it was delayed and people started complaining so they sent us all a copy of a sketch but with his original signature (and one by Frank Jr for some reason). And then we got these original signatures on steel plates in the mail and people complained again so he ended up signing the bottom of the statue as well. At that time he was charging $250 just for his signature on anything so to get 3 on a $479 statue was a good deal. Even more so now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E5F1658-F171-432E-8D3A-B7A98A4E6263.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	121704   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	121705  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #628
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I don’t know why pic of plate dig didn’t attach
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	121706  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #629
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Those are very cool. I have two comics with signatures so I am very happy about that. But yeah, getting some actual original artwork would be amazing, even if it was something small.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 AM   #630
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Whoa! Buckle up boys the original Eqyptian Queen is going up for auction at Heritage Auctions. I am positive it will bring $2 million. I wouldn't be surprised to se $2.5 million.