Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 PM   #101
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
I think the hair is the worst part of most statues.

Honestly, I bet many of the nitpickers wouldn't buy this statue regardless of Prime 1's final decisions. I mainly care about the price which will almost certainly be higher than the 1/2 WW.
100% this, although I think each side has fair points.

For me, I actually agree with forps, presentation of said opinion aside. The complaints about maintaining the hair to me are the same as the paranoia surrounding mixed media, i.e. deterioration is not a problem unless you plan to neglect your statues. Yes, they require more attention (dusting bi-weekly does the trick for me) but I'd personally rather do that to A) have a more convincingly realistic-looking piece compared to chunky sculpted hair rather than B) spend thousands of dollars on protective cabinets just to reduce the dusting to bi-monthly. I've had most of my mixed media pieces for at least two years and they look the same as when I first unboxed them.

That said, these WW pieces made me realize P1 is still in its infancy when it comes to art direction, similar to XM a couple of years ago. This applies to their poses and, in this case, their choices with paint application and where to apply mixed media. Statues like Arkahm Two-Face or 1:2 scale Batfleck take advantage of P1's technological prowess with their rough and grotesque sculpted textures and layered translucent resin. But even reviews I saw praising the comparatively smoother BVS Superman or Arkham Harley mentioned the translucent resin casting on the hands and face look more waxy than the costumes.

I look forward to seeing P1 grow but I think their much-deserved hype in most areas of their production overshadows some drawbacks to their approach. The more close-ups I see of the sculpted fur details on WW's horse next to the real hair, the less convinced I am of its predicted masterpiece status.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #102
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
B) spend thousands of dollars on protective cabinets just to reduce the dusting to bi-monthly.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #103
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
100% this, although I think each side has fair points.

For me, I actually agree with forps, presentation of said opinion aside.

Thanks, pal.

Actually there arent over 10 people writing about "all statues should be full-sculpted, dude. Full-sculpted FTW, dude. We hate mixed media, dude". They are the same guys. In some instances, they even convinced Sideshow that full-sculpt and ONLY full-sculpt is the way.

I and jadekite22 above have a different approach. Some sculpts and some scales NEED mixed media. PERIOD. Other sculpts translate better when being full-sculpted, other sculpts when they have mixed media elements. WHY is it so difficult for some guys to GET the obvious?

Check out XM's Luke being full-sculpted. I cant even look at it. Spiderman on the other hand can have a statue being full-sculpted, his costume translates good in sculpted form. Another example is Joker. A Joker 1/2 and above should ALWAYS have mixed media.

Guys, you must not be stubborn. Some statues need mixed media, some statues need rooted hair and some other statues or scales look better full-sculpted. WHY do we have to discuss the obvious ?
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #104
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I am not arguing against mixed media I have many in my collection. I've owned pieces with real hair and over time I've come to dislike real hair in my collection.

Why can't you grasp that.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #105
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I really want a WW piece for my collection and I hope this is affordable cause I think it's the one I want.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #106
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersfan57 View Post
I really want a WW piece for my collection and I hope this is affordable cause I think it's the one I want.
Affordable is a relative term.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #107
Vince_be
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

it looks like it's 1/4? Is it ?
Vince_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #108
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_be View Post
it looks like it's 1/4? Is it ?
1/3
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #109
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
Once again the same old thing. Last time forps is losing time explaining the OBVIOUS to whoever has an even far relation with ART. Anything 1/2 or 1/1 scale NEEDS mixed media (unless the character wears a tight uniform or costume) and rooted hair. PERIOD. A character who wears CLOTHES, would look like a big toy if its sculpted and NOT MIXED MEDIA.

The only way to avoid this is to sculpt him/her on marble/alabaster (NON-COLOURED of course). NON COLOURED on marble/alabaster. NO OTHER F.....G WAY. PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD. So character with clothes = MIXED MEDIA is a must for 1/2 or 1/1 sculpts. Hair = must for 1/2 and 1/1 sculpts. PERIOD.

Check out the ATROCIOUS Joker 1/1 from Muckle where the sculpted clothes look like CRAP. CRAP.

Some guys (working in wax museums) do this for a living and we have some internet warriors wanting sculpted clothes on a big Joker sculpt 1/2 or sculpted hair on 1/2 or 1/1. GOD save me from this madness!!!

1/4 and 1/3 statues can have sculpted hair cause they can be forgiven for less REALISM. BIG SCULPTS, near Life size, NEVER. PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD.

When you go life size, your no1 interest is to achieve REALISM, not to have a life sized TOY. To have a near perfect and REALISTIC version/copy of a character. Its obvious, isnt it ? Isnt it, for gods sake ?

Check photos of 1/1 Joker of Muckle, for 1 dam... time. Just 1 photo and then return to mock me if im wrong!

Or check out the new Luke from XM. Its 1/4 and even at that SMALL scale, sculpted clothes look CRAP. CRAP. Sculpted is suited for characterS with tight costumes (not clothes) and for 1/5,1/4 and 1/3 scale at most. OVER that scale, mixed media is a MUST. PERIOD.

The same applies to 1/2 scaled statues. Hair is a MUST, you are trying to achieve realism, this is the REASON to have such a big sculpt. Its obvious! Or maybe its not!
Hmmm.... I must say I agree with Forps on the hair if we are going for realism. I'm not a mixed media fan but it does work for the bigger statues in most cases. Not all but it does work on some.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 AM   #110
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Affordable is a relative term.
Very true!
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote