Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #191
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Another thing is I don’t think popularity in one area directly translates to sales in another area.

I remember someone from Marvel years ago saying that they realized movies don’t bring in many new readers. Loving the movie doesn’t inspire too many people to go buy the books

Another example is just the opposite of this Doctor Strange, that some characters are very popular with statue collectors and sell well but they couldn’t sustain a monthly solo title if their fictional life depended on it.

A different example, Miles Morales. He’s always been popular. He’s been in the news. He’s always maintained a solo comic while costarring in other books (Avengers, Champions). He’s very popular with people of color. And now he’s starred in a movie that was #1 at the box office, an Oscar and Golden Globe Winner for best Animated film, is the highest rated Spider-Man movie thus far, and stayed pretty faithful to the comics. His PF also has relatively low ES and is still in stock. His comic and movie popularity didn’t translate to stronger orders for what is a well received PF.

So Doctor Strange doesn’t surprise me at all.
All very valid points, maybe apart from into the spider verse ratings which were clearly affected by politics. It's a good animated feature but it's far from the best spidey movie. But that's my opinion.
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #192
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I loved the Miles PF, I was set to buy him but as your collection grows, your space dwindles and you gotta decided which direction you want your collection to go. So spider man theme ended up on the way out for me, which brings me to Dr Strange. He's an awesome statue but doesn't fit any collection.

This is just a thought on my end, but perhaps only comic fans end up buying statues. Since movies don't translate into book sales, then maybe its book sales is what drives the statues? Since marvel movie fans who don't read comics then are wondering why this captain america PF doesn't look like the movie cap?
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #193
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

To me, Strange is an essential member of the Defenders (along with Hulk, Silver Surfer, Namor and Valkyrie). I really don't know why Marvel ignores the founding Defenders every chance they get, even giving the name to the DD led Netflix team. I am hoping they tease the Defenders in the next Strange movie, but the more I read it doesn't sound likely.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #194
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
To me, Strange is an essential member of the Defenders (along with Hulk, Silver Surfer, Namor and Valkyrie). I really don't know why Marvel ignores the founding Defenders every chance they get, even giving the name to the DD led Netflix team. I am hoping they tease the Defenders in the next Strange movie, but the more I read it doesn't sound likely.
Would be a good way to introduce Silver Surfer if they don’t want to go the standard FF story route. SS still has the herald of Galactus history, he’s free at this point, and can join up with Strange, Hulk and Valkyrie since the already know each other, maybe use Mephisto as the bad guy or dive in more on Dormammu.

I’m convinced the underwater earthquakes in Endgame was a Namor reference so maybe they already have a plan for him. Doubt that line was for no reason.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #195
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadAsGhoul View Post
All very valid points, maybe apart from into the spider verse ratings which were clearly affected by politics. It's a good animated feature but it's far from the best spidey movie. But that's my opinion.
Curious...affected by politics? That’s not something clear to me. I just figured people generally like the movie. How do mean though?
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #196
Cnote187
Fantastic Four

Is it me or is this like a must own piece? This might be my favorite Dr. S ever
Cnote187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #197
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote187 View Post
Is it me or is this like a must own piece? This might be my favorite Dr. S ever
This definitely is the best DR strange statue I have ever seen.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #198
Cygor
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Anyone heard anything? Says november on the website

I bought mine from a retailer (He usually gets sideshow statues a month after they start shipping from Sideshow)

Any shipping/final invoice for you direct buyers?
Cygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #199
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I think he meant an explanation.

Which for me is simple. Dr Strange doesn't carry the weight of Gambit, the X-men have always and will always sell more than a character like Dr. Strange. Domino is a female statue, they generally have larger edition sizes, even of lesser characters and again, X-men.

Dr. Strange is a nearly $700 statue of a character that has never been widely popular. Even his film in all the movies released in phase 3 had the least box office.

So while yes, he might have more visibility now if you go the list of Long time Marvel readers, who might want a statue of him and are willing to pay nearly $700 to do so, you might find the number dwindling as you check the boxes.

However the 3 of you who aren't buying due to the fabric cape we'll take into account at the end of the list.
I probably would have gotten him is they had a switch out regular hand. The mystical ring is not working for me and ruined it
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #200
Tempest
Justice League

Well, I've been contemplating this since I saw it this summer in one of their Cons. I bit the bullet and used $200 in rewards to ease the blow. Hope it looks as good as, or close to, the prototype.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote