Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #41
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
They come up to our cabin all the time, drink from the lake right out front. They're quite a sight, believe me.

Still, they have to be hunted, or they'd destroy a lot of the landscape, since we've driven off most all of their former natural predators.
I know what you mean. My mother in law lives in the Sacramento mountains in New Mexico in the middle of nowhere in an awesome home....Outside in the morning, you can look out the window and see them looking at you about 20 feet from the house. It's private land, so they know they're safe...I don't know how, but they do! When I'm hunting, if they smell me 200 feet away, they bolt! At my mom's, you can walk out to your car, and they won't budge!

At night I would go spotlighting in the jeep. Not 1 mile away from the cabin is a huge hill with a big ditch that drops about 50 feet separating me from them. Turn on the light and turn off the radio, they all turn around, and there are about 800 pair of eyes staring back at you (shiny yellow at night), then they all run down the side of the hill and looks like the whole mountain is moving. It's probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen out there besides the land.
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #42
twistedfreak
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

That is quite the picture there.
twistedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #43
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPUFF View Post
I know what you mean. My mother in law lives in the Sacramento mountains in New Mexico in the middle of nowhere in an awesome home....Outside in the morning, you can look out the window and see them looking at you about 20 feet from the house. It's private land, so they know they're safe...I don't know how, but they do! When I'm hunting, if they smell me 200 feet away, they bolt! At my mom's, you can walk out to your car, and they won't budge!

At night I would go spotlighting in the jeep. Not 1 mile away from the cabin is a huge hill with a big ditch that drops about 50 feet separating me from them. Turn on the light and turn off the radio, they all turn around, and there are about 800 pair of eyes staring back at you (shiny yellow at night), then they all run down the side of the hill and looks like the whole mountain is moving. It's probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen out there besides the land.

I know just the sight you're describing. It is beautiful, isn't it?

And you're right about them knowing when they're safe and when they're not. Instinct, I guess, but it's still astounding. They can still get spooked if we're too loud at the cabin, but generally, they'll just stroll up and start to take a drink. It's only when my daughters are there and start yelling "ELK!! I SEE THE ELK!!!" that they decide they want to move on rather quickly...
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #44
FlyAndFight
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPUFF View Post
That was me....elk meat is DA' BOMB DIGGITY!
Best steaks I've ever had. Had them last year in Beaver Creek, CO. The most tender and delicious steak I've ever had.

Hunting is not only necessary for all of the previous reasons provided but also a right that should never be allowed to be taken away...
FlyAndFight is offline   Reply With Quote