Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Home Repair

Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Jesse321
Galactus

bypassing a ballast on a light fixture

Does any kind soul know anything about how to bypass a ballast on a florescent light fixture?

I bought some new LED T8 bulbs for my work shop which are WAY better than what I have, but I have to bypass the ballast on my light fixture, and I have NO CLUE what so ever how to do that.

Here's what the ballast looks like ... there are 2 yellow wires coming from the left, and 2 blue and 2 red from the right.

Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
insomniac
Loki

I am no expert so consider this more of a bump than any info I would take to the bank. A few years ago I hooked up 2 ballasts for my aquarium canopy and that is about the extent of my expertise. I assume what you mean by bypassing the ballast is that your new lights no longer need a ballast. It needs to be connected directly to the power. The black and white wires coming into your system is providing power. The green is a ground. If you disconnect the black and white wires at the first caps you will disconnect the power. I am assume you must connect these 2 wires to your new lamps. The red and blue wires simply provide electricity to the fixture ends. The same applies to the white or yellow wires on the other end. Once you have disconnected the white and black wires at the cap your ballast will no longer receive power and you can essentially remove it. Again, I am working from memory and I am no expert. Hopefully someone more knowledgeble will speak up.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Jesse321
Galactus

Thanks, I figured out to do it this morning after a good night's sleep and approaching this with a clear head. I now have LED lighting in my workshop.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
insomniac
Loki

Congrats Jesse. Were any of my observations correct?
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Jesse321
Galactus

Yes ...

Black = Hot Wire
White = Neutral
Green = Ground

It was just a matter of the white had to go to one side and the black to the other ... it actually turned out to be really easy once I thought it out.

I took the ballast out all together, because it really served no purpose, as I'm never going to convert this unit back again. It will be a lot easier (not to mention cheaper as the ballasts are the most expensive parts of these units) when industry catches up with technology and starts offering these types of units to the mass market.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Thanks, I figured out to do it this morning after a good night's sleep and approaching this with a clear head. I now have LED lighting in my workshop.

Cool! How long are those LED lights? Do the fit into a standard florescent fixture? Where'd you get 'em?
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

of course. after i compiled a whole thing for you on facebook.

glad it worked out for you
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Cool! How long are those LED lights? Do the fit into a standard florescent fixture? Where'd you get 'em?
48" they fit into any standard fixture, you just have to remove the ballast and give it a straight 110 connection ... which is actually much easier than it sounds.

I picked them up at the Ft. Lauderdale Home Show this weekend ... the set was 70 on show special and they're supposed to last up to 100,000 hours.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
48" they fit into any standard fixture, you just have to remove the ballast and give it a straight 110 connection ... which is actually much easier than it sounds.

I picked them up at the Ft. Lauderdale Home Show this weekend ... the set was 70 on show special and they're supposed to last up to 100,000 hours.
Thanks for the info Jesse! I may have to go hunt some of these down to replace the stinkin' florescents I have in my house.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Jesse321
Galactus

I have their business card here somewhere, I'll post their website in a bit.